Bizarre overheating problem - virus?

tko_man

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012
Hello,

I have been using a Radeon 5970 for a few years with no problems at all. I recently downloaded a program that I think may have had a virus - it crashed Firefox which is now unrecoverable. While running anti-virus software I noted that the fans on my system were running pretty high - thought it was just using a lot of processor.

No - what is happening is that the card idles at about 55-60 - *as long as I am using the computer* - if I let the mouse idle for about three minutes - a small circle whirs next to my mouse pointer and immediately the GPU starts skyrocketing toward 80+ degrees. A soon as I move the mouse it immediately cools down to 55 and stays that way.

Something is running after about three minutes and I have no clue what it is or what to do. Three separate anti-virus checks say no virus - but could a setting have been altered?

Thanks a lot for anyone who can help on this,

tko_man

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Thanks - turns out a trojan was found in the system by Malwarebytes and confirmed/fixed by an offline/safe mode type program that wiped it out - it was starting some kind of process that was using the GPU and had a profile in Cataylst that had the fans manually turned down.

Nice!