Graphic Card suddenly decreases in performance?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabamawekesa

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hello,
I just built this new rig a week or so ago and the graphic card ran great of alot of games. Today, however it seems the graphic cards performance somehow decreased? I dont know how this happened but in one game where I usually get 100 + fps, now I get around 70. Also, I tried planetside 2 which I can run everything maxed but today its really laggy, like fps laggy. I also checked my windows score and when it was working fine the score was I believe 7.9 or 8.0 . But today its 4.9. I checked the drivers and it said amd has the best driver suited for this. My graphics card is the amd radeon hd 7870. Anyone know whats happening? There doesnt seem to be a decrease in other things like browsing. Just MAJOR decrease in the graphics card performance.

Thank you,
Kabama.

Solution
Well it should not be, Go into the bios and make sure the Pci-E graphics slot is set to be the primary Display output, make sure the Hd intel on board graphics solution is turned to off, in the bios also.
Save the settings in the bios before you exit.
Keep a check on how hot the 7870 card is getting also, because it will thermal throttle the Gpu speed to cope with Heat, downclocking the Gpu speed causing low frame rates. More cooling inside the tower may be needed, extra fans to draw cool air in, and exhaust hot air out. make sure the fan on the 7870 is indeed spinning also. Use a temp monitor to check the Gpu temp if its 90+ or more its an over heat on the card.
Do make sure that the video cable is plugged into the 7870 card and not...

kabamawekesa

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012
Hi,
I also noticed that Intel HD graphics just appeared in my tray when I got home today. I dont know, if someone updated something while I was gone but I know the Intel HD graphics icon wasnt there when the computer was fine.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Well it should not be, Go into the bios and make sure the Pci-E graphics slot is set to be the primary Display output, make sure the Hd intel on board graphics solution is turned to off, in the bios also.
Save the settings in the bios before you exit.
Keep a check on how hot the 7870 card is getting also, because it will thermal throttle the Gpu speed to cope with Heat, downclocking the Gpu speed causing low frame rates. More cooling inside the tower may be needed, extra fans to draw cool air in, and exhaust hot air out. make sure the fan on the 7870 is indeed spinning also. Use a temp monitor to check the Gpu temp if its 90+ or more its an over heat on the card.
Do make sure that the video cable is plugged into the 7870 card and not the on board Intel HD graphics port or you will get no display picture to the monitor after you select the Pci-e slot as the primary graphics display output in the bios. And you have connected the extra 12v Pci-e power connector to the back of the 7870 card.
Good luck I hope it solves your problem.

Solution

kabamawekesa

Honorable
Sep 18, 2012

Thank you Weaselman!

I tried to get into bios like you told me but I could not. I also noticed that when I plugged my comp back in, I put the dvi into the motherboard instead of the graphics card. I simply had to just plug the dvi into the graphic cards and it was fixed. Thank you for your quick response and help!

Status
Not open for further replies.