Sign in with
Your question
Closed

7970 Performance Dissapointing?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 5:47:54 PM

I have a dual x sapphire 7970 and is overclocked to 1100 on the core and 1675 on the memory and stays very cool. But playing some games i have been thinking if something is wrong as i thought id easily be able to max mostly everything out at 60 fps pretty much constantly.

I play games at 1080p and here are some of my avg fps..

Sleeping Dogs Maxed Out with Hd Textures 45 FPS
Skyrim Maxed Out with Hd Textures and Realistic Lighting Mod 40 FPS

I have an i5 3570k so i dont think the cpu is the issue. I also have 8gbs of ram.

Most of the time using Msi Afterburner i see that my gpu is working up to full capacity as it often is 99% load when playing games.

I also have Catalyst 12.10 so i think drivers are up to date, and when i play a game, all i have in the background is Msi Afterburner and my Security Software.

Any help would be appreciated!
December 1, 2012 6:31:45 PM

Well it's not your fault over half the members on this forum claim they can max out all games and avg 60+ fps with there 7970 or 670 i have come to find that is quite misleading even at 1920 x 1080 in games like 1.64 maps bf3 2. Crysis 2, and Crysis Warhead
3. Metro 2033
4. ARMA II.
5. GTA4
6. witcher+ubersampling
7. Alien VS Predator
8.BATMAN ARKHAM CITY i do not avg 60fps with a single 670 and neither can my neighbor with his 7970 i don't own Sleeping Dogs and i do not know much about the game hopefully other members will reply soon good luck!
Score
December 1, 2012 6:50:06 PM

@ OP: can you please list all your machine specs including PSU and OS? What monitor are you using? What is its refresh rate and do you set vertical sync on?
Score
Related resources
December 1, 2012 6:51:59 PM

technoholic said:
@ OP: can you please list all your machine specs including PSU and OS? What monitor are you using? What is its refresh rate and do you set vertical sync on?

Vertical Sync is on.
Windows 7
700 Watt PSU
1080p 60hz refresh rate on my monitor
Score
December 1, 2012 7:04:07 PM

Well, honestly i am not sure if that PSU is capable of this system since both cards are heavily OC'd. Your CPU is Oc'd also? Let's try something. Go to this site and download/install CAP1 driver:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/radeon_win...

After that try your games

Edit: By the way, you are using Cross Fire yes? or do i get it wrong?
Score
December 1, 2012 7:08:51 PM

technoholic said:
Well, honestly i am not sure if that PSU is capable of this system since both cards are heavily OC'd. Your CPU is Oc'd also? Let's try something. Go to this site and download/install CAP1 driver:

http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/pages/radeon_win...

After that try your games

Edit: By the way, you are using Cross Fire yes? or do i get it wrong?

No im not in crossfire and my cpu is not overclocked. I also have my gpu overclocked without voltage change, so i think my psu isnt the problem.
Score
December 1, 2012 7:10:45 PM

Can you try down-clocking your card to the original values? What brand/make is your PSU and for how long have you been using it?
Score
December 1, 2012 7:19:36 PM

technoholic said:
Can you try down-clocking your card to the original values? What brand/make is your PSU and for how long have you been using it?

Ill try downclocking to original values now. Also its Thermaltake. I know its not the best psu but it seems good.
Score
December 1, 2012 7:22:08 PM

Hmm maybe try uninstalling catalyst and installing a 12.11 beta? or try setting v-sync off and see? I saw some people in this forum experiencing similar performance drops with certain drivers. These come to my mind now
Score
December 1, 2012 7:29:56 PM

technoholic said:
Hmm maybe try uninstalling catalyst and installing a 12.11 beta? or try setting v-sync off and see? I saw some people in this forum experiencing similar performance drops with certain drivers. These come to my mind now

I underclocked it and i just loss more fps. I tried with v sync on and off and theres not much of a difference. I looked at what the 12.11 beta does and there are no improvements for skyrim ( tho there is for sleeping dogs )..i dont know what could be wrong
Score

Best solution

December 1, 2012 7:47:32 PM

Try to tick down FXAA level a bit and see in sleeping dogs? For Skyrim, i don't have any idea about how much performance impact those mods would create, so i can't say anything
December 1, 2012 7:52:54 PM

The games you play are very demanding titles sleeping dogs should have around that performance on the pc but does seem kind of low. Its most likely due to the silicon lottery for your card not performing well.
Score
December 1, 2012 7:55:03 PM

Well i think Sleeping Dogs is so heavily demanding that it brings down the fastest cards to their knees (almost). But shouldn't the OP get some like 50+ FPS for his heavy overclock?
Score
December 1, 2012 8:05:19 PM

I see these sorts of threads daily i think it's because members asking for help are told they will max all games out with ease then when they find out otherwise they want a answer
Score
December 1, 2012 8:11:06 PM

i agree with bigcyco he is a guy to listen to he has helped me once or twice before.
Score
December 1, 2012 8:15:25 PM

thanks for everyone who helped. I bet if i just turn some settings like anti alliasing down a notch my performace will improve.
Score
December 1, 2012 8:18:55 PM

bigcyco1 said:
I see these sorts of threads daily i think it's because members asking for help are told they will max all games out with ease then when they find out otherwise they want a answer

This is it right here. I can not agree more.
Hell some games even held back the damn 8800GTX(once a powerful card) @ 1280 x 1024 :( 

I always tweak my settings per game to get the frame rate I want(some games max while others I have NO chance on[just a little reduction in quality goes a long way]. Then again I still have a 5870).
Score
December 1, 2012 8:51:01 PM

Best answer selected by AngryConfusedRabbit.
Score
December 2, 2012 1:48:19 AM

Do you average 40-45 in Sleeping Dogs? Or is that your max FPS? I would def guess you could hit higher then that as a max since your card is OC'd. I have a non overclocked 7950 and with HD textures and everything fully maxed I can hit over 60 fps in some areas in sleeping dogs, of course that being while standing still and not running around. I typically average 35-45FPS while running around.. and again, i'm on a non overclocked 7950.

However, I am using the 12.11 Beta drivers which gives a decent performance boost in Sleeping Dogs and other games. I would suggest uninstalling 12.10 and get the 12.11 Beta drivers and see if that helps any.

And another thing to note.. sometimes higher over clocks can actually decrease performance. I would mess around with the OC a bit and see if this is the case. No 2 cards overclock the same, so its just something to be aware of and check into.
Score
!