Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Question about a Gaming Graphics Card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2012 2:00:26 AM

Ok so i am going to build a system in the beginning of february when i get back from deployment and i was wondering will there be anything out that is better than the Asus GTX 690 4gb card or should i just go ahead and have that as my set card, is there a way i can find out upcoming releases, it seems like i try and look on the manufacturers site and see nothing about new and upcoming stuff, or i miss it lol.

Thank you !
December 2, 2012 2:04:38 AM

Are you asking if you should buy a computer component now, or in 3 months? Every day there is some new technology. Come back in February and get yourself something. Worst case is you'll get the same card but save money on it. And when is saving money such a bad thing?
December 2, 2012 2:06:45 AM

No i will be purchasing the card in february, but i was just wondering if there was a way to know if a new card will be released around that time, so i can just get that, or expect to see a new one in like march and wait a month or so.
Related resources
a c 80 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 2, 2012 2:15:30 AM

Yes, the new lines of video cards will begin to roll out in early 2013.

That being said, a 790 or 8990 will NOT be the best idea, just like getting a 690 isn't good right now.

When they say that the card has 4GB of VRAM, it's a psudo-lie. Because those cards are SLI-on-one-board, each chip has 2GB... and because VRAM doesn't stack in SLI, it's the same as using two 2GB cards... not enough if you want three monitors. If you don't want three monitors, then you're wasting money, because a $400 card will max out the games just as well as the $1000 one, and if you DO want three monitors, two $450 cards will be faster and cheaper anyways.

What games at what settings and resolution are you looking to be playing?
December 2, 2012 2:21:25 AM

probably league of legends, i may play wow with my wifes little brother, and whatever other games i feel like playing i guess, i dont have any in mind right now
a c 80 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 2, 2012 2:37:48 AM

Well... god. Why do you want a 690?

A 660 for $250 will MAX out both LoL and WoW.
December 2, 2012 6:05:06 AM

for the future, i plan to just hold on to this pc for a while.

Best solution

a c 80 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
December 2, 2012 6:07:36 AM

You're way better off buying a mid-end card now, and saving your money.

By the time the 660 isn't good enough any more, a new $300 will be as powerful as the old 690. Look up future proofing and why it isn't a good idea in a PC - you get a LOT more value out of your money by upgrading graphics cards slightly more frequently than by going overkill.
December 2, 2012 6:14:00 AM

treven said:
Ok so i am going to build a system in the beginning of february when i get back from deployment and i was wondering will there be anything out that is better than the Asus GTX 690 4gb card or should i just go ahead and have that as my set card, is there a way i can find out upcoming releases, it seems like i try and look on the manufacturers site and see nothing about new and upcoming stuff, or i miss it lol.

Thank you !

As far as future tech goes. Look for ATI to release their next gen cards between now and feburary. They will overprice them just like they did the 7900 series until Nvidia releases their counterpart. At that time you can choose to pay a premium or you can invest in the 7900 series at even more of a discount from now. Nvidia is not set to release their next line until Q2-3 of next year. Sometime between March and July of next year we are expecting Intel to release their next chip series called the Haswell. The Haswell line is considered a "tock" in Intels development which usually yields the biggest gains between generations of processors.

If you are not planning on building a computer to Feb anyway you can wait and let AMD release their next graphics line. If its great you can get one and have the best card on the planet. If not you can get a few discounted HD 7000 series cards and still be set for a long, long time. After that its up to you if it is worth it waiting for Haswell.
December 2, 2012 6:23:25 AM

Ok, excellent. thank you all.
December 2, 2012 6:23:56 AM

Best answer selected by treven.
!