Radeon 5770 Display port adapter

thamien

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
Ok so here's my problem. i cant seem to find a definitive answer from any of the posts ive looked through. (however if you know the post feel free to link it) Im running a radeon 5770 with 2 monitors both through dvi ports and 1 tv through hdmi. when i want to use my tv i simply turn off one monitor and turn the tv on which is not a huge hassle but im trying to get all three on at once. ive been reading different forums and ive found that i very obviously need a DP adapter to run all three at once. my question is does it have to be active. ive seen some forums that say all DP to DVI adapters are by nature powered and if i hook up 1 DVI 1 HDMI and 1 DP to DVI i should achieve what im looking for. If thats not right please let me know how to do this. im trying to not have to buy a $100 active adapter as im kinda strapped for cash and im also out of usb ports on my current computer whichs means i would have to buy a USB hub adding to the cost. if there is any combination of hookups that you can think of with a passive DP adapter please let me know.

thamien

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

Is it best to do DVI instead of HDMI for the DP adapter? or does it really matter?

thamien

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012

From what i can tell mine has no mini its just normal DP and yes thats exactly why i want to use my hdmi to the tv lol. so a DP to dvi should work just fine?

thamien

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
ok so this is what ive done...a friend of mine had a Startech DP2DVI2 adapter and ive plugged that in now its detecting the monitors just fine but the monitor i have connected is a VGA so i had to use a DVI to VGA adapter and its not displaying anything and the resolution is miniscule some where around 600x400 and it wont let me adjust it...is it just because ive got vga connectors or is it another problem entirely?