mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hi Guys,

This is my first post in Tomshardware, I have read many posts that helped me a lot and I still need ur help :D
I have a generic case with a generic psu branded JUMBO and labeled 500w (which is very fake for sure...)
that 12+ rail is labeled 17amps (which I have no idea of what this means but it may be imp as i read)

Well, to make it short. I need to upgrade from my LGA3000 intel graphics to the XFX 7750 core edition as i there is no space on my micro ATX mobo. I also read it does not need extra power. The problem is that the site says it need 450w+ PSU which will cost me much in my country...

http://xfxforce.com/en-gb/Products/Graphics-Cards/AMD/AMD-Radeon-HD-7000/AMD-Radeon-HD-7750/FX-775A-ZNF4.aspx

My specs are:
1x sata 2 640gb WD caviar blue
memory: 2x 1gb ddr2
mobo: g31m-es2l (gigabyte)
1 dvd RW drive
CPU: pentium dual core 2.5ghz E5200
TV tuner card
56k fax modem
keyboard+mouse
1x 120mm fan connected to the mobo

I have an extra ide 80gb WD that i can disconnect+a cd RW drive also expendable..
My mobo has pci-e 1.0 i think....

So is my system enough for the XFX 7750 single slot card? knowing that I intend to upgrade by February 2013!

Your right, that 500W can only output 204W through the 12v.

You should be fine (assuming teh generic can output the amps it claims and hasnt degraded due to age). That CPU only draws 65W under full load (unless youv been overclocking) and the 7750 could only use a max of 75W, so you have around 50W of headroom on the 12v under full load.

mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Thanks guys for the replies
@bignastyid, you made me confused again :(
I mean if I have to buy a psu, I would go for the 450w one (no big difference in price in my country) + sapphire 7770 (also small price difference from the xfx 7750 single slot) and I will have to get rid of my 56k fax modem then :( in order for a 2 slot card like the 7770 to be installed...

If you think I should get a PSU, which one of the following is better?

- Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 460W
- Antec VP450P 450w

EDIT:
@manofchalk, I never overclock, you see I am a newbee, and I just wanna play some games at medium to high settings (with a maximum of 4-5 hours per day)

@willyroc

Thanks all!

mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

@manofchalk,
I really know and I appreciate his concern and yours, if my pc dies (with all my data) I would follow it to the death :D so thanks @bignastyid

I found the CORSAIR CX430 V2 80 PLUS PSU and it out of stock in my market :( (and it is only 10$ more in equivalence to my currency)

why is it better than the ones i listed? and why did you chose the 450w antec over a 460 cooler master, I am just learning you know.. ;)

Thanks

Better quality unit than the others and is 80+ Bronze certified (higher efficiency).
Antec have a much better reputation for PSU's than Coolermaster do, especially among low end units. Besides, 10W isnt going to make a difference.

The wattage stated on the PSU name isn't necessarily true either (case in point, your generic).If you want to find the true wattage, you need to multiply current (measured in Amps or A) by Voltage (V), that will get you the rails true wattage. You only need to worry about the 12v rail, as that powers the CPU, mobo and video card, which are by far the biggest consumers of power in a system.

mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Roger that big!

Ok, though it will burden my budget for now, but I do not wanna kill my PC :sarcastic:
Getting the Antec one + 7750 or the 7770 .... will have to think about the card again..., I will update the post of what I have done!
Great info!

Thanks all very much for your cooperation!!!!

mizobizo

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Ok, am sorry to repeat the issue..
IF you look at the feedbacks
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150612
The 6th feedback say he used it with a 200w and another 220w PSU is that possible????
and does this mean i can avoid buying a PSU and use it 100% safely?????

Overall I am extremely pleased that I could game with a SFF case, a 200-220w psu and a single-slot graphics card. Well done XFX!