Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

I can build it, but will it run....

Last response: in Systems
Share
January 16, 2013 5:17:23 PM

I can build the system, the question is what will it take to run upcoming AAA titles at Med - High settings and can it be done on an Intel machine for less than $800? The proposed builded below is my first stab at what I think would allow me to run Crysis 3, let alone BF3 on Medium to High Settings?


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xUvA
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xUvA/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xUvA/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($223.79 @ Amazon)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($17.99 @ Amazon)

Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.99 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.42 @ Amazon)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB Video Card ($179.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($64.87 @ Amazon)

Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($27.63 @ Amazon)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($92.65 @ Amazon)

Total: $860.31

Could this proposed build be tweaked without losing power / graphics? Can I actually do better (as far as the graphics card is concerned) for less without changing out the processor? My research and gut feeling says I shouldn't downgrade to an I3 for both power and longevity sake? Thanks everyone in advance for your help!


More about : build run

January 16, 2013 5:49:53 PM

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xVFb
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xVFb/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xVFb/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $789.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 14:49 EST-0500)


better parts, and graphic card, and ps and ram, :) 

m
0
l
January 16, 2013 6:03:31 PM

iceclock said:
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xVFb
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xVFb/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xVFb/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB Video Card ($194.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $789.86
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 14:49 EST-0500)


better parts, and graphic card, and ps and ram, :) 



Seconded, that GTX 650ti is going to be a huge bottleneck in gaming. HD 7870ghz is much faster
m
0
l
Related resources
January 16, 2013 6:17:59 PM

coolio :p 
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 6:50:23 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, but help me understand why the video card wouldn't be right... what about it specifically? Every I've read, I'm being told go EVGA... I just figured 2 gb would be what I'd what?

In all honesty I used to build computers for my friends and every once in a while for myself as well, but I haven't in so many years that I'm just not 'up' on 'whats-what.'

m
0
l
January 16, 2013 6:56:12 PM

Curious to see why everything was priced on Amazon. When I open it up under PCPartpicker it shows the cpu/ram having a combo discount on Newegg. So I'm not sure if it was just linked wrong to show amazon pricing, or if that was done on purpose.

Anyways...unless your going to overclock, or if your not going to OC right away, you can ditch the aftermarket heat sink. You can always upgrade this cheaply/easily later if you change your mind. You could also get a non-k version (that Iceclock linked) if your not OC'ing or drop to an i5-3470 and not lose much performance.

Newegg also has a Corsair CX600 psu on sale for 49.99 (after MIR).

I don't think a 650TI would handle Crysis the best. I would say to try to pick up a 7850 or 660 at least, I saw newegg has a 7870 on sale for 195. Which I would go with. (On second look I see Iceclock linked it as well lol)
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 7:02:07 PM

the problem is the gpu..try to get a gtx 560 on that price.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 7:57:11 PM

well the 650 ti isnt very powerful compared to the 7870 2gb, thats why, and u dont need an nvidia card. the 7870gb is great and will handle games u trow at it :) 

and evga just makes good graphic cards and has good warranties but sapphir is great also and is on the amd side.

m
0
l
January 16, 2013 8:24:23 PM

iceclock said:
well the 650 ti isnt very powerful compared to the 7870 2gb, thats why, and u dont need an nvidia card. the 7870gb is great and will handle games u trow at it :) 

and evga just makes good graphic cards and has good warranties but sapphir is great also and is on the amd side.



Thanks, I'll look into that; however I've got a stigma against AMD as I don't feel they're up to par with their chips.... or is this more of my ignorance on the subject conflicting with fact?!?!

On a separate note, I should mention that this isn't going in my basement, but will be connected to my TV. It isn't a high end flat screen by any count but gets the job done. With that being said, will I have aspect ration issues? I believe it's a 42" 60hz, 1080p LCD Screen. Buying a monitor at this time would prove fruitless as I'm trying to make this build as inexpensive as possible. Speaking on that, if I didn't go with the 7870 would you have another option in mind? Say it's another $25 - $50. Lastly, how do you know that the 650ti isn't powerful? I get that it isn't, but I don't understand why? I thought the higher the number sequence the better, but at one point its suggested I try and get a 560 for that price?!?! Can you help me understand what it is I'm looking for in a video card that would deem it worthy or not? Thanks guys!
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 10:15:36 PM

SHO_ONE said:
Thanks, I'll look into that; however I've got a stigma against AMD as I don't feel they're up to par with their chips.... or is this more of my ignorance on the subject conflicting with fact?!?!


AMD video cards (formerly ATI) are fantastic, and are neck and neck with Nvidia cards (actually, AMD currently has the fastest single GPU card out right now.)

It's AMD's CPUs that have issue. I reccommend AMD CPUs in builds if, and only if, the client is interested in overclocking and doesn't have the budget for a 3570k. AMD leaves more of their product line multiplier unlocked (overclocking friendly) than intel. This is AMD's only real advantage in the enthusiast market.

When fully overclocked, the AMD chips stack up well against more expensive intel chips, though the AMD part uses more power in doing so.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 10:31:55 PM

The 650 Ti will probably run Crysis at medium-ish setting with some "eye candy" disabled. But since you posted a high-end/pricier version of the 650 Ti that's so close in price to the 7850/7870/660, those cards would be so much better off for the small price difference. As far as the shortcomings of the 650 Ti, it has a pretty low memory bandwidth, lower number of shader/texture cores and lower clock speeds. It's really only a step up from the bottom of this generations gaming cards.

If you don't want a 7870, the Nvidia 660 would be its closest "equivalent" and would be your next step up from the 650 Ti and it is a nice step up at that. As far as the AMD vs Nvidia debate. IMO it really doesn't matter, they are both high end video card companies for a reason. The best thing to do is look at the benchmarks for the games you play and see how they preform compared to each other.

Here are a few helpful links you might want to look through.
Tom's Graphic Card Hierarchy Chart
Tom's 660/650 Review
Tom's 650 Ti Review
Tom's 7870/7850 Review (Doesn't list the 6XX series as they weren't out at the time).
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 10:48:47 PM

dito, as named by iceclock :) 

m
0
l
January 16, 2013 11:32:40 PM

quilciri said:
AMD video cards (formerly ATI) are fantastic, and are neck and neck with Nvidia cards (actually, AMD currently has the fastest single GPU card out right now.)

It's AMD's CPUs that have issue. I reccommend AMD CPUs in builds if, and only if, the client is interested in overclocking and doesn't have the budget for a 3570k. AMD leaves more of their product line multiplier unlocked (overclocking friendly) than intel. This is AMD's only real advantage in the enthusiast market.

When fully overclocked, the AMD chips stack up well against more expensive intel chips, though the AMD part uses more power in doing so.


I wish there was a 'thanks / thank you' button.... thank you all! Watched a few vids.... looks like they are neck and neck.... would these cards be considered mid-line / grade cards? Is my build / proposed build worth the money / time and effort? I feel like my budget isn't on par with what I think of when I think of a gaming PC.
m
0
l
January 16, 2013 11:33:59 PM

well theres choose a best answer button :D ,

the pc i design for u will game fine and nicely and under 800 bucks, :D  thats a steal.

yes its worth every penny u dont need to spend more than 800 bucks to get something decent.

m
0
l
January 17, 2013 12:33:17 AM

Quote:
because its doesnt have alot of bandwitch going tru its veins compared to better graphic cards, smaller bit bus, less shader cores etc.

the ati cards are doing very good if u want nvidia absolutely the equivalent would be the gtx 660 nonti for ur budget.


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xXSm
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xXSm/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xXSm/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($214.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 430W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $814.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 18:34 EST-0500)



What do you think of the 3470 vs the 3570.... would the $30 +/- I save really be worth it in the long run?
Why the msi mobo as suppose to Asrock and why G.Skill Ripjaw instead of the Corsair Vengeance on the ram? As for the PSU, wouldn't the 430W be below the recommended 450W minimum the 660 gpu requires? In any case, its a great start, I'm going to tweak this a bit.

I'll get back to you with another list shortly....
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 12:40:27 AM

no, that 430watt ps is actually of better build quality than its higher wattage brother the cx500, u wont see a difference between the 3470 and 3570 tbh. unless u get the 3570k and overclock.

gskill ripjaws are quite good, and look cooler than the corsair tbh.

no difference but i prefer the msi board and its z77, has ssd caching option.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 12:50:35 AM

iceclock said:
no, that 430watt ps is actually of better build quality than its higher wattage brother the cx500, u wont see a difference between the 3470 and 3570 tbh.

gskill ripjaws are quite good, and look cooler than the corsair tbh.

no difference but i prefer the msi board and its z77, has ssd caching option.


you said: no difference but i prefer the msi board and its z77, has ssd caching option <- why is this important...

I hope this doesn't sound as stupid as it does in my head, but would the 3570 be a bit more 'future proof,' as suppose to the 3470? And to be honest, I think I would like a higher wattage psu of equal or greater quality to the one you mentioned.

On a separate note, do you have a gaming rig? Are these the same parts you've used / used in the past? As for the Ram, looking cooler isn't a priority as much as performance.... with that in mind Vengeance or G.Skill?
m
0
l

Best solution

January 17, 2013 1:03:41 AM

yes, i have this :

Cooler-Master 690 Advanced Atx Case.

Razer Black-Sharks Battle-Field3 Edition he@d-phon3z

Corsair 850 Watt Modular Power-Supply

Corsair Vengeance Black Lp 16 Gig Kit 8x2gigs Ddr3 1600mhz

Crucial m4 256gb ssd drive

Seagate 2tb Sata3 Hard-Drive.

Western Digital 640GB Caviar Green SATA2 3GB/S 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk

GalaxyTech Geforce Gtx 660ti 2gb Gc Edition

Cooler-Master Quickfire Mx Cherry Blue Mechanical Keyboard.

Logitech G400 Gaming Mouse

razer mentis gaming mousepad clothX

creative gigabit t40 speakers

Lg Flatron E2442 Monitor Led



and ssd caching is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Response_Technology

not really since ur not overclocking.

if u was overclocking be a different story.


fixed ur rig with the right modifications:


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y0iB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y0iB/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y0iB/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $821.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 22:03 EST-0500)
Share
January 17, 2013 1:25:09 AM

Best answer selected by SHO_ONE.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 1:26:23 AM

iceclock said:
yes, i have this :

Cooler-Master 690 Advanced Atx Case.

Razer Black-Sharks Battle-Field3 Edition he@d-phon3z

Corsair 850 Watt Modular Power-Supply

Corsair Vengeance Black Lp 16 Gig Kit 8x2gigs Ddr3 1600mhz

Crucial m4 256gb ssd drive

Seagate 2tb Sata3 Hard-Drive.

Western Digital 640GB Caviar Green SATA2 3GB/S 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk

GalaxyTech Geforce Gtx 660ti 2gb Gc Edition

Cooler-Master Quickfire Mx Cherry Blue Mechanical Keyboard.

Logitech G400 Gaming Mouse

razer mentis gaming mousepad clothX

creative gigabit t40 speakers

Lg Flatron E2442 Monitor Led



and ssd caching is this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smart_Response_Technology

not really since ur not overclocking.

if u was overclocking be a different story.


fixed ur rig with the right modifications:


PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y0iB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y0iB/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y0iB/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($41.26 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card ($209.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($22.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $821.12
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 22:03 EST-0500)


....EDIT....
well done!!! All but the case! Good find with the 3570k on sale at Microcenter! <- @#$%'n in-store pickup only :(  50 miles drive eeekk!
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 1:54:13 AM

oh well, its worth it :D  for the saving u get.

could be worse.

m
0
l
January 17, 2013 3:28:23 AM

SHO_ONE said:
What do you think of the 3470 vs the 3570.... would the $30 +/- I save really be worth it in the long run?
Why the msi mobo as suppose to Asrock and why G.Skill Ripjaw instead of the Corsair Vengeance on the ram? As for the PSU, wouldn't the 430W be below the recommended 450W minimum the 660 gpu requires? In any case, its a great start, I'm going to tweak this a bit.

I'll get back to you with another list shortly....


As far as the 3470 vs 3570 vs 3570k. It really boils down to if you plan on overclocking or not. If you do want to OC, go with the 3570k. If not I would drop down to the 3470, to save the $30-40 to put towards a vid card or other option, (ssd, peripherals). IMO the 3570 isn't worth downgrading to for the $5ish you save. And again, if you do not plan to over clock, you do not need an aftermarket CPU cooler. The stock cooler is sufficient for stock clocks, save the $25 to put towards a better vid card or other option. So if your not going to OC that would give you $55-65 to put towards a better vid card based on the $210 of the 660 listed gets you well into 660Ti territory at $265-275.

ASRock makes pretty solid mobos as does MSI. I have not had a problem with either in the past, and I am loving my current ASRock board.

As far as the ram, both Corsair and G.Skill are great ram vendors. Those are my top two ram manufactures to be honest. I have had 3 sets of each and never had an issue, and a couple of each that I have put into friend's/family's PCs. Again, you can't go wrong either way here. One note here though, is to keep in mind that if you are using an aftermarket heatsink, you may run into clearance issues with RAM that has tall heatsinks. I normally try to stick with low profile ram as I do have a aftermarket HS. If you are not going to use an aftermarket HS then just pick the cheapest (keep in mind combo discounts) and you'll be set.

For the PSU, "watts" is kind of a generic reference used to ease confusion/bring a sense of uniformity. The Corsair 430 should be fine, its a quality PSU that can handle more load than most cheaply made 400ish watt PSUs. However, if you ever plan to SLI, you would likely have to upgrade it. The XFX used in the last proposed build seems to be shaping into a nice PSU as well. It's made by Seasonic who makes a lot of Corsair PSUs. They are one of the better PSU manufatures in the business imo. (I think CWT makes the Corsair CX series, but they seem to fair just as well).
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 3:40:06 AM

hes not planning to sli, and 650watts is more than enought for sli or crossfire for a midtier card such as the 660ti or 7870s :) 

m
0
l
January 17, 2013 7:41:32 AM

I know that he is not planning to SLI right now (nor would I advise him to based on his budget). But we don't know what his future plans will be. I was just letting him know potential upgrade issues he may have. That's why I said "if you ever plan to SLI". He would have that option open to him with the XFX650. I was saying the CX430 wouldn't be able to handle an SLI and he would have to upgrade the CX430 if he ever wanted to SLI on that.
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 1:57:07 PM

Thanks again guys...
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 2:29:07 PM

no problems. anytime. well theres a reason i dint choose a sli board, because the cheapest one thats decent is 127$.

also the board i got him has crossfire.

m
0
l
January 17, 2013 5:18:52 PM

iceclock said:
no problems. anytime. well theres a reason i dint choose a sli board, because the cheapest one thats decent is 127$.

also the board i got him has crossfire.


Not to beat a dead horse, but the PSU you suggested, the 430.... your 100% sure its all I need? Why does the manufacture state I'd need at minimum 450 watts if 430 would suffice?

If you are sure, then my next questions is... is it quite?
m
0
l
January 17, 2013 5:28:02 PM

i chose a 650watt ps not 430.

m
0
l
!