ASUS 3D monitor trouble (120hz / HDMI)

reidbaker

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
I have a laptop with a GTX 660m with outputs for HDMI and VGA. I also have an ASUS VG278H 3D monitor.

I know the monitor works in 3d because it functions with my desktop (through DVI). But I can't tell where my hiccups are coming from in not being able to 1) Access my monitor's 120hz settings (I also have switchable Intel graphics in my laptop...), and 2) Access the Nvidia 3D Stereo settings.

I have tried setting the HDMI lower to no avail. The Intel settings which are what the monitor connects to doesn't seem to be able to enable 120hz. But not sure what the cause is exactly.

I can really use some help. THANKS!

HDMI 1.4a and below does not allow 120hz input. I do not believe HDMI 1.4b is even released yet on any monitor, so you cannot get 120hz with a HDMI connection. The closest thing to 120hz there is, is over HDMI 1.4a when in HD3D mode at 720p, which is technically 60hz per eye, but they send two images per cycle.

reidbaker

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012

So I guess the question I'm asking is - how do I get this laptop to connect to my 3D monitor. The laptop has 3D Vision capability so why would they not create the hooks into any applicable 3D display by only having an HDMI and VGA out?

Is there any adapters that can work? HDMI to Dual DVI? Anything? Thanks

It SHOULD WORK.

bystander,
I don't know why you say "you can't get 120Hz with any HDMI connection." Did you even bother to go to the monitor site?
http://ca.asus.com/en/Display/LCD_Monitors/VG278H/#specifications

It says:
"Display stereoscopic 3D via Blu-ray Disc players or game consoles through HDMI 1.4 output. The VG278H offers high compatibility with any media devices with HDMI 1.4, dual-link DVI-D, and D-sub."

*So what is the PROBLEM?
It sounds like you aren't setup correctly on the laptop side.

One guess is that you have OPTIMUS technology which uses the Intel Graphics unless your program is in the list of supported NVidia programs which cause the 660M GPU to take over.

**If a program isn't in the list for Optimus you can ADD it.

SUMMARY:
- It should work fine.
- Possibly the program isn't in the Optimus list so isn't enabling the NVidia GPU.
- Some other NVidia Control Panel is setup incorrectly?

What makes you think that means it can run at 120hz over HDMI? Movies run at 24hz. Movies in 3D run at 24hz per eye, or a total of 48hz.

HDMI 1.4a is limited to 60hz at 1080p, it CAN however, run HD3D using frame packing at 60hz per eye at a maximum of 720p, but still limited to 60hz without HD3D. Look up the HDMI 1.4a spec:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI

NOTE: I have a monitor with the same connections as the above monitor, also 3d Vision capable, runs Bluray 3D over HDMI, and I have attempted to use 3D Vision through HDMI 1.4a. Nvidia's normal 3D Vision is not compatible through HDMI, though it may work with the 3DTV play. It will, however run HD3D on AMD cards, which I have tested. It is either limited to 60hz in HD3D at 720p, or 24hz at 1080p (per eye). It will not run at 120hz with HDMI 1.4a, but it does with the dual link DVI-D cable. The link above will show you the same. It is possible to get it to work at 30hz at 1080 in HD3D, but the original spec did not allow it.

reidbaker

Honorable
Dec 1, 2012
Okay, so it seems that I can't do 3D Vision over an HDMI interface. It says BluRay players and Game Consoles, but that's not the same thing as an NVidia GPU PC.

Is there any adapter that can enable my laptop for the DualLink DVI? What about the EVGA UV Plus?

Did you try the link to the 3DTV play? It is designed to make 3D work through HDMI TV's. I would be interested if it would work or not. It may be worth a shot if you haven't tried.

twincitynights

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
3DTV Play does not work. I have this same conundrum. I also have an ASUS VG278H and a Lenovo Y580 with the GTX 660M. The problem is the Nvidia Optimus Technology. The way the two-soloution video system in the laptop is designed, all video outputs are physically connected to the Intel HD4000 GPU. The Nvidia chip only outputs into the Intel hardware, not directly to a monitor. While the Nvidia GPU is stated as being capable of 3D Vision, there is no way to output it with current hardware/software. From the Y580 device manager: http://imgur.com/6ZaBy
6ZaBy

If your laptop is the same setup as mine (intel HD4000) you can play blu-ray 3D into the ASUS with the intel chip. The only resolution I could get working for me was 1920x1080p @ 23hz - which worked fine for blu-ray.

Aug 6, 2013
1) Did you tell the monitor in monitor settings on the monitor panel input buttons to look for the HDMI input (Rather than VGA or DVI)? I have to press a monitor button to use physically select the input source.

2) I have an NVidia 3D monitor and I can get great 3D via HDMI 1.4 via my PS3.

3) Did you tell your laptop NVidia driver panel to output in 3D to your 2nd monitor (secondary click your desktop and go to NVidia Settings)?

Otis Spunkmeyer

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

Yes, you're laptop is 3D capable, on it's own screen, that's why you have a laptop, to use its screen. It's not their top priority to include a 3D capable out slot if you're supposed to be using the laptop screen in the first place. If you want to use a 3D capable monitor then you need to buy a desktop and buy a 3D capable graphics card. Get it.... desktops are supposed to be used to with monitors and your laptop display is supposed to stay to its display. Yes, many laptops and people use external display for their laptops, but that's just a little incentive that manufacturers include, they don't HAVE to make display out ports on laptops. That's what desktops are for, so stop being a spoiled kid and clicking 'add cart & checkout', and read the product descriptions and do your research. Because I know you simply added it to your cart and ran to mommy for her credit cart. And no, you need DVI or DisplayPort, HDMI won't work with the required refresh rate needed for 3D display, which is at least 120Hz. HDMI = 60Hz, DVI and DisplayPort can operate above that. A converter won't work because you still have an HDMI at the start of the connection.

Aug 6, 2013

I believe that anyone with a damaged laptop screen can have it changed/replaced.
QED
Its possible with technical expertise.
i.e.
It would appear that if you look on youtube you would find an video where you can adapt a laptop `video` connection inside the hardware/motherboard; and add on an output to divert the image away from your laptop screen to a 3D TV.

Although running such a layout might cause extra pressure/heat on the laptop graphics card.

That said, its easier for most people to buy a 3D player (and run whatever it is via USB [with or without emulation]).

That would be interesting; a USB device running Linux with a Video encoder inbuilt to auto-play video files; that works on a TV/etc USB input.

Problem = Solution.