bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Hello guys , so i just bought a new case (nzxt 410) to basically replace my z200 sff workstation one and
replace some parts like the GPU and PSU. The thing is that my motherboard is a BTX which is a pain if not
impossible to fit especially for a newbie like me. I think my best bet is buying a new ATX motherboard to
replace it. My processor is an Intel Xeon 3430 2,4GHz . Could you recommend me a motherboard that is
compatible to it but also has the potential to store a newer CPU when i get the money to upgrade it ?
My budget right now is around 150 $ and my pc is mainly used for gaming. Thanks in advance.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unfortunately, that's a Socket 1156 processor. Which is a dead platform. No newer processors will work with any ATX motherboard you could get for that processor. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend getting any motherboard for that processor. Keep saving money until you can get a new processor, motherboard and RAM.

-Wolf sends

Edit:

For $150, you might want to consider the following which will allow you to upgrade to a better processor later.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Pentium G640 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($65.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-DS2 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($51.97 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1333 Memory ($21.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $139.94
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 10:39 EST-0500)

The $139.94 total is after a $10 mail-in rebate.

bigplays

Honorable
Jan 11, 2013
Thanks you Wolfshadw for the fast reply , i really appreciate it. I really hoped i could get by with a cheaper
purchase i.e. get a motherboard but since that's not a choice i will try and get both a processor and a motherboard.

I was thinking of getting an i3570k and an ASRock z77 extreme4. Do you have any other suggestions of
similar potential but in a lower cost since i can spent this kind of money but i would have to cut on other life expenses.

Edit : that would be 373 euros or 495 dollars including 2x4gb corsair vengeance 1600.

ninja1eye

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
well, if you don't want to overclock, then downgrade the motherboard to an h61 (or whatever floats your boat), and the i5 to a 3450 or a 3470 (depending on if you have a dedicated gpu), which will yield very similar performance at stock speeds.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you have more money to spend, but not enough to get the Core I5 3570K, then I'd probably recommend getting your motherboard and RAM, but drop down to a low-end processor like the Pentium G640 I mentioned earlier until you can save up enough to get the I5-3570K.

Either that or put off your upgrade until you can afford it.

-Wolf sends