Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading my PC and I want to know if the parts will all fit together

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 16, 2013 6:43:14 AM

Hi there. I'm close to ordering parts to upgrade my PC, and here's what I have. I mostly just want to know if it will all fit, and if there's anything I should consider over something I already have on the list.
Very budget-based, obviously. I hope all these cheaper parts aren't a bad idea. I've tried to pick out the best, for the cheapest.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500k (I've looked all over and the 2500k still seems to be the best bang for your buck.)
Motherboard: Was going to go with one of these two: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
The first one is a good choice, apparently. The second one is tempting due to the extra PCIe ports, but I don't really care, honestly.
I don't intend to overclock the 2500k, but if I do decide to, will either of these motherboards work with that? It'd probably be better to get a full ATX mobo for overclocking, I guess, so it's fine for right now.

Memory: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... *Updated*

I already have this PSU: www.ascendtech.us/dell-dw002-xps-630-750w-power-supply_...

Will all this fit together? I know the CPU, mobo, and memory will obviously work together, and I'm pretty sure about the case, but the power supply is my main concern. I don't know anything about the measurements and can't find the dimensions on that PSU, and I don't want to spend even more on getting a new PSU since I already have a fairly good one, so I'd appreciate a little help from you guys.

In addition to that, if anyone has any better ideas for any of these parts for around the same prices, feel free to bring them to my attention.

Thanks!

More about : upgrading parts fit

January 16, 2013 6:49:09 AM

Don't get out if date parts, get a 3570K and a Z77 motherboard. It may be a bit more pricey, but it's definitely worth it. The PSU will be fine I'm almost positive, I've never heard of a PSU not fitting. Are you getting a graphics card? I found a good deal on RAM earlier today, I'll post the link tomorrow when I get on my computer. It's 4 AM, so I'll help you out with it tomorrow.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 10:55:20 PM

Well, the 3570k isn't a problem over the 2500k, but I was trying to stick to Sandy Bridge for now with that motherboard, (since some seem to have trouble using Ivy out of the box) but what do I know? I can go with the 3570, I guess.
As for that Z77, full ATX motherboards are very expensive and I don't think I can manage it currently. Is it really going to make a big difference if I don't intend to overclock anything?

Yeah, I have a graphics card already. (Radeon 6870) I plan on upgrading that later on in the year, though.
I don't intend to do crossfire/SLI, so again, extra PCIe slots aren't needed.

Good deals on RAM would be nice, but I think $40-$50 for 2x4GBs is good, unless there's a better deal somewhere!

I also edited my post to update the case. I realized a micro ATX case would be very bad, so I found a good Mid Tower case on Newegg with perfect reviews. I think it looks good, it's cheap, and that's all I'm looking for. I just hope all this keeps quiet as my current computer is extremely loud. I'll put more thought into management of all the components this time around, to see to that.
And thanks for the PSU info. I figure it should fit in any case since all PSUs are supposed to be pretty much the same size. Was just wanting to hear thoughts from someone else before I go buying things. ;) 

I'm not grabbing all these parts until the end of the month, though, so I have time to rethink some things, of course.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 3:15:22 PM

CaptainIcy said:
Well, the 3570k isn't a problem over the 2500k, but I was trying to stick to Sandy Bridge for now with that motherboard, (since some seem to have trouble using Ivy out of the box) but what do I know? I can go with the 3570, I guess.
As for that Z77, full ATX motherboards are very expensive and I don't think I can manage it currently. Is it really going to make a big difference if I don't intend to overclock anything?

Yeah, I have a graphics card already. (Radeon 6870) I plan on upgrading that later on in the year, though.
I don't intend to do crossfire/SLI, so again, extra PCIe slots aren't needed.

Good deals on RAM would be nice, but I think $40-$50 for 2x4GBs is good, unless there's a better deal somewhere!

I also edited my post to update the case. I realized a micro ATX case would be very bad, so I found a good Mid Tower case on Newegg with perfect reviews. I think it looks good, it's cheap, and that's all I'm looking for. I just hope all this keeps quiet as my current computer is extremely loud. I'll put more thought into management of all the components this time around, to see to that.
And thanks for the PSU info. I figure it should fit in any case since all PSUs are supposed to be pretty much the same size. Was just wanting to hear thoughts from someone else before I go buying things. ;) 

I'm not grabbing all these parts until the end of the month, though, so I have time to rethink some things, of course.


The only thing I've read about troubles with Ivy out of the box is having to manually change the clock speed from 1.6GHz to 3.4GHz. Which isn't the CPU's fault, nor is it even a problem. Other than that, I don't know of many big problems. They run a little hotter than Sandy, but I think that that's about it.

The motherboard isn't a HUGE deal, but I'd definitely recommend going with a newer motherboard. You'll benefit in more than just overclocking. It is a little pricey, but Newegg has deals a lot on some good motherboards. You can find a good Z77 board for less than a $100. If I were you, I'd really try to manage it. They had the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 on sale for $110 a while back, and it came with a set of 2X4 RAM. So the RAM basically makes up for the price difference. The ASRock Z77 Pro3 is on sale now for $80 after mail in rebate. Just look out for something like that.

The RAM that I was referring to wasn't any cheaper than that. You can't get G. Skill Value Series for around $40, I don't know anything about it but the reviews are good. I don't know how you feel about used parts, but I have some extra if you don't care about buying used stuff. I don't know what the forum rules are about selling things, so I'll PM you about that.

As for the case and PSU, it's always better to be safe rather than sorry. Questions are good; even if you think that they are stupid, ask them. And the loudest thing in my build is the CPU cooler, so make sure that it's quiet too haha.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 3:20:26 PM

whats ur full budget for the upgrade, and whats the list of parts u need?

m
0
l
January 17, 2013 10:09:07 PM

BloodyDream3 said:
The only thing I've read about troubles with Ivy out of the box is having to manually change the clock speed from 1.6GHz to 3.4GHz. Which isn't the CPU's fault, nor is it even a problem. Other than that, I don't know of many big problems. They run a little hotter than Sandy, but I think that that's about it.

The motherboard isn't a HUGE deal, but I'd definitely recommend going with a newer motherboard. You'll benefit in more than just overclocking. It is a little pricey, but Newegg has deals a lot on some good motherboards. You can find a good Z77 board for less than a $100. If I were you, I'd really try to manage it. They had the ASRock Z77 Extreme4 on sale for $110 a while back, and it came with a set of 2X4 RAM. So the RAM basically makes up for the price difference. The ASRock Z77 Pro3 is on sale now for $80 after mail in rebate. Just look out for something like that.

The RAM that I was referring to wasn't any cheaper than that. You can't get G. Skill Value Series for around $40, I don't know anything about it but the reviews are good. I don't know how you feel about used parts, but I have some extra if you don't care about buying used stuff. I don't know what the forum rules are about selling things, so I'll PM you about that.

As for the case and PSU, it's always better to be safe rather than sorry. Questions are good; even if you think that they are stupid, ask them. And the loudest thing in my build is the CPU cooler, so make sure that it's quiet too haha.


Okay. I had read some reviews on Newegg for the cheaper Micro ATX boards and some people said you had to do things with the BIOS to make it recognize an Ivy Bridge CPU. But anyway..

Alright. I'd seen some for around $100, and some even less, but didn't look into it too much. I'll try to spend a bit extra and get one, then.

I was actually thinking of buying the CPU used for around $170, instead of ~$220 for a new one. But that's really a hit or miss, so I'm told, so I haven't decided on that yet. I am getting a used HDD for Windows and general stuff, with my current one being used for storage once I upgrade. I've bought HDDs used on eBay before and they're usually fine.
If you want to PM me and tell me what you've got or whatever, feel free. I'm trying to save as much money as I can! ;) 

No kidding with that last part, either. I'm pretty sure now that the case and PSU will work together, and if I get a CPU cooler (I won't need one if I'm not overclocking...?) I'll make sure it's a good one.


@iceclock: I'm trying to keep it at $400 or less, and I need these parts:
CPU
Motherboard
Backup, small HDD (I already have one picked out)
Case (I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the one in my first post)
RAM (Trying to get 8GBs, preferably 2x4GB)

If I buy all that at new prices it'll come out to a little over $400. Trying to find the best deals and all, though, possibly buy the CPU used (if I decide that's a good idea) and save a bit more, because I really need to upgrade soon and $400 will be hard to do that soon.

For what it's worth, I'm upgrading from this:
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.8GHz (I know this is still a good CPU even nowadays, but it is aging more every day)
Terrible Dell XPS stock motherboard with no overclocking capabilities whatsoever
4GB DDR2 800MHz memory.

Fans run loud, parts run hot and I didn't care to take enough care of them before with cooling and all.. (I will now) Not to mention I'm running 32-bit Windows (I have 64-bit in line for the upgrade) so it doesn't even hardly use the entire 4GBs of RAM.
My main HDD is also very full, and I've already upgraded this a little bit with a new video card and even if it seems a little silly, I just really want to be done with this already.
And even if what I'm upgrading to isn't too huge of an upgrade, I'm still going to do it since I've been using this PC for almost two years now with a lot of hassle.

I can also easily upgrade this later if I need to with a better LGA 1155 CPU, more RAM (but 8GBs is plenty for me), new graphics card (I plan to do that later in the year anyway), and then of course there's overclocking and all too.

Also, sorry for the terribly long post, and thanks for all the help so far!
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 10:14:27 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8Fc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8Fc/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8Fc/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.90 @ Compuvest)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $336.43
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 19:14 EST-0500)

Base Total: $385.23
Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
Total: $375.23

u dont need anything else for now :) 

m
0
l
January 17, 2013 10:30:16 PM

I was thinking of the 3470 for a bit. Without overclocking it's supposed to be practically as good as the 2500 I think. As you said, all that is perfectly fine for now, so I think that looks good. Looking at that price makes me very happy, haha.
I may spring for a full ATX motherboard, though, if there is a good deal on one like BloodyDream was talking about, just so if I want to get a newer, unlocked CPU later, I can be ready for it.

Thanks for the help, although I'm still open to more suggestions. :) 
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 10:37:43 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8UX
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8UX/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y8UX/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($149.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 250GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.90 @ Compuvest)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $346.42
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 19:36 EST-0500)

Base Total: $399.23
Mail-in Rebates: -$20.00
Shipping: $5.99
Total: $385.22



m
0
l
January 18, 2013 12:50:35 PM

CaptainIcy said:
Okay. I had read some reviews on Newegg for the cheaper Micro ATX boards and some people said you had to do things with the BIOS to make it recognize an Ivy Bridge CPU. But anyway..

Alright. I'd seen some for around $100, and some even less, but didn't look into it too much. I'll try to spend a bit extra and get one, then.

I was actually thinking of buying the CPU used for around $170, instead of ~$220 for a new one. But that's really a hit or miss, so I'm told, so I haven't decided on that yet. I am getting a used HDD for Windows and general stuff, with my current one being used for storage once I upgrade. I've bought HDDs used on eBay before and they're usually fine.
If you want to PM me and tell me what you've got or whatever, feel free. I'm trying to save as much money as I can! ;) 

No kidding with that last part, either. I'm pretty sure now that the case and PSU will work together, and if I get a CPU cooler (I won't need one if I'm not overclocking...?) I'll make sure it's a good one.


@iceclock: I'm trying to keep it at $400 or less, and I need these parts:
CPU
Motherboard
Backup, small HDD (I already have one picked out)
Case (I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the one in my first post)
RAM (Trying to get 8GBs, preferably 2x4GB)

If I buy all that at new prices it'll come out to a little over $400. Trying to find the best deals and all, though, possibly buy the CPU used (if I decide that's a good idea) and save a bit more, because I really need to upgrade soon and $400 will be hard to do that soon.

For what it's worth, I'm upgrading from this:
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.8GHz (I know this is still a good CPU even nowadays, but it is aging more every day)
Terrible Dell XPS stock motherboard with no overclocking capabilities whatsoever
4GB DDR2 800MHz memory.

Fans run loud, parts run hot and I didn't care to take enough care of them before with cooling and all.. (I will now) Not to mention I'm running 32-bit Windows (I have 64-bit in line for the upgrade) so it doesn't even hardly use the entire 4GBs of RAM.
My main HDD is also very full, and I've already upgraded this a little bit with a new video card and even if it seems a little silly, I just really want to be done with this already.
And even if what I'm upgrading to isn't too huge of an upgrade, I'm still going to do it since I've been using this PC for almost two years now with a lot of hassle.

I can also easily upgrade this later if I need to with a better LGA 1155 CPU, more RAM (but 8GBs is plenty for me), new graphics card (I plan to do that later in the year anyway), and then of course there's overclocking and all too.

Also, sorry for the terribly long post, and thanks for all the help so far!


If you can find the 3470 for a good price ($180ish) then get it. I've heard some good things about it, it may not be the best but it's still really good. It's as good as the 2500 without OC. With the money that you save, get a better motherboard haha. You could even go with an i3, and upgrade later.

As for another HDD, what's the point if you already have one for storage? Just use it until you save up enough to get an SSD. Don't bother with an HDD, so that also gives you a little more to spend in other areas. (I.e. motherboard and CPU haha) I'll PM you as soon as I post this about the RAM.

Don't buy the CPU used, that's not a good idea at all. If I were you, I'd upgrade the parts steadily. I know what it's like trying to upgrade and not having the money to do it all at once. I had to use an old, old, old ass AMD-Based Dell PC for about 6 months before I could build a new computer. If you're planning to upgrade the CPU again, get an i3. They're cheap, that way you don't have to pay much now and again later. Clear up your HDD, seriously don't buy one until you can get a SSD haha.
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 10:35:29 PM

BloodyDream3 said:
If you can find the 3470 for a good price ($180ish) then get it. I've heard some good things about it, it may not be the best but it's still really good. It's as good as the 2500 without OC. With the money that you save, get a better motherboard haha. You could even go with an i3, and upgrade later.

As for another HDD, what's the point if you already have one for storage? Just use it until you save up enough to get an SSD. Don't bother with an HDD, so that also gives you a little more to spend in other areas. (I.e. motherboard and CPU haha) I'll PM you as soon as I post this about the RAM.

Don't buy the CPU used, that's not a good idea at all. If I were you, I'd upgrade the parts steadily. I know what it's like trying to upgrade and not having the money to do it all at once. I had to use an old, old, old ass AMD-Based Dell PC for about 6 months before I could build a new computer. If you're planning to upgrade the CPU again, get an i3. They're cheap, that way you don't have to pay much now and again later. Clear up your HDD, seriously don't buy one until you can get a SSD haha.


Yeah, I was looking at some comparisons and it looks as good (if not slightly better) than the 2500 without overclocking.
I can get one new for $180 or maybe even less, so I'll go with that.

Well my current storage one is pretty full, (one of the reasons this computer's performance has degraded over time) so I'm going to just get a 320GB HDD for $30 used. It'll work fine for what I want. I really can't see an SSD being helpful, but I don't know. I'll look into it maybe.
But I do need another, smaller one to make this upgrade work. $30 isn't bad so it's fine.

I will spend a bit more and get a good motherboard, as you've suggested.
The i3 is a good idea, but I think a 3470 will do well for a good while. My money, haha.
Here's what I see working right now:
$180 CPU
$90 max for motherboard (I will get a Z77 if I can, but an Extreme4 is quite a bit out of budget currently, but who knows, maybe I can work something out)
$40 max for RAM
$30 HDD
$40ish case

$380 total, and I'm certain I can get better deals for some of that, so that's perfect for me. I have some things in mind for later anyway so this upgrade is perfectly fine.

I'll mostly go with what iceclock posted last (aside from the HDD), although I may adjust it slightly. :) 

Thanks for all the advice, both of you. Even if I'm not getting things like SSDs yet, I'll still keep the suggestions in mind.
I think I've got everything almost sorted out now!
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 10:41:09 PM

sounds good dude.

m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:20:22 PM

CaptainIcy said:
Yeah, I was looking at some comparisons and it looks as good (if not slightly better) than the 2500 without overclocking.
I can get one new for $180 or maybe even less, so I'll go with that.

Well my current storage one is pretty full, (one of the reasons this computer's performance has degraded over time) so I'm going to just get a 320GB HDD for $30 used. It'll work fine for what I want. I really can't see an SSD being helpful, but I don't know. I'll look into it maybe.
But I do need another, smaller one to make this upgrade work. $30 isn't bad so it's fine.

I will spend a bit more and get a good motherboard, as you've suggested.
The i3 is a good idea, but I think a 3470 will do well for a good while. My money, haha.
Here's what I see working right now:
$180 CPU
$90 max for motherboard (I will get a Z77 if I can, but an Extreme4 is quite a bit out of budget currently, but who knows, maybe I can work something out)
$40 max for RAM
$30 HDD
$40ish case

$380 total, and I'm certain I can get better deals for some of that, so that's perfect for me. I have some things in mind for later anyway so this upgrade is perfectly fine.

I'll mostly go with what iceclock posted last (aside from the HDD), although I may adjust it slightly. :) 

Thanks for all the advice, both of you. Even if I'm not getting things like SSDs yet, I'll still keep the suggestions in mind.
I think I've got everything almost sorted out now!


Spend $100 on the motherboard, you can find a good deal on the Extreme4. Trust me, it's worth it. Other than that, that's perfect! :D 
m
0
l
January 18, 2013 11:48:48 PM

here if ur not overclocking get this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yk8x
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yk8x/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yk8x/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $365.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 20:48 EST-0500)

Base Total: $375.52
Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
Total: $365.52

m
0
l
January 19, 2013 4:30:14 AM

iceclock said:
here if ur not overclocking get this:

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yk8x
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yk8x/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/yk8x/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Scorpio Blue 320GB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $365.52
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-18 20:48 EST-0500)

Base Total: $375.52
Mail-in Rebates: -$10.00
Total: $365.52


Why get that Processor when you can find the 3470 for the same price?
m
0
l
January 19, 2013 4:38:06 AM

well the 3470 is only 100mhz more, u wont see a real world difference. tbh

and its 10$ more

m
0
l
!