Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Laptops
  • Connection
  • Motherboards
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 1, 2012 9:34:07 PM

I was wondering if there was any sort of expansion that allowed an external PCIe x16 slot to be added? Also, what connection would I need on my motherboard to be able to connect it? I know of several that are out for Laptops that connect on external slots specific to laptops, but what about doing that with a desktop?

I guess, in short, it would be asking if there was a way to get extra PCIe x16 slots on my motherboard, and if so, where to find them. Any help would be awesome, thanks.

More about : external pcie x16 expansions

a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 10:18:30 PM

I think what you're looking for is a new motherboard.

The laptops have an express card slot(I think) that was specifically designed to offer PCIe capabilities. The problem is where are you going to connect anything like this to your existing motherboard? If your motherboard manufacturer wanted to allow for another PCIe card, they would have included another PCIe slot.
m
l
December 1, 2012 10:35:42 PM

If PCie extenders existed do you really think companies like Asus would charge 500+ for boards with 4-5+ PCIe 3.0 slots.

You get what it came with, but if you want a new motherboard, the MSi MPOWER and EVGA FTW Z77 are good choices.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b D Laptop
a c 92 V Motherboard
December 1, 2012 10:42:31 PM

Buy a new board that has 2 16xPciE slots.
m
l
!