Hello:
My current rig is:
MB Gigabyte 78LMT-S2
Amd Phenom x4 965 Black Edition
Corsair DDR3 1333 4GB
SSD Patriot 64GB
HDD Western Digital 500GB 7200RPM
PSU ULTRA 730W

For the GPU I think I will buy a gtx650ti or a 7850 , I will be gaming on a 1366 x 768 monitor. Is my PSU enough to buy either the 7850 or the gtx650 TI? or should I upgrade my PSU and go for the 7850 that is a better card? or the gtx650TI would be enough for my resolution and I should just stick with my PSU and get the gx650 TI?

Solution

Power output means nothing when the PSU dies because it was low quality. Also, a cheap PSU is going to limit your overclocking, not help it. Overclocking isn't about cramming another hundred watts of power through your chip, it's about very small changes in voltage that require very low noise in the power to remain stable. Getting a big, cheap PSU is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

Get a quality unit that meets, but does not exceed, your needs. If you're never going to go with Crossfire or...

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
The PSU will only be good enough if it is a decent quality.

It seems to have a good rating across the 12v rail but all the information i can find on it says that Ultra uses bad OEM's.

Based on that i don't think i could recommend it, get a decent PSU from a good brand such as seasonic, xfx, antec etc

DryCreamer

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
the 650Ti should be great for 768 gaming, but I've seen the 7850 for around $150 with rebates, I would def spring for it at that price if you can get it ~$150-160. The problem would be that at such a low resolution, the game will be more CPU bottle necked, so you have to turn the details up higher to overcome that and force the GPU to do more work.

If you are running the game without VSYNC and you use a program like Afterburner to monitor temps and GPU usage, if you notice the GPU not being utilized more than 90% or so, that's more than likely a CPU bottleneck, so you should turn the details up or increase the resolution (bigger monitor).

I like the 650 Ti for $129 or less, which I have seen it, but anything closer to the $150 price, and you should def consider the Radeon.

The Ultra PSUs are ok, but I would still consider them a lower grade PSU. Even so, a single GPU should work fine on it. As long as it has 35 to 40 amps on the 12V rail, it should run one GPU fine. You can look on the sticker to see what it rates the +12V at...

You can find some REALLY good rebates on Corsair 600-650W CX series PSUs right now and they would be MORE than enough for a single graphics card, upto even the 670, 680, and 7900 series. Antec has also had some good rebates right now.

Most modern GPUs will run fine on a good quality 600W PSU, and the only time you need more than that is with massive overclocking or a SLi/crossfire setup.

Dry

emmanuelcamilo

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
12V rail is 45 Amps in the sticker of the PSU , I think I will go with the 7850 :), and my phenom x4 965 I think it wont be a bottleneck for the GPU but just in case I think I can overclock a little with the free multiplier.

mikerockett

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012

Yea i did find that it had a reasonalbe amperage on the +12v my gripe was mostly that everything i have read points to them using bad components, this means it's more likely prone to failure.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

Power output means nothing when the PSU dies because it was low quality. Also, a cheap PSU is going to limit your overclocking, not help it. Overclocking isn't about cramming another hundred watts of power through your chip, it's about very small changes in voltage that require very low noise in the power to remain stable. Getting a big, cheap PSU is exactly the opposite of what you want to do.

Get a quality unit that meets, but does not exceed, your needs. If you're never going to go with Crossfire or SLI, that's about 500-550W. Should cost you $40-$50 for a quality unit unless it's on sale. If you buy one of the countless $25 PSUs then you're going to regret it, I promise you.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS