Computer will not POST with Graphics Card Installed

timoteob

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Hello All,

I am helping my nephew trouble shoot a problem he is having with a new system that he is building. He has got an Intel H67 motherboard and a Radeon HD 7870 graphics card. The system will POST and allow him into the BIOS without the graphics card installed. However, with the card installed the system will not POST. The PC just displays an error code. When he looked up the code online, it was just a general error message that was not specific.

Things that I have confirmed with him so far:

1) The PSU exceeds the min power requirements for the motherboard and video card.
2) The PSU has a 6 pin pci-e power connector
3) He changed the BIOS setting to use the video card in the expantion slot.
4) The fans on the video card power on when the computer is powered.
5) Reseated the card to make sure it is installed properly.
6) Used a known good video card to rule out a problem with other components. It POSTed OK with the good card.

One thing I have not tried is using the option in the BIOS settings to disable the onboard video card. I am worried that if I tell him to enable that setting and it does not fix the problem he will be stuck without any video output.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

silentscope864

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
High Tim,

I had a similar problem recently when I installed my 7950. What corrected the issue for me was clearing the CMOS which reset the bios. It was very odd as my old card would work fine when i installed but the 7950 would never post. Sounds like the same issue! I hope this works and good luck :wahoo:

timoteob

Honorable
Jan 16, 2013
Thanks for the suggestions. I had him reset the CMOS and disable the onboard graphics card and still no luck. He called AMD support and they told him the card was defective. So it looks like he is going to RMA it.

Thanks again for the help.