WD HDD Problems

G

Anybody out there have problems with WD HDD's going bad? I was given a WD200 and the thing died after about 4 months. The replacement, from WD, was a referb of the same type. It lasted about 3 hours. Both HDD's started giving me a "clicking" noise as described on WD's website. Just would like to see if anybody else has had the same experience with WD HDD's as I have recently. I don't think that I will be spending any money on the purchase of WD HDD's in the future. The only $ I have spent thus far on this drive is $8 x2 for the shipping back to WD.
My guess on this is that it is a design and quality control issue.
Your thoughts?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
My thoughts would be that you get a Maxtor hard drive.

I have had Western Digital and after the first one kicked the bucket I said "Skrew this!". I would have to say that you could have referb problems with any manufacture, but it's all about the policy of replacements and the quality of the product.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
well, i was trying to fix a computer for someone, and it had two wd hard drives in it...some old caviars. those things gave me such a headache...they werent making clicking noises, but they were giving me all these read errors...
and i didnt want to deal with them anymore...i probably oculd have flashed in a new firmware...but eh...i already had a headache from the drives...
but i have had hard drives clicking...and they were western digital...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I used to think IBM made awesome drives too, until my 75gxp went out.

Since I've got a 40gig WD drive now, I'm starting to sweat it. You've probably jinxxed me now, just by posting this thread.

I can't figure out who to beat. I have the urge to beat *SOMEONE* (with a large hardwood stick; not at poker or racing). Do I beat the marketing guys? Or the EE geeks who designed it? How about the Human Resources manager? Or the CEO? Maybe the stock holders for supporting all of them? Or should I just figure 'prophylactic', and go postal/Unreal Tourney style, beating 'anything that moves'?

A real dilemma!

OldBear

Splendid
Sep 14, 2001
I wouldn't worry about your WD 40gig. I have had a WD 40gig 400bb for over a year now and it works great. I also have
a WD 80gig 800bb on its 5th month. I have used WD hard drives for a few years with no problems. They used
to have problems but don't seem to lately. Have you noticed all brands go through a bad period? Maybe they
learn from it. For your info according to the storage review site that test drives (they have their site up for sale)
have 2 WD 40gig 400bb on their server. I suspect some people who have hd failure have other problems causing it.
I have seen posts where they have several replacements go bad right after they install them. If I were them
I would look to power supply or surge protection problems.

<A HREF="http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/raid/index.html" target="_new">http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl/http://www.storagereview.com/guide2000/ref/hdd/perf/raid/index.html</A>

<font color=blue>Remember.... You get what you pay for. :smile: All advice here is free.</font color=blue> :wink:

G

I agree with you 100%

I own several Maxtor drives and have never had any problems with any of them.

G

I have 2 WD drive, 18GB and 4 GB. I have been using the 18GB in my server for 2 years, no problem so far. But the 4 GB, I found it from my drawer last year, I forgot when did I buy it, maybe is my brother, it is still in a sealed bag, so I put it in my workstation as a secondary drive to use it as Raid 0 (W2k) with my 15 GB Quantum. Guess what, it only last for 4 months, and start having those clicking noise. Lucky I notice that early, so I convert back to normal drive. After I restart the computer, it can't detect the WD drive anymore. I didn't claim warranty for the drive, since the shipping will cost me more than the value of a 4 Gb drive

TRENDING THREADS