New build giving me lot of headaches

Tags:
  • New Build
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
January 15, 2013 11:01:56 PM

Hi all, Im desperate, please pardon my bad english first of all.

I just spent most of my hard earned money on a new rig that is the follow.

GA Z77m d3h
i5 3450
Radeon 7970
Seagate 1 TB HD
Antec 520
Kingston 2x4gb

and for two days it didn't gave me a single worry, but now it just a stutter mess, on everything, be it dota 2, oblivion or even firefox!

The strange thing is, sometimes I turn on the computer and it runs 8-10 hours without a single stutter, sometimes I restart a lot and the stutters continue, I tried a lot of things, updating the bios, updating gpu drivers, disabling power settings, formating the HD...

It making me go nuts!

Please help.

Thanks in advance

More about : build giving lot headaches

January 16, 2013 1:51:24 AM

What's the stutter like?
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:56:17 AM

First, thanks for the answer.

The stutters are mini freezes like, 2 - 3 sec freezes, really annoying, sometimes it happens like every 30 secs , sometimes even 15 or 10, and like I said doesn't matter the application, be it crysis 2, dota 2, oblivion, firefox even chrome , ie or windows explorer or watching a internet stream, the sound never seems to freezes though, I will pay attention more but Im pretty sure sounds stays ok.
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:02:38 AM

Oh also sometimes it goes for an hour or even more with no stutter at all
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:10:02 AM

stuttering stanley? lol no seriously are you refering to the spinning ring? on the mouse pointer .. ? with out actually seeing it i think it would be hard to diagnose are you trying to say that it takes to long to load a program or something along those lines or dose it become unresponsive and or bluescreens?
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:12:34 AM

do you have anti virus protection?
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:13:23 AM

memory...or harddrive?
try loading those linux livecd, does it still stutter? if it stop, you may need to replace the harddrive.
To test the memory, try running memtest.
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:17:07 AM

Sounds to me probably like corrupt ram, and it's only hitting it occasionally.

Use MemTest several times, doing several passes at once, per the instructions - if it hits any sort of errors, especially if it does so quickly, then you have problems.
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:17:41 AM

goodguy713 said:
stuttering stanley? lol no seriously are you refering to the spinning ring? on the mouse pointer .. ? with out actually seeing it i think it would be hard to diagnose are you trying to say that it takes to long to load a program or something along those lines or dose it become unresponsive and or bluescreens?

I had antivirus, I tried AVG, McAfee e norton, they didn't find anything so I unistalled.

No, I don't mean that, I mean for example Im playing something walking around etc, and the screen freezes for a few seconds or half a second then become normal and freezes again and that repeats a lot , it doesnt flow, I hope I explained well enough.

The FPS drops very low and then recover, for example on Crysis 2 I get 57-60 all the time with all max setting than it freezes, drops to like 20 then recover and go back to normal until it freezes again and does a lot of mini freezes or stutters in succession. And that does happen as I said also when using browser which shouldn't on this pc I think
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:19:34 AM

I tried memtest once, will try once again and report back.

I don't know what is linux livecd, I will try to find more about it
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:28:22 AM

It may be a number of bad things...

Likely:
Bad RAM? Do a memory scan (Go to your start menu and type "mdsched") and reboot your computer.
Badly coded video drivers
Bad mouse? Or bad USB port?

If you think it's any of these, go ahead and RMA your current motherboard and get a new one.
Bad capacitor(s)
Bad motherboard components (southbridge, northbridge, etc.)

m
l
January 16, 2013 2:31:01 AM

He did some times go black screen and then come back really fast 2 secs or so and come with the message, display driver amd driver has stopped responding and recovered, but that happened so randomly and so rare (like 3 - 4 times in 5 days) that I didn't thought It was worth mentioning.

I remmembered that just because when I clicked that site and started reading It went black but didn't came back until I restarted, still sound was coming ok, music hasnt stopped on black screen.

Also it seems that the first hour or two it doesn't stutter, or if does it's less, but sometimes it goes for more without stuttering sometimes when I turn it on its stuttering already
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:45:41 AM

cyanghost109 said:
It may be a number of bad things...

Likely:
Bad RAM? Do a memory scan (Go to your start menu and type "mdsched") and reboot your computer.
Badly coded video drivers
Bad mouse? Or bad USB port?

If you think it's any of these, go ahead and RMA your current motherboard and get a new one.
Bad capacitor(s)
Bad motherboard components (southbridge, northbridge, etc.)

The strange thing is it runned very well without any problems the first two days.

The mouse and the usb port he's plugged it's the same.

I did the test with mdsched and it accused 0 problems will try with memtest in just about a sec.

The drivers I tried going up to the latest catalyst, unistalling with safe mode driver sweeper, then reverting back to the one that came with my sapphire 7970. Even after formating.

Im really clueless
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:46:31 AM

If you've been overclocking anything, back down on the clocks a bit. Make sure your GPU isn't getting too hot.
m
l
January 16, 2013 2:57:02 AM

thebigbug said:
If you've been overclocking anything, back down on the clocks a bit. Make sure your GPU isn't getting too hot.

Im not, I don't even know how to overclock, I checked the temperatures, everything was pretty in ok range, but before I updated the bios of the motherboard, the processor was hitting 80c on full load now its 56.

But my card says something about OC , http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168..., I didn't alter any configurations on OC like I said it's all stock
m
l
January 16, 2013 3:03:27 AM

it could be a bad hard drive put im thinking it a power supply that rippling out do to load on it. if the numbers for the power supply are right on new egg the 520 has a 42 amps on the 12v line. the 7970 under load is 312w add the wattage of the the cpu and your around 32-35 amps. then there are the hard drive and anything else that on the 12v line. i would see if a friend had a larger power supply to test with or if it under 30 days to return the ps and pick up a larger unit.
or take out the gpu and see if it runs web and other programs fine on the ipgpu.
m
l
!