Sign in with
Your question

Graphics Card Choice! Need help please!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 5:56:45 PM

Hi everyone, I currently have built a computer system and all I need left is to buy the graphics card!

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: December-Jan/Feb (can wait if new cards come out) BUDGET RANGE: MAX $400 After Rebates

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Watching Movies at max resolutions on XMBC (Home theater system/Gaming system), Gaming as games stated above! I also photo edit and enjoy making videos sometimes. For the needs of the graphics card, I need it to be able to support multiple monitors! I love playing Flight Simulator X so thats one game I'd like to have on super high ultra graphics (even though I believe FSX doesn't need much graphics) Other than that, I play Assassins Creed 3, BF3, and Black Ops 2 at the moment. I would like to be able to play any game at the three monitor resolutions (5600 x 1200 I think). Also I really want this computer to be as future proof as possible!

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: No GPU using Intel 4000 of the i7, Corsair TX650W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77x-UD5H
CPU: i7-3770k
RAM: 32GB G.Skill 1600
HHD: 1 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1 X 3TB Seagate Barracuda XT (Total 6TB )
SSD: 120gb Kingston HyperX
Optical Drive: LG Blu-ray Writer
PSU: Corsair TX650 650W V2
Wi-Fi Card: TL-WDN4800
TV-Tuner: MSI Digi@nywhere A/D Plus

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg, Tigerdirect, Amazon (whatever you guys recommend)

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference! Best and most economical hopefully

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe (probably, just not at first) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1980 X 1200, going to max it a 3 monitor set up and it will be hooked up to a 144 inch projector (Full 1080P) Theater room in the winters and summer months.

Additional Comments:
As you can see I went overboard on the CPU and RAM for the machine, so a nice graphics card to complement those would be good. I've been stuck between the Radeon 7950, Radeon 7970, GTX 670 and GTX 680. I'd like to spend max $400. If any of you think its best to get two cheaper graphics cards and SLI or CF. Just a little help of what to get please! Also are Nvidia and AMD coming out with a newer generation of cards early next year and would those be worth waiting for? I could just use the Intel 4000 graphics till then if its worth the wait! Let me know!

Thanks everyone!

More about : graphics card choice

a c 291 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 6:12:02 PM

Go with HD 7970. It's the best card you can get for 3 monitor gaming.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2012 7:09:52 PM

And the 7970 will work fine with my 650W PSU?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 7:10:23 PM

Easily.
m
l
December 1, 2012 7:42:52 PM

the gigabyte is $40 more however, is it really worth it? and the sapphire has 2 x DVI's, 1 x HDMI, and 1x Display port compared to gigabytes 1x DVI, 1x HDMI, 2x mini display port. I find the 2 x DVIs more useful. So is the gigabyte still worth ever bit of the $40?
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 7:48:39 PM

You can go with that one, just pointed the gigabyte for better cooling/oc.
But yes for triple monitor single card you might want the sapphire and for it's price also a good one.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 8:09:40 PM

Sapphire one is great, and the fact that it suits your need for connectors is even better. Be warned though: you won't be able to use both DVI and HDMI simultaneouslty: for 3 monitor setup you'll need a Display port adapter either way. That is the case for all AMD cards.
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:09:53 PM

if i save the $40 and get a CPU/GPU water cooling system would that be best?
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:10:59 PM

Sunius said:
Sapphire one is great, and the fact that it suits your need for connectors is even better. Be warned though: you won't be able to use both DVI and HDMI simultaneouslty: for 3 monitor setup you'll need a Display port adapter either way. That is the case for all AMD cards.

wow, okay thanks thats great to know! Do you know why this is the case?
m
l
December 1, 2012 8:12:35 PM

Also is the 7970GHz Edition worth it?
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 8:13:39 PM

I wouldn't get watercooling. It's a hassle. A big one too. A decent CPU cooler would be better ;) . Like this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for why you need a display port adapter: that's how AMD technology works. HDMI port shares the output with one of DVI ports, so they can. output only same video.

The GHz edition is faster, for sure. It's worth it if you can afford it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 9:11:52 PM

Yes Ghz is a lot faster. Even than 680 stock.

I would definitly get the GHZ or 680. Those are the beasts.
m
l
!