Sign in with
Your question

1st Build

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2013 1:05:04 PM

Hi i am looking to build my first pc and came here for advice on which hardware and stuff to include. This machine will be used for Gaming mostly as i want to replace my console and for everyday internet use school work that kind of thing. i would like to make this machine as future proof as possible with in reason. im getting my school money back here soon and would like to spend between 800-1000 on this machine not including the monitor. the only thing i feel im pretty sure about is that i want to use the i7-3770 although im not sure the difference between the 3770 and the 3770k. I am sure that i want an intel based system also. so please if anyone could help me out with the rest of the components based on that cpu (whichever is best) and on that budget i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

Dustin

More about : 1st build

a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 1:18:51 PM

If you go to the top of the page and find the sticky on 'how to ask for new build advice' and fill out the template there we can help you better.

For starters you dont want an i7 for gaming. The more we know the better we can help.
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:20:02 PM

ok i will look at that i didnt have alot of time so i jsut typed that up real quick thanks
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 1:56:15 PM

If you don't plan to overclock the CPU, here is a great build that will yield great performance results.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($35.57 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($112.98 @ Newegg)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 2GB Video Card ($227.55 @ Newegg)
Case: Rosewill Challenger-U3 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 550W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $978.56
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 10:56 EST-0500)
m
l
January 16, 2013 6:29:04 PM

i didnt see the template you were talking about that i should fill out to help with suggestions but why exactly dont i want an i7 for gaming what would be the downside to doing that ? i would like to have the i7 so that it can handle anything that i would possibly throw at it that way i dont have to upgrade if i get into something that would need it. i brought up the 3770 because from what i have seen thats like in the top 10 of cpus. also if anyone could tell me the diff between the 3770 and the 3770k would help.

c ball thanks for your input that is the kind of posts i am looking for. at for what you suggested im not sure how much better that is than my laptop i have now i mean it is def better but doesnt seem that much better to justify spending 1000 on. i have never overclocked or anything like that so that is something that i am interested in trying out so if you could explain why that set up isnt good for that i would appreciate it.

i would like to keep getting suggestions but i think what i will do is go to pcpartspicker.com build a sample machine and post it here and take suggestions based on that
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 6:32:46 PM

The i7 is too much for gaming. If you are going to do some rendering or heavy photoshop work, then get the i7. To overclock, you need a "k" version processor (i5-3570k) and a Z77 chipset motherboard and aftermarket cooling.

As far as you laptop, this rig will be way better than your laptop. Laptops usually don't have discrete graphics cards which make them horrible for gaming. I will see what I can come up with for an overlock rig ~$1000.
m
l
January 16, 2013 6:35:39 PM

i did find the template lol sorry bout that i will that out and hope it makes things easier for you guys i would like to have the i7 just in case i would get involved with something like that as i would like to learn photoshop etc. unless there is some reason it would make gaming worse i would like to go that route and def a k model as i would like to have the ability to overclock if i chose to do sothanks again and i will fill out the template for you guys
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 12:26:55 AM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZSx
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZSx/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZSx/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.52 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $892.69
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 21:26 EST-0500)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 6:39:26 AM

+1 to the above build. Although with the extra budget left over i'd get an SSD for boot drive and main programs.

Oh and change the memory for low profile.
m
l
January 17, 2013 7:41:13 AM

The i5-3470 performs basically the same as the 3570 and is about $50 cheaper. Often if you go to your campus book store you can get Windows for a deep discount, or even free from your tech dept.
m
l
January 17, 2013 7:45:22 AM

cball1311 said:
The i7 is too much for gaming. If you are going to do some rendering or heavy photoshop work, then get the i7. To overclock, you need a "k" version processor (i5-3570k) and a Z77 chipset motherboard and aftermarket cooling.

As far as you laptop, this rig will be way better than your laptop. Laptops usually don't have discrete graphics cards which make them horrible for gaming. I will see what I can come up with for an overlock rig ~$1000.

He is definitely right. There is no way you can justify spending the i7 dollars for a gaming rig. Invest that money in a really cool case instead. Most newer games are more gpu intensive and the more powerful cpu won't get you very far. Aside from that the only real difference between an I5 and an I7 is that the i7 has hyper threading (virtual cores) turned on.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 7:48:14 AM

dragonlord12832 said:
The i5-3470 performs basically the same as the 3570 and is about $50 cheaper. Often if you go to your campus book store you can get Windows for a deep discount, or even free from your tech dept.

He has said he wants to over clock so the 3470 will be no good, he needs the 3570k.

That's a good point about getting a copy of windows though.
m
l
January 17, 2013 7:55:53 AM

mikerockett said:
He has said he wants to over clock so the 3470 will be no good, he needs the 3570k.

That's a good point about getting a copy of windows though.

Originally he didn't mention over-clocking, and I would submit that he should not over-clock. Overclocking is a very good way to blow up an expensive build if you don't know what you are doing. I've never been a big fan, and since this is his first build and he didn't know what the k stood for, (no offense to him) I would submit that he might get in over his head with over-clocking.

Also, with that killer GPU he is getting over-clocking won't do much good. But, while the 3570k is over-clockable, I would recommend the FX-8350 for anyone wanting to get into over-clocking. It is probably a bit better for it as people tend to over-clock them more and therefore there are more support resources for it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 8:08:51 AM

dragonlord12832 said:
Originally he didn't mention over-clocking, and I would submit that he should not over-clock. Overclocking is a very good way to blow up an expensive build if you don't know what you are doing. I've never been a big fan, and since this is his first build and he didn't know what the k stood for, (no offense to him) I would submit that he might get in over his head with over-clocking.

Also, with that killer GPU he is getting over-clocking won't do much good. But, while the 3570k is over-clockable, I would recommend the FX-8350 for anyone wanting to get into over-clocking. It is probably a bit better for it as people tend to over-clock them more and therefore there are more support resources for it.

With simple over clocking being down to just adjusting the multiplier these days it is very easy to get into, as long as it's taken in small steps a simple bios reset will sort any problems. My last build was my first time over clocking for me and just a simple read in the over clocking forums and i was able to get a very reasonable and stable over clock in no time at all with no issues.

That being said i wouldn't want to force him into anything but at least getting the 3570k will give him the option in the future to try it when hes read up on it.
m
l
January 17, 2013 8:24:47 AM

mikerockett said:
With simple over clocking being down to just adjusting the multiplier these days it is very easy to get into, as long as it's taken in small steps a simple bios reset will sort any problems. My last build was my first time over clocking for me and just a simple read in the over clocking forums and i was able to get a very reasonable and stable over clock in no time at all with no issues.

That being said i wouldn't want to force him into anything but at least getting the 3570k will give him the option in the future to try it when hes read up on it.

I saw someone had an 8350 over-clocked to beat a stock i7-3770. I thought that was pretty cool, but they had to push it up by a whole ghz.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 8:36:37 AM

dragonlord12832 said:
I saw someone had an 8350 over-clocked to beat a stock i7-3770. I thought that was pretty cool, but they had to push it up by a whole ghz.

When you say beat, i presume you mean it got a higher clock? A higher clock between two different cpu's doesn't necessarily mean it will perform better.
m
l
January 17, 2013 4:32:00 PM

you are right about the overclocking thing that i dont know what im doing but its something i wanna try out. Me being me and the cheapo i really am i wouldnt put something i just dropped a g on in serious jeopardy and i wouldnt try to do anything like that with out doing my homework first but it is def something i would like the ability to do when i am ready to mess with it. at first i thought the 3770 was the way to go but i think 4 or mayb 5 people have all said to get the 3570k so i guess thats what it will be.

in the other post, the one where i actually filled out the template there are a couple more builds i still have about a month left before i can do anything so ive got time to look at each closely. always open for more opinions

thanks for the help guys
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
January 17, 2013 4:37:48 PM

mikerockett said:
When you say beat, i presume you mean it got a higher clock? A higher clock between two different cpu's doesn't necessarily mean it will perform better.

I think the 8350 comes with a higher clock as standard.
m
l
!