Olympus low pricing; Never again?

Last response: in Digital Camera
July 30, 2005 3:19:22 AM

Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
(better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get
something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
strong.

More about : olympus low pricing

Anonymous
July 30, 2005 10:25:28 AM

> Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
> Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
> might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
> body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
> as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
> Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
> the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
> and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
> The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
> not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
> replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
> moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
> (better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get
> something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
> strong.

Comparing the E-1 to the current crop of entry level cameras isn't really
fair. It was introduced as a pro level camera, but at mid level pricing, a
strategy that could have been devastating to the market, had the camera not
had a small sensor with fewer pixels than even the entry level cameras from
all the other manufacturers. Its construction is on a par with the 20D, for
instance, but with weather sealing that comes close to the 1D. But it was
only 5mp. Had it been introduced with the sensor that the Evolt/E-300 has,
it might have made some serious inroads, especially if the lenses currently
in the lineup were there upon its introduction.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

> Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
> Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
> might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
> body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
> as well. It's possible this will never happen again.

Yeah right, of course they will drop again.

> Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
> the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs

By who's reckoning? Did you review them?

> and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
> The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
> not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
> replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
> moment.

If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
"other" cameras in the range.

I'm pretty certain something radically different
> (better?)

Better? go figure???

is coming from them, but the urge to get
> something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
> strong.

One day Rich I am sure you will stop trolling and actually buy one and take
some photos. We live for the day.
July 30, 2005 11:09:41 AM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:09:40 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
>> Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
>> might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
>> body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
>> as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
>
>Yeah right, of course they will drop again.
>
>> Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
>> the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
>
>By who's reckoning? Did you review them?

Well, the E-300 isn't all plastic, like some other cameras at the
entry level and the E-1 is in a class above the Canon 20D in terms of
build quality. Aside from the top end Canon and Nikons, there is
nothing comparable to it as far as build quality goes.

>> and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
>> The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
>> not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
>> replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
>> moment.
>
>If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
>"other" cameras in the range.

One is to replace the E-1 which is high end.

>I'm pretty certain something radically different
>> (better?)
>
>Better? go figure???

> is coming from them, but the urge to get
>> something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
>> strong.
>
>One day Rich I am sure you will stop trolling and actually buy one and take
>some photos. We live for the day.

The only people who think "troll" are those unintelligent enough and
rabid enough to be baited by something completely harmless.
Besides, I have taken photos with them. I just haven't bought one
of them yet.
The DSLR people could take a hint from the prosumer users and try
taking some pictures for a change though. You look at the forums on
dpreview and most of the posts for the DSLR groups are endless
discussions of which lens to buy next and how it's taking more and
more money from them whereas the prosumers posts tend to include FAR
more actual pictures taken.
-Rich
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 11:09:41 AM

> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
>> Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
>> might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
>> body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
>> as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
>
> Yeah right, of course they will drop again.
>
>> Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
>> the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
>
> By who's reckoning? Did you review them?
>
>> and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
>> The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
>> not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
>> replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
>> moment.
>
> If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
> "other" cameras in the range.

When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 3:16:04 PM

RichA wrote:

> moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
> (better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get
> something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
> strong.

What lenses / flash system do you currently own? Where do you want to
leverage your investment? Where do you want to lock yourself in?

Cheers,
Alan.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 4:19:58 PM

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:09:40 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:
>

>>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>> Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
>>> Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
>>> might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
>>> body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
>>> as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
>>
>>Yeah right, of course they will drop again.
>>
>>> Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
>>> the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
>>
>>By who's reckoning? Did you review them?
>
> Well, the E-300 isn't all plastic, like some other cameras at the
> entry level and the E-1 is in a class above the Canon 20D in terms of
> build quality. Aside from the top end Canon and Nikons, there is
> nothing comparable to it as far as build quality goes.
>>
>>> and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
>>> The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
>>> not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
>>> replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
>>> moment.
>>
>>If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
>>"other" cameras in the range.
>
> One is to replace the E-1 which is high end.
>>
>>I'm pretty certain something radically different
>>> (better?)
>>
>>Better? go figure???
>

>> is coming from them, but the urge to get
>>> something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
>>> strong.
>>
>>One day Rich I am sure you will stop trolling and actually buy one and
>>take
>>some photos. We live for the day.
>>

> The only people who think "troll" are those unintelligent enough and
> rabid enough to be baited by something completely harmless.
> Besides, I have taken photos with them. I just haven't bought one
> of them yet.
> The DSLR people could take a hint from the prosumer users and try
> taking some pictures for a change though. You look at the forums on
> dpreview and most of the posts for the DSLR groups are endless
> discussions of which lens to buy next and how it's taking more and
> more money from them whereas the prosumers posts tend to include FAR
> more actual pictures taken.
> -Rich

You need to get on some different forums then like I do, join one that is
about photography not about mines bigger than yours.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:11:06 PM

RichA wrote:
> Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
> Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
> might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
> body and two zooms.

It's like GM, Ford, and Chrysler dropping prices to clear out their
massive 2005 inventory that no one wants to buy, while at the same time
Toyota announces a price increase.

The Olympus D-SLRs with the 4:3 standard should be avoided at all costs.
See "http://digitalslrinfo.com/" for more information.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:11:59 PM

Skip M wrote:

> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...

So was the Sigma SD9.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:12:00 PM

"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
> Skip M wrote:
>
>> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...
>
> So was the Sigma SD9.

Not really, I can't believe that, despite claims by both the mfr and Steve
G. that Sigma had any real expectation that the SD9 would work as a pro
camera, since the film body upon which it was based was never considered at
that level, not even by Sigma. On the other hand, Oly built the E-1 with
features that, had it had image collecting hardware to match, certainly
would have put it in the pro class, like the weather sealing.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 7:57:01 PM

Alan Browne wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>

>> moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
>> (better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get something now to
>> take advantage of the pricing today is
>> strong.
>

> What lenses / flash system do you currently own? Where do you want to
> leverage your investment? Where do you want to lock yourself in?

I think that for Olympus to survive in the D-SLR market, the next
generation is going to have to be radically different. This must mean
that they are abandoning 4:3 and moving to a larger, lower-noise,
sensor. I wonder what lens mount they will use.
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:34:20 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:19:58 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 07:09:40 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:
>>

>>>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>>Yeah right, of course they will drop again.

>>>By who's reckoning? Did you review them?
>>
>> Well, the E-300 isn't all plastic, like some other cameras at the
>> entry level and the E-1 is in a class above the Canon 20D in terms of
>> build quality. Aside from the top end Canon and Nikons, there is
>> nothing comparable to it as far as build quality goes.

>>>If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
>>>"other" cameras in the range.
>>
>> One is to replace the E-1 which is high end.
>>>
>>>I'm pretty certain something radically different
>>>
>>>Better? go figure???
>>

>>> is coming from them, but the urge to get
>>>
>>>One day Rich I am sure you will stop trolling and actually buy one and
>>>take
>>>some photos. We live for the day.
>>>

>> The only people who think "troll" are those unintelligent enough and
>> rabid enough to be baited by something completely harmless.
>> Besides, I have taken photos with them. I just haven't bought one
>> of them yet.
>> The DSLR people could take a hint from the prosumer users and try
>> taking some pictures for a change though. You look at the forums on
>> dpreview and most of the posts for the DSLR groups are endless
>> discussions of which lens to buy next and how it's taking more and
>> more money from them whereas the prosumers posts tend to include FAR
>> more actual pictures taken.
>> -Rich
>
>You need to get on some different forums then like I do, join one that is
>about photography not about mines bigger than yours.

I suppose if the structure of the groups was more about specific
topics than camera makes it would be possible.
-Rich
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:35:34 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:18:26 -0700, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
wrote:

>"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message
>> Skip M wrote:
>>
>>> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...
>>
>> So was the Sigma SD9.
>>
>Not really, I can't believe that, despite claims by both the mfr and Steve
>G. that Sigma had any real expectation that the SD9 would work as a pro
>camera, since the film body upon which it was based was never considered at
>that level, not even by Sigma. On the other hand, Oly built the E-1 with
>features that, had it had image collecting hardware to match, certainly
>would have put it in the pro class, like the weather sealing.

There are still magazines claiming the Fuji S-3 is a consumer camera
and it's nothing of the sort.
-Rich
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:37:33 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 11:16:04 -0400, Alan Browne
<alan.browne@FreeLunchVideotron.ca> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>

>> moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
>> (better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get
>> something now to take advantage of the pricing today is
>> strong.
>
>What lenses / flash system do you currently own? Where do you want to
>leverage your investment? Where do you want to lock yourself in?
>
>Cheers,
>Alan.

Zero. I sold all my SLR equipment because I assumed since the move
was to digital, it would be rendered useless/worthless. Even Olympus
didn't cooperate initially, only coming out with a OM lens adapter
after people complained there was none.
So, the field is open.
-Rich
Anonymous
July 30, 2005 8:38:28 PM

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:57:01 GMT, SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com>
wrote:

>Alan Browne wrote:
>> RichA wrote:
>>

>>> moment. I'm pretty certain something radically different
>>> (better?) is coming from them, but the urge to get something now to
>>> take advantage of the pricing today is
>>> strong.
>>

>> What lenses / flash system do you currently own? Where do you want to
>> leverage your investment? Where do you want to lock yourself in?
>
>I think that for Olympus to survive in the D-SLR market, the next
>generation is going to have to be radically different. This must mean
>that they are abandoning 4:3 and moving to a larger, lower-noise,
>sensor. I wonder what lens mount they will use.

They keep releasing new lenses which would seem (unless those lenses
will support a larger sensor) that they mean to stay with 4/3.
-Rich
July 30, 2005 10:21:13 PM

Pete D wrote:

> You need to get on some different forums then like I do, join one that is
> about photography not about mines bigger than yours.

And your below coment was meant as?

Yes there are pro's using these just like there are pro's using nikon and
canon. Just because they aren't using them on the sidelines of the football
field doesn't mean "pro's" don't use them.
------------

> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...

How many have you seen the pro's using?

-----------

Stacey
July 30, 2005 10:22:59 PM

Skip M wrote:

> but with weather sealing that comes close to the 1D.

How is the 1D MORE weather sealed than the E1? Just wondering why you think
YOUR brand MUST have better weather sealing..

--

Stacey
July 30, 2005 10:26:25 PM

SMS wrote:

> I think that for Olympus to survive in the D-SLR market, the next
> generation is going to have to be radically different. This must mean
> that they are abandoning 4:3 and moving to a larger, lower-noise,
> sensor.

Why? Because -YOUR- main criteria is low noise at high ISOs? You're right if
YOUR main concern is low noise at ISO 800 and up, the current olympus
offerings aren't a good choice. There is more to image quality than this to
me.

--

Stacey
Anonymous

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>> Apparently, there is another price drop scheduled for
>>> Aug 1st, according to one source. This means the E-300
>>> might (incredibly) be even less than it is now for the
>>> body and two zooms. Also, the E-1 is dropping in price
>>> as well. It's possible this will never happen again.
>>
>> Yeah right, of course they will drop again.
>>
>>> Both cameras (especially the E-1) are better built than
>>> the current crop of entry-level DSLRs from other mfgs
>>
>> By who's reckoning? Did you review them?
>>
>>> and the lenses are good quality for their pedigree.
>>> The two new cameras Olympus is releasing (apparently,
>>> not until at least Mar 06) are going to be "high end"
>>> replacements, one for the E-1 the other, unsure at the
>>> moment.
>>
>> If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
>> "other" cameras in the range.
>>

> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...

How many have you seen the pro's using?
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:14:13 AM

> Pete D wrote:
>

>> You need to get on some different forums then like I do, join one that is
>> about photography not about mines bigger than yours.
>
> And your below coment was meant as?
>
> Yes there are pro's using these just like there are pro's using nikon and
> canon. Just because they aren't using them on the sidelines of the
> football
> field doesn't mean "pro's" don't use them.

You are actually serious, aren't you??
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:14:51 AM

> Skip M wrote:
>
>> but with weather sealing that comes close to the 1D.
>
> How is the 1D MORE weather sealed than the E1? Just wondering why you
> think
> YOUR brand MUST have better weather sealing..

WHAT MAKES YOU THINK YOUR SPECIAL BRAND IS??????
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 3:15:48 AM

> Why? Because -YOUR- main criteria is low noise at high ISOs? You're right
> if
> YOUR main concern is low noise at ISO 800 and up, the current olympus
> offerings aren't a good choice. There is more to image quality than this
> me.

Great then you buy them.
July 31, 2005 3:17:06 AM

Pete D wrote:

> "Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Yes there are pro's using these just like there are pro's using nikon and
>> canon. Just because they aren't using them on the sidelines of the
>> football
>> field doesn't mean "pro's" don't use them.
>

> You are actually serious, aren't you??

Yawn...

Again I suppose you watch the guys on the sidelines at the football game and
decide "All pros use a Canon"...
--

Stacey
July 31, 2005 3:21:04 AM

Brian Baird wrote:

> In article <3l2cu3F10k0buU5@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
>> Skip M wrote:
>>
>> > but with weather sealing that comes close to the 1D.
>>
>> How is the 1D MORE weather sealed than the E1?

> Go look at the Canon 1 series environmental seals.

Seen the info, they look like they should work well. Are most/all of the pro
lenses sealed as well?

> They've been well
> known for being EXTREMELY WEATHERPROOF for years.

Again how is it -more- weather sealed than an E1?

Why couldn't he say "They have the same weather sealing features that a 1D
has" instead of implying that -or course- it's a notch below what canon
produces?

You guys are too much!

--

Stacey
Anonymous

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 22:03:33 GMT, "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote:

>"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yeah right, of course they will drop again.

>>> By who's reckoning? Did you review them?

>>> If they are high end the how are they replacments? They would just be
>>> "other" cameras in the range.
>>>

>> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...
>
>How many have you seen the pro's using?

How many pros were bribed away from Nikon by Canon freebees?
Were Nikon not "pro" cameras?
-Rich
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:26:44 AM

In message <3l2d4hF10k0buU6@individual.net>,
Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>There is more to image quality than this to
>me.

Show us some image quality possible on the E300 not possible on a Canon.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
July 31, 2005 6:26:45 AM

JPS@no.komm wrote:

> In message <3l2d4hF10k0buU6@individual.net>,
> Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>There is more to image quality than this to
>>me.
>
> Show us some image quality possible on the E300 not possible on a Canon.

Why bother? You'd just claim the same shot could be done better with a
canon.

The two cameras don't have the same color pallet and the E-300 IMHO does a
better job with highly saturated colors in regards to not "blowing" them
into a mass of color with no detail. I've also noticed after shooting with
both that the E300 doesn't blow highlights as easily as the canon does.
There are things the canon does better but it's not a "it's better in EVER
reguard" like you seem to believe. This is just my subjective opinion which
I'm sure I'm not entitled to have here?

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/orange14x....

http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/springweb2...
--

Stacey
Anonymous

> Pete D wrote:
>

>> "Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Yes there are pro's using these just like there are pro's using nikon
>>> and
>>> canon. Just because they aren't using them on the sidelines of the
>>> football
>>> field doesn't mean "pro's" don't use them.
>>

>> You are actually serious, aren't you??
>
> Yawn...
>
> Again I suppose you watch the guys on the sidelines at the football game
> and
> decide "All pros use a Canon"...

The dudes on the sidelines of football games are hardly pro's, mind you,
because you mentioned it, if they "were" using an Ei or E300 on the
sideline, what lenses would they be using. Bad example, do you actually have
one where they are being used?
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 7:51:21 AM

> On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 10:18:26 -0700, "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"SMS" <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote in message

>>> So was the Sigma SD9.
>>>
>>Not really, I can't believe that, despite claims by both the mfr and Steve
>>G. that Sigma had any real expectation that the SD9 would work as a pro
>>camera, since the film body upon which it was based was never considered
>>at
>>that level, not even by Sigma. On the other hand, Oly built the E-1 with
>>features that, had it had image collecting hardware to match, certainly
>>would have put it in the pro class, like the weather sealing.
>
> There are still magazines claiming the Fuji S-3 is a consumer camera
> and it's nothing of the sort.
> -Rich

LOL
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:33:21 AM

In article <WIUGe.67264$oJ.44655@news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
no@email.com says...
> I think Stacey is a news reporter in real life, never let the truth get in
> the way of a good story. LOL

Stacey is just off his/her rocker.

--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

In article <3l2ud1F10lo72U2@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
> > Go look at the Canon 1 series environmental seals.
>
> Seen the info, they look like they should work well. Are most/all of the pro
> lenses sealed as well?

Yes. The most popular "L" lenses are completely weatherproofed when used
with a 1 series.

> > They've been well
> > known for being EXTREMELY WEATHERPROOF for years.
>
> Again how is it -more- weather sealed than an E1?

Take a look.

> Why couldn't he say "They have the same weather sealing features that a 1D
> has" instead of implying that -or course- it's a notch below what canon
> produces?
>
> You guys are too much!

You're reading way too much into this.

The Canon 1 series has it's origins in film bodies. It's been around a
lot longer than the E-1 has. It's a proven system with a bunch of loyal
users. The E-1 is still the new kid on the block, and no matter HOW
good the environmental seals may be, they have to live up to 1 series
standards.

That takes time, and more than a 5 megapixel, high noise camera to do.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
Anonymous

In article <3l2v0dF10d2fpU1@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
> The two cameras don't have the same color pallet and the E-300 IMHO does a
> better job with highly saturated colors in regards to not "blowing" them
> into a mass of color with no detail. I've also noticed after shooting with
> both that the E300 doesn't blow highlights as easily as the canon does.

The Canon doesn't blow highlights really at all. It's JPEG algorithm
might be a little different than the E300's, but if you shoot RAW you've
got plenty of room in those highlights. 12 bit color depth is great.

Of course, blown highlights occur MOST in high ISO shots... which you
never do, remember?

As for the "colors", all you state is that the E300 handles them
differently by default. Two seconds in the Canon menu and you can dial
down saturation, contrast and sharpening to match the E300. Ditto with
the E300. That's why custom settings exist.
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
July 31, 2005 8:48:58 AM

Brian Baird wrote:

> In article <3l2v0dF10d2fpU1@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...
>> The two cameras don't have the same color pallet and the E-300 IMHO does
>> a better job with highly saturated colors in regards to not "blowing"
>> them into a mass of color with no detail. I've also noticed after
>> shooting with both that the E300 doesn't blow highlights as easily as the
>> canon does.
>
> The Canon doesn't blow highlights really at all. It's JPEG algorithm
> might be a little different than the E300's, but if you shoot RAW you've
> got plenty of room in those highlights. 12 bit color depth is great.

So you've used both to see the difference or lack of it?

> As for the "colors", all you state is that the E300 handles them
> differently by default.

Yep and their RAW converter does this differently as well.

> Two seconds in the Canon menu and you can dial
> down saturation, contrast and sharpening to match the E300.

Wow so they have a setting to change the color pallet of the camera to match
other ones? I have noticed I can use the PSCS RAW converter to get the E300
colors to look more "like a canon", it's the reason I use something
else! :-)

--

Stacey
Anonymous

RichA wrote:

> There are still magazines claiming the Fuji S-3 is a consumer camera
> and it's nothing of the sort.

The S3 Pro is more of a specialty camera (as is the Nikon D2/D2H). It
has low noise at high ISO settings, and a wide dynamic range, making it
popular as a popular portrait studio camera (despite the issues with
color accuracy because that can be corrected in post processing), but
that's the only use for which it excels.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:03:39 AM

Pete D wrote:

> How many have you seen the pro's using?

A lot of companies say stuff like "this is a professional grade
product," in the hope of justifying a higher price for it, or to at
least make buyers think that they are getting a better product than they
actually are.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:15:51 AM

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message

>> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...
>
> How many have you seen the pro's using?

Beside the point, the camera was still aimed at that market. Whether any
pros used one isn't germane.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:18:23 AM

> Skip M wrote:
>
>> but with weather sealing that comes close to the 1D.
>
> How is the 1D MORE weather sealed than the E1? Just wondering why you
> think
> YOUR brand MUST have better weather sealing..
>

> --
>
> Stacey

Stacey, I have seen few on this group who tempt me to a string of
obscenities more than you. The 1D is sealed against moisture and dust
better than the E-1, since the E-1 only concedes to being splash proof.
Can't you let anything go? Cripes, you are annoying.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 9:20:30 AM

> Brian Baird wrote:

>>> How is the 1D MORE weather sealed than the E1?
>

>> Go look at the Canon 1 series environmental seals.
>
> Seen the info, they look like they should work well. Are most/all of the
> pro
> lenses sealed as well?

Yes.

>> They've been well
>> known for being EXTREMELY WEATHERPROOF for years.
>
> Again how is it -more- weather sealed than an E1?
>
> Why couldn't he say "They have the same weather sealing features that a 1D
> has" instead of implying that -or course- it's a notch below what canon
> produces?
He said it the way he did, because that is the way it is. The Canon is
claimed to be "weatherproof," the Oly is claimed to be "splashproof."
There's a difference.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:52:09 PM

> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>> When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...
>>
>> How many have you seen the pro's using?
>>
> Beside the point, the camera was still aimed at that market. Whether any
> pros used one isn't germane.

That is true, I was feeding the trolls, sorry.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 4:53:05 PM

> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
> "Stacey" <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Brian Baird wrote:
>>
>>> In article <3l2cu3F10k0buU5@individual.net>, fotocord@yahoo.com says...

>>> Go look at the Canon 1 series environmental seals.
>>
>> Seen the info, they look like they should work well. Are most/all of the
>> pro
>> lenses sealed as well?
>
> Yes.
>

>>> They've been well
>>> known for being EXTREMELY WEATHERPROOF for years.
>>
>> Again how is it -more- weather sealed than an E1?
>>
>> Why couldn't he say "They have the same weather sealing features that a
>> 1D
>> has" instead of implying that -or course- it's a notch below what canon
>> produces?
> He said it the way he did, because that is the way it is. The Canon is
> claimed to be "weatherproof," the Oly is claimed to be "splashproof."
> There's a difference.

Perhaps Stacey can send pictures proving his point.
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 5:06:18 PM

> Wow so they have a setting to change the color pallet of the camera to
> match
> other ones? I have noticed I can use the PSCS RAW converter to get the
> E300
> colors to look more "like a canon", it's the reason I use something
> else! :-)

Wouldn't want someone to think you were using a Canon. LOL
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:12:44 PM

In message <3l2v0dF10d2fpU1@individual.net>,
Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>JPS@no.komm wrote:
>
>> In message <3l2d4hF10k0buU6@individual.net>,
>> Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>>There is more to image quality than this to
>>>me.
>>
>> Show us some image quality possible on the E300 not possible on a Canon.
>
>Why bother? You'd just claim the same shot could be done better with a
>canon.
>
>The two cameras don't have the same color pallet and the E-300 IMHO does a
>better job with highly saturated colors in regards to not "blowing" them
>into a mass of color with no detail. I've also noticed after shooting with
>both that the E300 doesn't blow highlights as easily as the canon does.
>There are things the canon does better but it's not a "it's better in EVER
>reguard" like you seem to believe. This is just my subjective opinion which
>I'm sure I'm not entitled to have here?
>
>http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/orange14x....
>
>http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-1/937049/springweb2...

Most cameras will not blow highlights on saturated colors if you
compensate accordingly, and as I have said before, the clipping of reds
is often present in the output file from a RAW converter or in a JPEG,
but not in the RAW data. If, upon initial import into ACR, for example,
a red flower has flat areas, what you need to do is reduce the exposure
compensation, and then put a curve in the curve tool, to get the
midtones where they belong, while rolling off the highest highlights.
In RSE, you'd lower the "highlight contrast" slider to get a similar
effect, with exposure set for the midtones.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 6:17:35 PM

In message <MPG.1d5622428f2cb501989717@news.verizon.net>,
Brian Baird <no@no.thank.u> wrote:

>Of course, blown highlights occur MOST in high ISO shots...

The Canons that I have each digitize each of their ISO exactly the same,
relative to metering. The only difference is the nosie level, when
auto-exposing at different ISOs.

Maybe you mean that the type of lighting situations in which high ISOs
are often called for have uneven lighting? This is true indoors with
incandescent lights, if they are not well-diffused.
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 8:19:35 PM

Skip M wrote:
> "Pete D" <no@email.com> wrote in message
>
>>"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote in message
>

>>>When the E-1 was introduced, it was aimed at the pro market...
>>
>>How many have you seen the pro's using?
>>

> Beside the point, the camera was still aimed at that market. Whether any
> pros used one isn't germane.

Olympus may have said that it was aimed at the pro market, but I doubt
that any pro would purchase one. Just the unacceptably high noise and
the poor lens selection, would preclude any self-respecting pro from
considering it.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:38:02 AM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> wrote:
>Comparing the E-1 to the current crop of entry level cameras isn't really
>fair. It was introduced as a pro level camera, but at mid level pricing, a
>strategy that could have been devastating to the market, had the camera not
>had a small sensor with fewer pixels than even the entry level cameras from
>all the other manufacturers. Its construction is on a par with the 20D, for
>instance, but with weather sealing that comes close to the 1D. But it was
>only 5mp. Had it been introduced with the sensor that the Evolt/E-300 has,
>it might have made some serious inroads, especially if the lenses currently
>in the lineup were there upon its introduction.

Absolutely.

Unfortunately, it turned out that the 8MP Kodak sensor was not good
enough for the market the E-1 is aimed at. Olympus sensibly took the
decision not to release the E-2 with the 8 MP Kodak sensor and took
another route instead, while continuing to make the E-1.

The two Olympus DSLRs due Q4/2005 (prosumer) and Q1/2006 (pro) will
follow this new route, having been developed jointly with Panasonic.
In the meantime, the E-300 and E-1 will continue to be available, with
sales holding up well in Europe and Japan. Rumours persist of a
possible cheaper version of the E-300 to address the Nikon D50, Konica
Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 5D and Pentax *ist DL, but I think that could be
achieved merely by lower pricing for the E-300.

The key time for Olympus is Q1-Q2/2006, when the two new Olympus DSLRs
and one Panasonic will be available, together with the remainder of
the recently announced Zuiko Digital lenses. The market demands more
pixels, and lower noise than the E-300 at higher ISOs.

If Olympus and Panasonic can deliver on this, Four Thirds will survive
and maybe even prosper. If they cannot deliver, Four Thirds will have
been an interesting sideshow - and no more.

I will not be buying any more Zuiko Digital glass until I have had a
chance to review one or more of the new models.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:42:52 AM

SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>RichA wrote:
>
>> There are still magazines claiming the Fuji S-3 is a consumer camera
>> and it's nothing of the sort.
>
>The S3 Pro is more of a specialty camera (as is the Nikon D2/D2H). It
>has low noise at high ISO settings, and a wide dynamic range, making it
>popular as a popular portrait studio camera (despite the issues with
>color accuracy because that can be corrected in post processing), but
>that's the only use for which it excels.

Nonsense. There is another market in which it excels, and in which it
sells extremely well. The FujiFilm FinePix S3 is actively marketed to
that market almost to the exclusion of all others.

It is typical of your profound ignorance and bias that you don't even
know what that market is.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:48:28 AM

SMS <scharf.steven@geemail.com> wrote:

>Olympus may have said that it was aimed at the pro market, but I doubt
>that any pro would purchase one. Just the unacceptably high noise and
>the poor lens selection, would preclude any self-respecting pro from
>considering it.

You are so dumb - and so biased.

The E-1 has no noise problem and the selection of Zuiko Digital lenses
is outstanding.

However, the E-300 has unacceptable noise at anything above ISO 400.
The camera was never aimed at pros, however it has some appeal because
of its pixel count. At ISO 100 there is no discernible noise and the
many virtues of the Zuiko Digital lenses make it a very good buy.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 1:54:37 AM

JPS@no.komm wrote:

>In message <3l2d4hF10k0buU6@individual.net>,
>Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>>There is more to image quality than this to
>>me.
>
>Show us some image quality possible on the E300 not possible on a Canon.

The images shot with an E-300 and kit lens (standard zoom) are far
superior to those shot with a Canon Rebel XT and that dreadful apology
for a lens. Why? Because the Zuiko is a very good lens.

That holds for ISOs up to 400. Above that ISO rating, the Canon
produces better results through lower noise. I don't shoot at ISOs
above 400 so it doesn't affect me, but at ISO 800 there is a
significant difference.

However, the Canon still has the terrible handicap of a junk lens. At
least you can eliminate the noise from the E-300 merely by shooting at
lower ISOs. You cannot make the Canon kit lens into anything
acceptable except by replacing it, at significant additional cost.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:01:00 AM

Stacey <fotocord@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Wow so they have a setting to change the color pallet of the camera to match
>other ones? I have noticed I can use the PSCS RAW converter to get the E300
>colors to look more "like a canon", it's the reason I use something
>else! :-)

It is actually quite useful. If someone is shooting with a Canon DSLR
and one from Olympus, it is useful to be able to convert the output
from one so both cameras are producing consistent results.

For example, I rent a Canon EOS II Ds Mk II DSLR every couple of
months for one regular job, using a 28mm Super-Angulon PC shift lens.
If I was shooting on the same job with the E-1 or E-300, it would seem
like a good idea to make the colour rendition of the bodies the same.
So far I haven't had to do this, but it is a distinct possibility, and
one I should like to be prepared for.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 2:09:00 AM

Brian Baird <no@no.thank.u> wrote:

>You're reading way too much into this.
>
>The Canon 1 series has it's origins in film bodies. It's been around a
>lot longer than the E-1 has. It's a proven system with a bunch of loyal
>users. The E-1 is still the new kid on the block, and no matter HOW
>good the environmental seals may be, they have to live up to 1 series
>standards.
>
>That takes time, and more than a 5 megapixel, high noise camera to do.

You're reading way too much into this. <g>

The Olympus sealing is outstanding. It was tested against Nikon and
Canon during the development of the E-1 and performs at least as well.

It has never let me down; my E-1 and lenses have been drenched in salt
water spray and there has been absolutely no moisture ingress - as
revealed by the CLA I had done.

It might be useful to people reading your nonsense if you could
explain what a 5 megapixel sensor has to do with sealing against dust
and moisture (nothing whatsoever!) and why you criticise the E-1 for
high noise when it doesn't suffer from high noise.

The Olympus E-300 suffers from high noise at high ISOs, not the E-1.
Neither the E-300 nor the E-1 suffers from high noise at the ISOs that
most people use.

As always, those shilling for Canon seem to misrepresent other brands
simply to make them feel better about their own purchases.

;-)
!