Problems with an Acer 40X and Win2k

r2k

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2001
My Acer 640P 40X MAX CD-ROM drive is not working right these days. It wasn't a great one from the begining but it did its job. In recent days however it's acting very strange:

1.I hit the eject button and the tray closes very quickly right after opening and this happens 2 or 3 times till it remains open for inserting CDs... Imagine my frustration!

2.It spins up and down several times on brand new properly written or even original CDs or old ones it had no problem with. Sometimes during playing MP3s from a CD it suddenly gets confused and has to spin down and up (sometimes 2 or 3 times) to resume playing. I cleaned the optical lense with a lense cleaner to no avail. I KNOW MY CDs ARE HEALTHY because I double-checked them in another Acer drive of my friend's.

3.(This may have something to do with the others) A couple of days ago, out of pure curiosity I checked the device manager in Windows 2000 and found that my CD-ROM drive has become a 'PIO mode' device while the BIOS still reports the thing as 'UDMA Mode 2' (UltraATA/33) ???!! I had set this MYSELF to 'DMA if available' AND CHECKED THAT IT WAS INDEED WORKING in DMA mode! How come it changed so abruptly?!

I have a Quantum HDD as Primary Master and the Acer as the Primary Slave and no other IDE devices whatsoever on a healthy MSI BX mainboard. Acer's firmware is the latest available. No overclocking.

Anyone has any ideas?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i have an old creative 12x cdrom, infra1800 or something...it does that rapid closing thing...cant figure it out...
what i do is just grap the tray, and hold it open...but that sucker is one of the strongest trays ever made...sometimes it slips out of my grip, and trys to close with a cd half in the drive...

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-