Sign in with
Your question

Can I use my current PSU?

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2013 12:32:20 PM

Hey guys, yesterday I purchased new and secondhand parts from ebay (3.00ghz pentium d, MSI P30 Neo, 2GB DDR2 RAM, ASUS Nvidia Geforce GT 630 2GB) and i was wondering if they will run on my current psu, which I believe is 315W. I will also be using a 120GB SATA hard drive and TSSTcorp CDRWDVD drive.

I hope that it will, because I don't want to pay more for the PSU than I am with any other part in the system.

And as a sidenote, because this may impact power consumption: I plan to play old(ish) games such as Crysis 1 (Med/High) Gta IV (Med/High) and Far Cry 2 (High). I also plan to run Windows XP rather than Vista or 7, namely because XP is the only copy of Windows that i own. But i digress. I will now get back to the topic at hand.

So, hopefully this means i can run this system on that PSU, and if so, are there any risks to my hardware by running it?

Thanks in advance,
walkingepidemic

More about : current psu

January 16, 2013 5:12:59 PM

What are the specs on the 315W power supply? That sounds around what an OEM power supply would be, so assuming everything is just stock equipment it may be ok... However, I don't think you will be able to run the games you listed at the settings listed. At the most, they may be at a low setting at a low resolution, if playable at all. A GT630 is more of a media graphics card, not gaming.
m
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 7:27:16 PM

It has 22A on the +5v rail, 14A on the +12v rail, 2A on the +5VSB rail, 1A on the -12V rail and 18A on the +3.3v rail.
And as you said, it is an OEM PSU, as it has a big dell sticker on it.
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:50:30 PM

You would be cutting it very close... if it would work at all... And even if it did work the GT630 is a horrible gaming GPU and won't play any of the games you listed very well. 14a on the 12v is only 168w that will need to be used to power the CPU and GPU... I doubt it will work.
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:05:20 PM

Your power supply most likely would work fine, the gt630 requires a 300W power supply according to Nvidia. The problem is that the gt630, even the ones that have gddr5 vram, are too weak for any sort of serious gaming (for example, games like Crysis 1). NVIDIA markets the gt630 as an "entry-level" gaming card.
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:09:05 PM

kulmnar said:
Your power supply most likely would work fine, the gt630 requires a 300W power supply according to Nvidia. The problem is that the gt630, even the ones that have gddr5 vram, are too weak for any sort of serious gaming (for example, games like Crysis 1). NVIDIA markets the gt630 as an "entry-level" gaming card.

His PSU only supplies 168w to his CPU + GPU... No way it will work. He needs a better PSU with more amps on the 12v rail.
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:25:39 PM

Derza10 said:
His PSU only supplies 168w to his CPU + GPU... No way it will work. He needs a better PSU with more amps on the 12v rail.

So exactly what amperage would I need to run them properly?

By the way, this probably will be unable to run it also, but I found another psu in an old PC: FortuneTec HEC-300TR-TF 300W +3.3V: 20A, +5V: 20A, +12v1: 8A, +12v2: 14A, -12v: 0.3A, +5vSB: 2A.

Will the inclusion of a second rail allow the system to run?
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:31:51 PM

No i don't believe that will help you. You really don't want to push a crappy PSU to its limits... It could easily bite you in the ass ( fail and take out parts of your system or the whole system.... or worse catch fire and take out the house :)  )
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:40:05 PM

Derza10 said:
No i don't believe that will help you. You really don't want to push a crappy PSU to its limits... It could easily bite you in the ass ( fail and take out parts of your system or the whole system.... or worse catch fire and take out the house :)  )

Thanks for your help, and what PSU (cheap) should I purchase for the system?

Note: Im in Australia, so newegg isn't going to help me.
m
l
!