Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2013 1:20:52 AM

So i recently built a computer with these specs

Intel i7 3.4 GHz
Geforce 8800 gt
150 GB Sata II? HD
Biostar H61MLV MoBo
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

And I have been having some odd problems trying to run higher spec games such as Planetside 2.
More often than not they are generally unstable crashing after a few minutes, and typically after they crash the whole system seems to go on the fritz, being unable to properly access most files without believing they are corrupted, but after a restart it goes back to working normally, sometimes instead of just getting a CTD though I'll get a blue screen typically related to a memory problem, such as PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA, BAD_POOL_HEADER, and other similar memory related errors i cannot remember at this time. Smaller tasks such as web browsing or older games run fine though, unless I try to download something while playing something, which almost always results in a blue screen.

I've tried updating the drivers for everything, and updating the bios, I've run diagnostics on the processor which came back good, it is worth noting I'm not sure which version of SATA that my hard drive is using, but the MOBO should support at least two and I know the HD isn't SATA 3, so... yea. Also i can be reasonably sure that the HD is not defective as I was just using it in my prior computer. I did reformat before installing the new OS on the new computer, so any help would be appreciated, as I seem to be at the end of my rope with this.

More about : memory problems build

a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 1:25:58 AM

Probably not related but you have a VERY weak GPU. It won't really run modern games.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 1:31:32 AM

Did you check if it's really the ram ?
Try running memtest86+ to check if it is the ram, also worth knowing the ram in question, the psu you have, the temperatures you're getting with the cpu and gpu.
Also if you want to check the hdd, try running hirens boot in dos.
Also worth mentioning biostar mobos are usually crap.
Related resources
January 16, 2013 1:49:51 AM

getting memtest ready to run now, its a 520 Watt PSU, I forget the continuous rate, but it should be more than enough for the system, I tried looking earlier, but I guess there isn't really a way to check the integrity of the motherboard?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 2:04:00 AM

If it's a decent 520w psu, yes.
As for the mobo, the only way to find out is to use another one, also it could be some incompatibility of the ram+mobo, what's the ram and at what voltage is at ?
January 16, 2013 2:35:57 AM

its 4GB (1 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600MHz (PC3 12800) Dual Channel, dont know the brand it came as a package with the mobo/cpu, running at 1.5 volt, was having a little trouble getting memtest to boot from a flash drive guess ill just boot from a disk
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 3:02:47 AM

You're running with just a stick of 4GB ?
You're getting less performance, than if you had 2x2GB(dual channel), but it doesn't mean it's because of running at single channel it's giving those bsods, just the impact in some way in the performance.
It's 1.5v, it's good, do some testings, and then reply.
January 16, 2013 3:10:41 AM

Well memtest hasnt finished yet but it has over 400K errors so far I'm gonna guess that means its some bad ram

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 3:17:46 AM

Yep, rma the ram or buy new one.
See here for ram with that mobo : http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/introduction.php?S_...

There's also others that would work, that's not listed there, brand like corsair,crucial,g.skill,kingston,mushkin,patriot, always works, if it's 1.5v.
Recommend going with if possible with 2x4GB dual channel kit or 2x2GB.
January 16, 2013 3:27:29 AM

Well thanks a ton for the help, one question though, I guess the only way to know if it's just the mobo slot failing is to put new ram in then?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 3:36:05 AM

You have two slots, try using in another one, but those problems occur with ram not being supported or it's bad, some mobos are picky with the ram, or the ram is faulty.
Or not running at the rated speeds, voltage, did you check in the bios?
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 3:45:43 AM

if the mb bios is up to date. then run cpu-z look at the speed the mb set the ram there two speed settings there overall speed of the ram and the ram timing. (ie 9-9-9-9-24). look under the spd tab and see what the ram rated speed and timing are. most low end mb have ram speed set to auto and it sometime does not set the ram up right. i would if the ram is 1600 speed set it to that speed and check the ram timing to see if it matches in the spd info. some mb have what called intel xmp mode. if your mb has it try turning it on. I would also turn your pc off and drain the power from it and make sure the ram dimm is locked in. a lot of mb like asus have tight dimm clips.
January 16, 2013 3:48:51 AM

Yea that's where I checked the ram voltage
January 16, 2013 4:02:00 AM

in cpu-z it lists the ram as 800Mhz, dont know if thats normal, and it lists for JEDC timings
for 609, 685, 761, and 838 mhz respectively, which honestly dosen't mean much to me, and anyways I'm gonna get some sleep and try to tackle this in the morning, much help for all the thanks so far though.
January 23, 2013 2:30:25 AM

Best answer selected by plokun.
!