Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Video card red screen of death help!.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 10:36:31 PM

Hi, i have a "problem" with a videocard, first i bought an hd 7950 at frys, and it was working nice then i ran some benchmark tests and the results were HORRIBLE, so horrible that it got kicked by my 460 gtx same test same settings, so being afraid of having a defective card i went today to frys and returned, i decided to go back to nvidia and paid some more to get a EVGA gtx 670 2gb (regular edition), i came to my home installed, and it was fine, so i decided to check the temperature (via pc wizard 2012) and when the program its annalyzing the video component BAM i got a red screen of death, had to force shutt down the pc, turned it and used the pc wizard again... same thing red screen of death, so then i decided to play gw2, no problems so far with that, my drivers are up to date (i think), and the firmware of the card is up to date as well, so, what can be wrong? just want to know in case it can be worst so i can return it before the first 15 days passes, thx for any help you can provide me :D .
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2012 11:43:43 PM

A lot of people have had the red screen problem with the 670, some said that a BIOS update fixed some problems. To help better what is your full system specs?

Also try running a RAM test.

http://memtest.org/
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 12:34:25 AM

i think my video card bios is up to date, my specs:

xps 435t/9000
intel i7 920 2.6ghz
8gb ram
gtx670 evga
windows 7 64-bit
on the evga forums they told me there is nothing wrong with my card, the problem is the program, seems like the pcwizard dosnt get a long with it. hope they are right.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 157 U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 12:46:04 AM

Are you still running the stock power supply? If so that maybe the problem.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 12:47:49 AM

^^^^ +1 I was just about to type that. Power supply plays a huge factor in your computers performance.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 12:53:53 AM

no i upgraded it as well, i had a 475w stock one, now i use a tx650m corsair one.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 5:31:55 AM

Dnx said:
no i upgraded it as well, i had a 475w stock one, now i use a tx650m corsair one.


Hmmm well its only when your running benchmarks right ? I would try to run that memtest. Problems with a RAM stick could cause the problem that your having.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 4:43:51 PM

abCasPeRR said:
Hmmm well its only when your running benchmarks right ? I would try to run that memtest. Problems with a RAM stick could cause the problem that your having.


no, it was when the pcwizard 2012 was trying to retrieve the video card info at the start, i alredy overclocked the card with the evga precision tool a soft oc +94mhz on gpu clock and +189mhz on memoy, ran heaven 3.0 and furmark with no problems. so maybe its the pc wizards fault or something.
m
0
l
a c 564 U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 5:15:02 PM

Dnx said:
no, it was when the pcwizard 2012 was trying to retrieve the video card info at the start, i alredy overclocked the card with the evga precision tool a soft oc +94mhz on gpu clock and +189mhz on memoy, ran heaven 3.0 and furmark with no problems. so maybe its the pc wizards fault or something.

Does the problem happen even when the graphics card is running with its factory clocks?

Some of CPUID's software is bug-ridden. You can report the problem to them.

Have you also checked the Windows Event viewer to see if there is any indication of what caused the red screen?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 5:24:27 PM

ko888 said:
Does the problem happen even when the graphics card is running with its factory clocks?

Some of CPUID's software is bug-ridden. You can report the problem to them.

Have you also checked the Windows Event viewer to see if there is any indication of what caused the red screen?


actually it happened before the overclock, after it i havent tried it yet, i unistalled pcwizard 2012 to aboid any conflict due to the oc.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 5:31:57 PM

Dnx said:
actually it happened before the overclock, after it i havent tried it yet, i unistalled pcwizard 2012 to aboid any conflict due to the oc.


That's what I'm thinking it is, unless it starts doing it in games or just randomly then you should be ok.
m
0
l
!