Sign in with
Your question

Speaker and wireless mouse interference

Last response: in Systems
January 16, 2013 3:28:59 PM

I have a home-built PC, and since day 1 I have had trouble with interference. i was originally using a Razor wireless mouse, but it was very jumpy and laggy. I replaced it with a cheap wired mouse and its smooth as silk now. Also I can hear hissing and static in my speakers and headphones, using both the front and rear 3.5mm jack. Clearly there is some sort of interference, but I am not sure where to look. Is it caused by hardware in my machine, or maybe because my AT&T router and TV are on the other side of the wall?

Thanks for any suggestions.
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 5:05:05 PM

I would test another set of speakers or headphones. It wouldn't have anything to do with your router or TV being set next to your PC. Maybe if you were next to a very large power source or transformer or something, but not those devices. I've seen power supplies playing funny games with onboard sound, but many times its just a bad onboard audio output. I've had this before after a power supply goes out and I've seen threads on here where it is just bad right out of the gate. Really the only way to repair that is to replace the motherboard. With my issue in the past I just bought a dedicated sound card. They sound FAR FAR better anyway as they have better sound reproduction and a better onboard AMP.

As far as the wireless mouse, I am not sure. I've never used wireless mice, except on a laptop for portability. Could just be a bad receiver, low battery, bad mouse laser (assuming it's a laser mouse), reflective mousepad (never use a glossy or coated mousepad), etc.
m
l
January 16, 2013 5:37:44 PM

jay2tall said:
I would test another set of speakers or headphones. It wouldn't have anything to do with your router or TV being set next to your PC. Maybe if you were next to a very large power source or transformer or something, but not those devices. I've seen power supplies playing funny games with onboard sound, but many times its just a bad onboard audio output. I've had this before after a power supply goes out and I've seen threads on here where it is just bad right out of the gate. Really the only way to repair that is to replace the motherboard. With my issue in the past I just bought a dedicated sound card. They sound FAR FAR better anyway as they have better sound reproduction and a better onboard AMP.

Thank you for your reply. I have tried both the front and rear audio jack with speakers and headphones and got the same result. I also tried buying a cheap PCI sound card but that didn't help either. Someone suggested trying an external USB sound card...maybe that will help?

jay2tall said:
As far as the wireless mouse, I am not sure. I've never used wireless mice, except on a laptop for portability. Could just be a bad receiver, low battery, bad mouse laser (assuming it's a laser mouse), reflective mousepad (never use a glossy or coated mousepad), etc.

I have tried 2 different wireless mice, both with and without a mouse pad. The lag occurred all the time, but was most noticeable when the computer was working...like when playing a PC game.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
January 16, 2013 5:46:35 PM

jconway2002 said:
Thank you for your reply. I have tried both the front and rear audio jack with speakers and headphones and got the same result. I also tried buying a cheap PCI sound card but that didn't help either. Someone suggested trying an external USB sound card...maybe that will help?

I have tried 2 different wireless mice, both with and without a mouse pad. The lag occurred all the time, but was most noticeable when the computer was working...like when playing a PC game.

So you tried 2 devices on both the front and rear audio ports and got static? You also tried a dedicated PCI sound card and got the same noise? You said it didn't help, but was the result the same? If so, it could very well be a power supply issue. You could just not be getting clean power, or stable power.

I wonder if there is a PSU issue if this could be related. What kind of PSU do you have? Have you had any hardware failures, specifically needing to replace your power supply?
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:32:02 PM

jay2tall said:
So you tried 2 devices on both the front and rear audio ports and got static? You also tried a dedicated PCI sound card and got the same noise? You said it didn't help, but was the result the same? If so, it could very well be a power supply issue. You could just not be getting clean power, or stable power.

I wonder if there is a PSU issue if this could be related. What kind of PSU do you have? Have you had any hardware failures, specifically needing to replace your power supply?

Yes, you are correct. All the steps I took resulted in the same static noise. I will have to double check what PSU I have. I can say however that I have not had any hardware failures though.
m
l
!