Photoshop/Lightroom Computer Build

Hi,

I'm working on a build that will run photoshop/lightroom/portrait professional extremely well on a budget. I'm looking to spend around $1,500 and get the best bang for my buck but am willing to go a little more if I can get a lot more out in performance. Below is the build I've put together. I plan on running the 2 HDD's in Raid 1 for data protection and putitng all programs on the SSD and using that as overflow from my RAM for my scratch disk. I've read that having a seperate scratch disk is best, however I don't think I'll need that much headroom over the RAM. Please advise on anything I could get a better bang for my buck with!

Also, if the card reader/wireless card suck please do tell and recommend something better! I also think I may have gone a little overboard with the power supply but somewhere down the line I may decide to add a video card to the system so that I can have dual monitors.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xLPp
3 answers Last reply
More about photoshop lightroom computer build
  1. If you are using a RAID setup, I would suggest using these hard drives over the Seagate:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136792

On the USB 3.0 - the mobo/case should have USB 3.0 ports on them...

I am using the same mobo/processor/RAM - I only have 16GB RAM and I haven't utilized 100% of the RAM - I don't edit super huge files with CS6.

I was amazed that Photoshop loads in 2-3 seconds, and most files are almost instant. On the old PC, with CS4, it would take 45-60 seconds to open, and 3-5 minutes on several files.
  2. The mobo does have usb 3.0 ports on the outside but the card I'm adding has a 20pin internal USB connector on the inside which means I won't need to use the USB pass through from inside to outside the case and will also add a couple of USB 3.0 ports.

May I ask why you suggest that hard drive over the seagates? They are slightly more than double the cost each.
  3. Reliability and they are designed for RAID configurations. Nothing against Seagate - they make great drives. For single drive configurations, they do a great job. When you go to a RAID configuration, the WD Black drives are the best.

To compare apples to apples, the WD Green drives are close to the same price.

On non-critical data applications, I have used a mix of WD Green and Seagate in non-RAID configurations because of the price.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Photoshop Systems Product