Which graphics card to upgrade to on Striker 2 Extreme

skyfoot

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Hi,

I have the following system and want to upgrade my system to better handle modern games. Not sure if I will be able to play Far Cry 3 though and will fully upgrade to new rig next year but for now I want a nice cheap upgrade option.

Motherboard: Republic of Gamers Asus Striker 2 Extreme
RAM: Crucial 8GB
GPU: Asus Nvidia GTX8800 756MB
PSU: Antec 650w

I have read a few forum post on here and a few suggest the GTX400 series to upgrade to.

I have been looking on ebay and am not sure what the going price for the following cards is second hand as they seem quite expensive for 2 year old cards.
GTX460,
GTX470
GTX480

Would I be better off getting an ATI/AMD card and if so what would a good option be (equivalent to GTX400s).

I was planning on going with an SLI rig with another GTX8800 card but left it too late so they are rare and stupidly expensive. I assume one GTX460 would be better than two GTX8800s right?

I have always had an nvidia so know nothing about ATI/AMD cards.

Your help will be most welcome.

skyfoot

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I really don't know what budget I need to be looking at. I didn't want to spend over £50 but on ebay the GTX4xx cards are all over that.
I don't want to go too much over £100 I suppose but under that would be better.

I will be looking at getting a 1k+ in about a years time so don't want to spend too much.

skyfoot

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
After some more looking around and reading forum posts.

Would I not just be better off getting a GTX650 which I can get for less than £100.

I know its PCIe 3.0 but will still work in PCIe 2.0 right.

It's not a really good card. It's overpriced. A lot. This is how the performance looks like:

perfrel.gif

Your 8800 GTX is between GT 640 and GTS 450 in performance. GTX 460 is around performance of HD 6850.