Problems with Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator

a b \ Driver
August 28, 2005 8:35:45 PM

Hello

First of all sorry for my English.

I was working on my pc and was trying to update the controller of my
sound card. Then the pc restarted (not normally, just restarted) and
when windows loaded again, the sound card was not working. I checked
in my Device manager and noticed that I had problems with all my
hardware (CD Rom, DVD Rom, Graphic Card, Audio Card, etc..). The
"System Devices" list was open also and had a problem with the "Plug
and Play Software Device Enumerator". I Tried to update the controller
but there was an error 39 (there was no controller or the controller
had errors)

I checked the Windows Trouble Assistant and uninstalled all the
devices that presented that problem including the Plug and Play
Software Device Enumerator. Nothing happened, but Plug and Play thing
did not showed up again.
Then I tried to install the Graphic Card Drivers because those drivers
I had downloaded yesterday and have them on my Hard Disk (I was not
able to run other controllers because the CD Rom and DVD Rom were not
working).
When I finished to install those drivers, the pc restarted (normally,
it asked first) and all the devices worked properly (CD Rom, DVD Rom,
Monitor, Web Camera, etc) except sound card, and the Plug and Play
Software Device Enumerator did not appear in my System Devices list.

Now I have no sound and no Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator. I
would like to know how I can install again that Enumerator.

Thank you very much for your help, once again sorry for my poor
English.

Best Regards

Diego Vega
Ecuador

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Device-Driver-Problems-Plu...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1379553
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
July 31, 2010 4:34:08 PM

This is what solved my audio problem. After days of messing with drivers I installed the Plug and Play Software
Enumerator (which had vanished from my devices). Rebooted and it worked perfectly.

Visit the original post here which has more options if this one doesn't work for you:
http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=167725

Again, these are instructions on how to install the Plug and Play Software Enumerator
in XP/2k -- if it is missing. If it isn't missing and works then this wouldn't be
the cause of your audio problem.

From an MSDOS cmd prompt type or cut and paste

md \temp
cd \temp
copy %windir%\inf\machine.inf \temp\allmachine.inf
copy %windir%\system32\drivers\swenum.sys \temp
copy %windir%\system32\streamci.dll \temp
notepad \temp\allmachine.inf

Using notepad go to line 22 (CTRL-G 22) which should be
ExcludeFromSelect=*
delete and remove that line wherever you find it (Line 20 maybe)
and save the file

We're finished that part. Notepad and the cmd prompt can be closed. %windir% was
probably c:\windows\ and that was automatically be expanded in the windows cmd prompt.

Now, just go to Add Hardware, add a new hardware device there at the bottom, install
from list, next, have disk, and select the temp directory where we copied the files
(c:\temp\ in the example here).

You should have all the different machine level services listed since we've removed
the ExcludeFromSelect=* which hid them all. We only want to add Plug and Play Software
Enumerator and nothing else so select and install only that.
February 27, 2011 6:53:01 AM

*Bump for the Bump God!*

I decided to bump this thread since I'm having similar problems. I've detailed my issues in this thread since I believed it to be hardware related (may still be of course), but since my Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator (now that's a mouthful) is faulty (error code 39) I googled for it as well and found this thread.

I've tried the solution detailed in the post above me, but that didn't help unfortunately. I get an error message that the device wasn't installed correctly and may not function, still a code 39.

How can I get the Plug and Play, and thus hopefully my sound and DVD, working properly again?
!