Mind telling me if this is a good build?

dresyn

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Hello, buying an Ironsides computer.

Wanting to play everything at at least High, if not Ultra. Skyrim, Mods for games like that, BF3, Diablo, basically Anything that i feel like playing. i know this isnt a glorious build, but im on a budget, and my research suggests this will get me what I want. but id also like feedback!

Here's what I'm looking at:

Case - Cooler Master Elite 311 Blue (Mid Tower)
Custom Airbrush Logos & Emblems - None
Custom Airbrushed Gamertags - None
Additional Case Fans - None
Internal Lighting - None
AMD Processor - AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz (Quad Core)
CPU Cooling -
PC Liquid Coolant - None
Liquid Cooling Tubing Color - Clear / None
AMD Motherboard - ASUS M5A78L-M LX Plus [VGA] {2 DDR3 Slots}
Overclocking Processor - Stock Speed
Overclocking Graphics Card - Stock Speed
Memory - 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Memory Cooling - None
Primary Hard Drive - 1TB 7200 RPM
Hard Drive Cooling - None
Secondary Hard Drive - None
Secondary Hard Drive Cooling - None
1st Optical Drive - DVD Writer
2nd Optical Drive - None
Graphics Card - AMD Radeon 7770 1GB (Min. 600 Watt Power Supply)
Liquid Cool Graphics Card - None
[SLI / X-fire] Second Video Card - None
[SLI / X-fire] Liquid Cool Graphics card - None
Power Supply - Standard 600 Watt
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Networking - Standard Onboard Ethernet
Fan Controller - None

$702

DeusAres

Distinguished
If you would be so kind and fill out the following template, we may be able to better assist you.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/353572-31-build-upgrade-advice

I will tell you that you'd be better off to build your own rather than purchasing a prebuilt. There are PLENTY of tutorials out there that can guide you through the process. Here's one of my personal favorites...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4Js2A1qdB8

As for the prebuilt you listed above, it's OK. Not that great, but it's OK. You can get far more for your money if you build your own.

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
That build would play almost any game, but almost no games on high or ultra settings at 1080p. You have a midrange graphics card and a last generation CPU. Probably the minimum built to play most things on high/ultra is an i3-3220, FX-4300 or FX-6300, and at least a Radeon 7850 (where the graphics card is the most important part). Don't get a bulldozer 4100 or any X1XX AMD cpu.
If you were to build this yourself $700 is enough budget to get all that and then some, but I don't know about buying it from a system builder. That system is overpriced though.

dresyn

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Really don't know. Took your advice and started adding everything up, with a better CPU and the GPU you mentioned(although the reviews on Newegg have me weary), and I'm well over $700, but it's also like three times as powerful as the original configuration.

The problem is, I don't want to build it. I know I'll mess something up, and if I get this beast that runs everything on Ultra(which is what I'm shooting for. Honestly, I've got quality parts researched and it's only at $750 right now), I don't want ANYTHING to go wrong with it.

Might just have to look around locally for someone to build it for me.

dresyn

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I'm also thinking of ordering the configuration as is, but no GPU, no HDD and a better CPU.

They'll do the tough part, and I can just pick up a GPU and HDD on my own and install them.

Will cost me roughly the same, and I won't screw anything up lol

DeusAres

Distinguished

It truly isn't that difficult to build a computer. People think of it as being rocket science, when in reality it's a lot like Legos. Everything only goes in one way and is clearly labeled. :)

If you take your time and watch the video I posted above, you shouldn't have any trouble. This can potentially save you hundreds of dollars and will net you much better parts than what are included in a prebuilt.

dresyn

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I watched the video last night, and I just have a bad feeling about working with the processor. I don't like knowing I could potentially ruin it, or the mobo. The hearsink looks problematic, and making sure I have the right case with parts that will fit also sends the price up to at least $800, not taking into account a power supply, and coolant. I haven't added either of those into the price yet.

jacobsta811

Honorable
May 26, 2012
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock B75M-DGS Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($56.97 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7850 2GB Video Card ($169.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $643.87
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 17:02 EST-0500)

I'm not sure where you are looking. The build above is a pretty standard gaming build you see around here and will absolutely kill the one you have listed at the start, with a faster processor, 2x as fast graphics card, and a much better quality power supply and marginally better case. You won't need anything else to build your system but what I have listed above, although you might want to buy a few more 120mm fans for the case. The Heatsink/fan comes with the CPU (you only want an aftermarket on "K" series overclockable CPUs for intel, or for all AMD FX cpus because they are overclockable). SATA cables come with the motherboard. The CPU cooler comes with thermal paste pre-applied. And you have money left below $700.

Edit to add -here is an even more comprehensive how to on building from PC Part picker, http://pcpartpicker.com/blog/budget-gaming-build-core-i3-2120-radeon-hd-7750

TRENDING THREADS