Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Parts on the way! New Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 16, 2013 2:22:45 PM

I just ordered all the parts I need for my new custom PC. I am very excited to build my first PC since 80GB hard drives where the best you can get, ha. I have not bought a monitor yet, I am going to use my 52" HDTV until I get one. Let me know what you think?
Here is what I will be building in about 2 days or so:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($119.95 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($87.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($98.97 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($219.99 @ Microcenter)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($88.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($55.98 @ NCIX US)
Total: $961.83
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 11:16 EST-0500)

I picked the i5-3570K because I plan on overclocking in the future. I was having a problem deciding between aftermarket CPU coolers so I will buy one later on. I couldn't decide between a fan/heatsink or closed loop watercooling system like the Corsair H60. Does anyone have any experience with which one is better? pros? cons?

More about : parts build

January 16, 2013 2:45:19 PM

For the amount of effort you would put in i would just stick with a decent fan cooler, either hyper 212 evo or noctua nh-d14. They'll give you very good cooling with less hassle.

What you will have to watch out for though is making sure the cooler fits over the ram, low profile ram would've been much better.

Other than that everything seems good.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 3:21:28 PM

mikerockett said:
For the amount of effort you would put in i would just stick with a decent fan cooler, either hyper 212 evo or noctua nh-d14. They'll give you very good cooling with less hassle.

What you will have to watch out for though is making sure the cooler fits over the ram, low profile ram would've been much better.

Other than that everything seems good.


Well let's hope it fits in the future, if not I'll buy new RAM. The H60 seems easy to install, there is just too many things to go wrong with it I think.
m
0
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 3:26:50 PM

when you get the parts..before you install windows make sure you update the mb bios and make sure the ssd firmware is up to date. some firmware updates will wipe all the data off of ssds.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 3:34:38 PM

If you are planing to get some of the Corsair H Series water cooler, then you have not to worry about it fitting the space, so just do not bother about high profile ram.

The only thing I´d definitively change in your build is the SSD -- Samsung 840 uses NAND Flash Memory TLC, which wear out a lot faster (it is slow too) than the Samsung 840 Pro Version, that uses NAND Flash Memory MLC.

The thing is that the Samsung 840 Pro is quite expensive, so if it is not for you, then get the Samsung 830, which uses NAND Flash Memory MLC.

m
0
l
January 16, 2013 3:38:46 PM

kreichs said:
Well let's hope it fits in the future, if not I'll buy new RAM. The H60 seems easy to install, there is just too many things to go wrong with it I think.


check out the article below from toms on how a strong air cooler compared with liquid coolers

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/h100i-elc240-seidon-240m-...
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 3:46:32 PM

smorizio said:
when you get the parts..before you install windows make sure you update the mb bios and make sure the ssd firmware is up to date. some firmware updates will wipe all the data off of ssds.


Thanks! You are already answering some other questions I had. I have a usb ready for all the latest drivers, here is what I have so far:
-BIOS
-Audio
-Chipset
-LAN
-nvidia Graphics Card

Here is a list of drivers available for download, do I need all of them?
-VGA(I am going to use a discrete card, so I don't think I need this)
-Firmware(Do I need firmware drivers for my MOBO and my SSD?)
-SATA?

I was thinking I should just download all of them.
m
0
l
!