Evga geforce gtx 660 3gb superclocked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattv1993

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012
I am in the process of gathering information for a new pc build. I intend to do gaming with maximum graphics and also media work(3D renders photoshop video editing) and need to know if the evga geforce gtx 660 3gb superclocked will be well suited for the job? and is it better than the gtx 560 non ti superclocked? I did some research on the gtx 660 it has 960 cuda cores and 192 bit GDDR5 compared to the gtx 560's 336 and 256 bit GDDR5. How important is the BIT? If it is higher is it better or are there any pros and cons to having a higher bit rate or a lower bit rate?

Thanks

Solution
I wouldn't say it's a massive upgrade between the two, but it is an upgrade without question. And yes, jaideep1337 is 100% correct - the 192bit bus shouldn't scare you off because, if anything, nvidia did their math quite well and they decided to go with the most practical solution that does not come at the expense of performance, so don't let the 192 vs 256 turn you off here.

Does memory interface matter? Yes. Does it matter here between these two cards you're looking at? No. If you were comparing two cards with identical memory speeds then yes, it would matter and the 192-bit interface would be a drawback, but between the two cards you're looking at, the 192-bit memory interface will still yield, over-all, better memory performance...

jaideep1337

Honorable
Sep 5, 2012
The GTX660 is better than the 560 by a good margin. The bit rate determines the memory bandwidth but on the 660 the memory is clocked higher so that makes up for the 192bit bus.

Also you don't need a 3GB card unless you're going to have a multi-monitor setup.

mattv1993

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Very interesting thank you that helped alot :). So for media type duties it would also be perfect?

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I wouldn't say it's a massive upgrade between the two, but it is an upgrade without question. And yes, jaideep1337 is 100% correct - the 192bit bus shouldn't scare you off because, if anything, nvidia did their math quite well and they decided to go with the most practical solution that does not come at the expense of performance, so don't let the 192 vs 256 turn you off here.

Does memory interface matter? Yes. Does it matter here between these two cards you're looking at? No. If you were comparing two cards with identical memory speeds then yes, it would matter and the 192-bit interface would be a drawback, but between the two cards you're looking at, the 192-bit memory interface will still yield, over-all, better memory performance than the 560's slower memory with a slightly higher interface.

About the CUDA cores...very important for you to realize that Kepler does things differently than Fermi. In terms of effective output, you'll looking at equivalent performance of 960/2=480 cores. So don't think that you'll getting the raw benefit of an extra 624 CUDA cores. In fact, in effective use, you're gaining 144. Still VERY nice, but this is one point that most people at first don't realize.

I'd go without question with the 660!

Solution

mattv1993

Honorable
Mar 10, 2012

Thank you so much this has helped me alot I feel alot better now about buying the 660

Status
Not open for further replies.