Building a $1200 gaming PC

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Gaming
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2013 4:55:31 PM

Alright guys, I'm new to building PCs an I'm looking to build a gaming rig. After a few weeks of research and studying and some advice from friends, I put together a list for the computer I want to build. It'll be used mostly for gaming. I just want some feedback on what you think, please let me know if i should get different/better parts or cheaper components. My budget is around $1200 for the tower only. I have a VGA monitor im willing to use for a while and a mouse/keyboard/speakers.
I thought I'd buy the parts over time with the final parts being the CPU, mobo and GPU bought at the same time.
I'm buying mostly from Newegg and Amazon. I might get some from best buy too, (unlikely though).

Here are the specs:

CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
Heat Sink: CM Hyper 212 Evo
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x 4gb)
GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB/OC
PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600w
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 922

I already have the PSU, Case and HDD so those are basically locked in. I still haven't received the PSU yet so I can return it once it gets here if you think there's a better one for me.
I went with intel over AMD because I heard they were better for gaming. I was stuck on getting an AM3+ mobo and a FX-4300 but I decided to put a little more money into a "better" CPU.

Any feedback and advice is appreciated. I'm really stoked to get this thing together.

More about : building 1200 gaming

January 15, 2013 5:11:06 PM

looks good. make sure to purchase 64 bit windows oem
January 15, 2013 5:14:36 PM

alvine said:
looks good. make sure to purchase 64 bit windows oem

Oh right. Forgot to put that down. 64-bit. Thanks!
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
January 15, 2013 6:58:50 PM

I wouldn't 'make sure' to get the OEM version. It only works once and technically you're not even allowed to use it for yourself, it is designed for a PC you're going to sell.

The retail version means more support from Microsoft and unlimited uses (one at a time). If you can't afford it, you're free to go for OEM though.

Just a note as well, that link is for an upgrade from Windows 7 Starter to Home Premium. It isn't a full copy. EDIT: What the hell man, there are no links. I think I have some dodgy software on my PC that turns keywords into links or something. Toms doesn't normally do this. Never mind :p 
January 15, 2013 7:03:53 PM

Ok, I think I'm going retail anyway. Any idea on how much retail costs versus OEM? I can get OEM for $99 on newegg.
!