I7-2600k CPU w/ PCI-E 2.0 mobo slot & PCI-E 3.0 GPU compatibility

broman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hello everyone,

I'm new to this forum and I have some questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with for my first personal multi purpose computer build. I'm familiar with basic essentials, but I'm no expert by any means.

Firstly I guess I'll come right out and ask it, will I be able to use these three parts together in harmony without any major foul ups?

Sandy Bridge i7-2600k CPU

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z Motherboard (LGA-1158 socket & 2.0 PCI-E expansion slot)

Radeon HD 7870GHz Ready Crossfire X 3.0 PCI-E 3.0 GPU

I've read a few articles online about being able to use a 3.0 PCI-E GPU in motherboards with 2.0 slots the 3.0 will just not be enabled, my concern is I've also read the sandy bridge i7-2600k is completely in compatible with the 3.0 gpu's. So if you have any input or suggestions please let me know as soon as possible I'm gettin ready to order all these parts and I would appreciate some guidance, if I need to make a change please say so. Once again sorry for my lack of expertise.

prototype18

Distinguished
perfrel_1920.gif

No problem at all. Buy them .

Sooth1

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Yes they are compatible. That motherboard is LGA 1155 btw (which is compatible). I would recommend an I5 3570k and a z77 motherboard for gaming though. Then you will have PCI-E 3.0 as well. Although it doesn't really make much of a difference currently. (2.0 vs 3.0)

broman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Is my selection really relevant?

I didn't realize until after the fact of selecting them, that there was a problem with the CPU's compatibility with the GPU I was assuming since I could use a 3.0 card in a 2.0 slot it just will not be enabled it shouldnt be an issue with the processor but i suppose not?

If you don't have anything positive to say or any suggestions please keep your comments to yourself I really don't care to hear sarcasm or negative responses?

Thanks anways??

broman

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks for the confirmation, I will be gaming but as I said earlier it will be a multi purpose computer I also plan on using it foo stream videos, work in Photoshop and AutoCAD software. If you have any suggestions of what i could do to improve my computers performance for those purposes it would also be appreciated.

Thanks again.

prototype18

Distinguished

Well Amd GPU (New gen) are better than Nvidia (New gen) in comppute apps.So that GPU is ok.

I would try to edit (If possible) the MoBo /CPU/Hyper 212 Evo. Why dont you get IB (I5-3570K / I7-3770K) and a new MoBo like Asrock Extreme 4 or better than it (ASRock Z77 Extreme9/ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77)

I would get Asus Sabertooth with 5 Years warranty.

dingo07

Distinguished
You mention AutoCAD - I was an AutoCAD professional with over 15 years experience. Will you be doing 2D only work, or 3D modeling as well? And what version are you using?
Assuming you'll be doing 2D only, what you've spec'd is ok - however if you'll be doing 3D mostly, you'll want to get an NVIDIA CUDA GPU and definitely a Z77 motherboard