Sign in with
Your question

Want feedback on my first build!

Last response: in Systems
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 12:19:22 AM

This is going to be my first PC build ever! EXTREMELY psyched! :D 

Just want some general feedback on how to build it and if I can find cheaper parts with same specs...

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xP29

THANKS! :D  :kaola: 

More about : feedback build

January 16, 2013 12:21:56 AM

I would go with a 120gb ssd.
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 12:28:09 AM

e_X said:
I would go with a 120gb ssd.

everyone on this forum seems to think so lol...from what I have learned 64 is enough for my budget...but maybe I'd get a 120 as an upgrade :D 
Related resources
January 16, 2013 12:36:07 AM

That is a pretty decent build, except the SSD- 64gb is sort of a weird "pain in the ass" zone with SSDs where it is too big for caching but too small for OS + Applications without paying attention/managing the space a lot. Either get a 32gb and set it up as a cache drive, or get a 128gb.
As far as getting it cheaper, the biggest places to save are going to be on your case and power supply - you only need like a 550 watt supply if it is a good one, and cases that can fit all the stuff you have and do a decent job can go down as low as $30 (NZXT Source 210 Elite, when on sale). The key to getting the price lower is being patient and buying it one piece at a time. Sign up for Newegg's email deals and setup a price alert for each part you want on the slickdeals.net forum.
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 12:38:45 AM

jacobsta811 said:
That is a pretty decent build, except the SSD- 64gb is sort of a weird "pain in the ass" zone with SSDs where it is too big for caching but too small for OS + Applications without paying attention/managing the space a lot. Either get a 32gb and set it up as a cache drive, or get a 128gb.
As far as getting it cheaper, the biggest places to save are going to be on your case and power supply - you only need like a 550 watt supply if it is a good one, and cases that can fit all the stuff you have and do a decent job can go down as low as $30 (NZXT Source 210 Elite, when on sale). The key to getting the price lower is being patient and buying it one piece at a time. Sign up for Newegg's email deals and setup a price alert for each part you want on the slickdeals.net forum.

I won't have any apps on the SSD. Just Windows 7 Home Premium.
January 16, 2013 1:04:28 AM

Then you lose a lot of the benefit of the SSD - how often do you actually reboot your machine and do you spend the time sitting & waiting for it ? Honestly running it as caching SSD would probably be faster that just running windows & nothing else off the SSD since at least then the system would figure out what apps, etc you use most and put the data on the SSD. (How to set up caching: http://www.overclock.net/t/1227655/how-to-set-up-intel-...)
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 1:11:05 AM

jacobsta811 said:
Then you lose a lot of the benefit of the SSD - how often do you actually reboot your machine and do you spend the time sitting & waiting for it ? Honestly running it as caching SSD would probably be faster that just running windows & nothing else off the SSD since at least then the system would figure out what apps, etc you use most and put the data on the SSD. (How to set up caching: http://www.overclock.net/t/1227655/how-to-set-up-intel-...)

I honestly just don't have the money for an SSD. I am 16 and have a part time job...I just can't afford it...I think I will appreciate it more than not having one for my OS
Anonymous
January 16, 2013 9:12:50 AM

I found a 840 series 120 for only 20 more:D 
!