Sign in with
Your question

New HD7850 Problems

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 3:47:10 PM

I just bought a VTX HD7850, I am getting artifacting like

(That's in furmark, but it also happens in lots of other stuff)

Specs:

Intel 2500k
VTX HD7850 2GB Standard (No overclock, the issues persist even if I lower the clocks)
550W CiT PSU
2 Standard SATA hard drives
2x8GB of RAM

Wonder if the issue is the card or the power supply or another issue I had overlooked, it's driving me crazy. Thanks

More about : hd7850 problems

December 1, 2012 3:52:44 PM

Your power supply is absolute trash. It's the most likely cause of your problems.
Related resources
December 1, 2012 3:56:41 PM

I had been using a HD5750 and it has worked fine with this PSU up until this point, while I realize it's a pretty crap PSU I'd had no problems so far so I was inclined to blame the new part. Is the increase in power from the HD5750 at load to the HD7850 at load likely to have caused this?
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 4:01:12 PM

Indeed the increased load would cause it. More specific the fact that now you have to use a 6 pin power connection, which isn't giving out steady voltage.

Here's an excellent deal on a PSU though if you want to go for a higher quality one for some extra money: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
December 1, 2012 4:12:00 PM

the HD5750 Used the 6-Pin connector too, I'm just unwilling to fork out money on a PSU if it might be the card but hey-ho. I'm in the UK so I can't get that deal, do you know of any others?
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 4:42:48 PM

jawline said:
http://www.box.co.uk/550W_Modular_Powercool_Black_PSU_8... How does this look in terms of a PSU?

No, heres a great place to look at the different tests done to all the big name PSU's: http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page541.htm

Antec and Seasonic are what I've used in the past and continue to recommend, Corsair, PC Power and Cooling, are also very good companies though I've never a PSU from them. XFX the Core series are made by Seasonic, thats what I run and I like it. Then there's companies like Rosewill, and Cooler Master that have some good lines and some bad ones, thats what that chart is really helpful for.
December 1, 2012 5:34:54 PM

What power rating should I be looking at, have been looking at 550W 80+ Cert. Is that enough/too much?
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 6:07:25 PM

That one is ok. Fairly solid PSU with good amps over the +12v and all of the connections you should need.
December 1, 2012 6:17:38 PM

I'm still not entirely convinced it's the PSU though, While I know it needs and upgrade the card always seems to give up and start artifacting at the same temperatures. And it wasn't doing this (Or at least not that i know of) on thursday when I got it. Also underclocking (Even drastically) doesn't seem to help.
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 6:20:12 PM

Well, another option would be to uninstall and wipe your video drivers and install the latest stable release from AMD, see if that clears it up.
December 1, 2012 6:23:06 PM

Did one better and wiped/reinstalled Windows when the problems started happening. No joy I'm afraid (Changed from the CCC beta to the current stable release in the process)
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 6:26:48 PM

jawline said:
... the card always seems to give up and start artifacting at the same temperatures.

What temps would those be? It could be a heat problem ranging from bad contact with the heatsink to poor airflow in the case.
December 1, 2012 6:28:20 PM

50 Degrees C, Temperatures I wouldn't normally worry about.
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 6:30:09 PM

Do you or a friend have another pc, better psu you can test with? That's always the first thing I do is swap stuff around with good/known working stuff.
December 1, 2012 6:41:48 PM

Regrettably no. I've ordered a new PSU now but if the card is also at fault I need to return it within the grace period distance selling regs provides. (14 days) - not sure if the replacement PSU will arrive in that period
December 1, 2012 10:21:28 PM

Sorry for the double power/bump but
What would be the signs that a graphics card at peak was not receiving enough power as opposed to a graphics card fault?
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 10:37:55 PM

jawline said:
Sorry for the double power/bump but
What would be the signs that a graphics card at peak was not receiving enough power as opposed to a graphics card fault?

the behavior would be close to the same.

but the reason most are looking at your PSU is the off brand that it is. and doing a bit of investigating, i'll agree.

that PSU looks like it has two 12 volt rails @ 16 amps each for 384 watts.

a decent PSU will have ~80% of its total power on the 12 volt rail. in the case of a 550 that would be 550*.8= 440 watts. so that one with 28 amps on the 3.3 and 30 amps on the 5 volt rails is more like a 480 watt PSU (384/.8) because those rails do not get used as much any more and the 3.3 and 5 volt rails are "juiced up" to label the wattage higher powered than in reality.

getting another PSU will benefit you no matter even if it turns out the card is flonky.
December 1, 2012 11:21:47 PM

Balls. I just cant find reports of other peoples experience with underpowered cards so im finding it hard to diagnose. the new psu is on its way i guess
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2012 11:40:40 PM

It's not that your PSU is under powered, its that it's just not putting out the right voltage to your card, it can be either to high or to low. Just throwing that out there to help you research,
December 1, 2012 11:43:01 PM

The right voltage? Given that this PSU with the 6-Pin worked with a 5750 would that still be the case? I found a article on it on the AMD website but all they state is "Instability" not really describing that what means. Might try chucking it in a housemates desktop and seeing if I have issues
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2012 2:27:45 AM

jawline said:
The right voltage? Given that this PSU with the 6-Pin worked with a 5750 would that still be the case? I found a article on it on the AMD website but all they state is "Instability" not really describing that what means. Might try chucking it in a housemates desktop and seeing if I have issues

it would not be correct to assume that the 5750 and the 7850 would use the same amount of power based on power connections.
the 5750 will use 80 watts, just more than the 75 supplied by the PCI slot, with the 7850 using 100 to 125 based on the card. granted 20 watts isn't much but what is really suspect is the weak 12 volt rail your PSU has for a supposedly 550 watt PSU. from the specs i seen @ http://www.amazon.co.uk/550W-Gold-Silent-Power-Supply/d...
Quote:
Specifications AC INPUT: 230V ~60/50Hz 5A Model 550U DC Output Max +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5VSB 28A 30A 16A 16A 0.3A 2.5A 550W

two 16 amp rails is under powered.
it doesn't specify whether that "peek" "maximum" or "continuous". nor is it an 80+ or bronze certified.

no name off brand PSUs have been known to not be able to deliver half the "labeled" wattage. the ~20 more watts could very well be enough to cause too much stress on it. the card may be flonky and needs replaced but honestly that PSU has FAIL written all over it.
December 2, 2012 11:08:13 AM

I suspect the PSU is at fault too, I'm just confused as to why the graphics card actually worked fine (Albiet the performance increase from a 5750 was a little less than I'd expected) for like two days before grapping out whenever it hit ~50degrees

I suppose the extra load on the PSU could have buggered it.
December 2, 2012 2:39:34 PM

Quick note: Tried it in a friends machine and it still happens. It's the bloody GPU as I thought, Going to send very strongly worded emails to the company I bought them from (If you ever see Pixmania, AVOID, I've had nothing but trouble from the. They even sent the wrong card in the first place) What a pain in the arse. I guess it's back to the reliable Saphire 5750 for me...
!