Sign in with
Your question

Is 75ft to long for a wired router connection?

Last response: in Networking
January 6, 2012 8:45:30 PM

I have a "Range-plus Wireless Router" (WRT110-Linksys). The problem is that I am trying to make a wired connection(Ethernet), from my bedroom which is 75-80ft away from the main living room where I am connecting the Ethernet cord to my TV to use the apps built in to the TV. The problem is when I make the hardwired Ethernet connection from bedroom to living room I keep getting a time-out error from dhcp trying to obtain an IP-address. Is it possible that my cheap Linksys Router doesnt have enough juice to push the wired connection on 75-80ft of Ethernet cable? Do I need a more powerful router? Any help here would be nice?

Ronnie d
rsg003@yahoo.com
January 6, 2012 9:54:34 PM

The Ethernet standard is 100 meter maximum cable length, so any compliant router should not have any issues with 80 feet.

Do you see the TV in the router dhcp address table when it is attached? Is the TV set up to be within the range of addresses assignable by your dhcp server? Perhaps the TV instructions give guidance on the range of IP address/subnet assignment needed.

Which TV brand and model?
m
l
January 6, 2012 10:54:07 PM

RealBeast said:
The Ethernet standard is 100 meter maximum cable length, so any compliant router should not have any issues with 80 feet.

Do you see the TV in the router dhcp address table when it is attached? Is the TV set up to be within the range of addresses assignable by your dhcp server? Perhaps the TV instructions give guidance on the range of IP address/subnet assignment needed.

Which TV brand and model?

It is a 1yr old Plasma 720p Toshiba..it doesnt actually have a wired connection. I connect to the Bluray dvdplayer which does and then the player is connected to the TV...dhcp keeps timing out. I tested the Ethernet cable also by bringing my PlayStation 3 into the living room and connecting it to the wired connection from the router in my bedroom and it also kept telling me dhcp timed out...but if i bring the PlayStation 3 back into my bed room and reconnect the wired Ethernet cord back to the same router(albeit with a 4ft cord) it connects and works fine??? Also tested the cord from router to living room on dads Vista Laptop and it connects locally but cant get it to connect to unidentified network to internet??? what gives?? So I know the Ethernet cord works as the Vista laptop connects to it and is sending and receiving packets but wont let the internet part in? So I was just trying to get some info before I went and wasted money on a $150.00 wired/wireless router from newegg.com and it still doesnt work. LG BluRay Player model #LHB335 and it has a LAN port in it. I cant seem to get the Toshiba Vista laptop to connect thru wired connection to access internet as it only lets me access locally. I just dont understand how I can connect with my PlayStation 3 hard wired to the same router in my bedroom, but I cant connect to the same router hard wired in the living room???
m
l
Related resources
January 7, 2012 4:01:32 PM

So if I understand correctly, everything works well, except when connected on the 80 foot cat 5 cable. And the Vista laptop will connect locally using that 80 foot cable.

One more question: If the Vista laptop is connected to the router with the 4 foot cable, does it have Internet access?
m
l
January 7, 2012 8:45:03 PM

RealBeast said:
So if I understand correctly, everything works well, except when connected on the 80 foot cat 5 cable. And the Vista laptop will connect locally using that 80 foot cable.

One more question: If the Vista laptop is connected to the router with the 4 foot cable, does it have Internet access?

It list me as a unidentified network and I only get Local access, but the internet part has a red X by it...but it is sending and receiving packets..its like maybe vista is blocking the internet part???? but allowing the local connection between router and computer with whatever cord or size cord I use, and the PS3 just continues to time out with dhcp error when using the 80ft cord....
m
l
January 7, 2012 9:08:35 PM

That sounds more like a network access/sharing issue than a hardware/cable issue since the problem exists for all cable lengths.

I would make sure that the router has the latest firmware, and then look at the router settings and see if the devices are showing up in the local network dhcp server devices.

Get out your router manual and log in and actually look at the dhcp router assignments for all of your attached devices to determine that they are connected. Post the list of devices, their ip addresses assigned and the range of available addresses. I think that is where the problem most likely exists.
m
l
January 7, 2012 9:35:53 PM

Thanks realbeast....sounds like that is likely the issue here. Thanks for your help.

Ronnie
m
l
!