Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why good lenses cost what they do? An example

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:58:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Take a look at the shots and the thread. Either the Sigma
is just plain terrible, or the Olympus is fantastic.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&m...

More about : good lenses cost

Anonymous
July 31, 2005 12:58:10 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <rkipe1t0rhaeplq1v7rimomvb2qrjnudul@4ax.com>, RichA
<none@none.com> wrote:

> Take a look at the shots and the thread. Either the Sigma
> is just plain terrible, or the Olympus is fantastic.
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&m...

The words "Sigma" and "terrible" go quite well together.
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:01:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

Can't see the images!

Norm
Related resources
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 12:01:39 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:01:38 GMT, "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net>
wrote:

>Can't see the images!
>
> Norm

I think in that case, if you have an anti-pop up program
running it prevents seeing them. Normally, when an image is linked
onto dpreview.com, there is no problem. It has to do
with how the image site handles things.
-Rich
August 1, 2005 1:27:38 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

RichA <none@none.com> wrote in news:rkipe1t0rhaeplq1v7rimomvb2qrjnudul@
4ax.com:

> Take a look at the shots and the thread. Either the Sigma
> is just plain terrible, or the Olympus is fantastic.
> http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1022&m...

That's an interesting comparison, but of rather limited value. It does
clearly show that very cheap lenses are often not as good as dearer lenses.

The Olympus 50-200 f2.8-3.5 Lens is $999.95 from B&H
The Sigma 55-200 f4-5.6 DC lens is $159.00 from B&H

Shooting the Sigma wide open compared to shooting the Oly at over a stop
down shows the Oly to be sharper, wow - big surprise!

For the price of the Oly you could buy a Sigma 50-500 lens.
For less money you could buy a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX. I wonder how a
comparison shot at 200/5.6 would look between the Oly and this lens?




--
Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 25-June-05)
"There are 10 types of people, those that
understand binary and those that don't"
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:21:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
news:0ccqe1126kgoflbsubu6cahk52q99h34gi@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:01:38 GMT, "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Can't see the images!
>>
>> Norm
>
> I think in that case, if you have an anti-pop up program
> running it prevents seeing them. Normally, when an image is linked
> onto dpreview.com, there is no problem. It has to do
> with how the image site handles things.
> -Rich
>

No, not so -- and the images loaded just fine this time so I have no idea
what happened earlier.

Norm
Anonymous
August 1, 2005 4:49:59 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 00:21:14 GMT, "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net>
wrote:

>"RichA" <none@none.com> wrote in message
>news:0ccqe1126kgoflbsubu6cahk52q99h34gi@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 20:01:38 GMT, "Norm Dresner" <ndrez@att.net>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Can't see the images!
>>>
>>> Norm
>>
>> I think in that case, if you have an anti-pop up program
>> running it prevents seeing them. Normally, when an image is linked
>> onto dpreview.com, there is no problem. It has to do
>> with how the image site handles things.
>> -Rich
>>
>
>No, not so -- and the images loaded just fine this time so I have no idea
>what happened earlier.
>
> Norm

Odd. I run Panicware and it was preventing some images from showing.
But most linked images, 95% show up right from the get-go.
-Rich
Anonymous
August 2, 2005 1:15:45 PM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

MarkH <markat@atdot.dot.dot> writes:

> For the price of the Oly you could buy a Sigma 50-500 lens.
> For less money you could buy a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX. I wonder how a
> comparison shot at 200/5.6 would look between the Oly and this lens?

Except the Sigma 50-500 and 70-200 f/2.8 EX lenses aren't available on the
4/3rd platform.

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org
http://www.the-meissners.org
Anonymous
August 3, 2005 3:01:54 AM

Archived from groups: rec.photo.digital.slr-systems (More info?)

In article <m3zms0a39a.fsf@tiktok.the-meissners.org>, mrmnews@the-
meissners.org says...
> MarkH <markat@atdot.dot.dot> writes:
>
> > For the price of the Oly you could buy a Sigma 50-500 lens.
> > For less money you could buy a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX. I wonder how a
> > comparison shot at 200/5.6 would look between the Oly and this lens?
>
> Except the Sigma 50-500 and 70-200 f/2.8 EX lenses aren't available on the
> 4/3rd platform.

A lot of things aren't available on the 4/3rds platform.

*rimshot*
--
http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird
!