Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Micro Shutter in Games - Page 2

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 4, 2012 1:53:09 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Well the Hyper is 158.5 mm tall, your case is 190 mm wide (tower heatsinks goes in width wise with respect to the case). You should measure with a tape measure from the CPU top and see if you have 158.5mm to spare.

My guess is YES. Since you have a 120mm fan at the rear, and the width is fairly substantial, the Hyper 212 should fit. For safe measures, I'd strongly recommend measuring that distance I mentioned though.

Afterwards you can run Intel CPU Burn http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBurnTest.shtml and see what your temperatures are like with the heatsink and whether or not your CPU is throttling.

Please tell me how can i know if the CPU is throttling when i run the Intel Burn Test???

I mean is there any log that i need to read or anything that suggests throttling?

Thank you
Score
a c 105 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
December 4, 2012 2:06:18 AM

sunnyrokxx said:
AMD HD 5770 is no way a "Low end thrash Video card"

Yes it is not the fastest, values in the low to mid range. But it is still a good card.

Far cry 3 recommended GFX card is 5770. So the card will still do if not ultra but certainly run most games in High settings.

In my case, the 5770 might be failing and may be it's time to upgrade. But it could also be the HEAT in the processor.

All I am trying to say is the 5770 is not the weakest card. I am using it. I know

if you know how to read read this.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...
Score
December 4, 2012 2:24:45 AM

Maxx_Power said:
Well the Hyper is 158.5 mm tall, your case is 190 mm wide (tower heatsinks goes in width wise with respect to the case). You should measure with a tape measure from the CPU top and see if you have 158.5mm to spare.

My guess is YES. Since you have a 120mm fan at the rear, and the width is fairly substantial, the Hyper 212 should fit. For safe measures, I'd strongly recommend measuring that distance I mentioned though.

Afterwards you can run Intel CPU Burn http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/IntelBurnTest.shtml and see what your temperatures are like with the heatsink and whether or not your CPU is throttling.

Please tell me how can i know if the CPU is throttling when i run the Intel Burn Test???

I mean is there any log that i need to read or anything that suggests throttling?

Thank you
Score
Related resources
December 4, 2012 2:41:04 AM

swifty_morgan said:
if you know how to read read this.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/far_cry_3_graphics...

Hey there i do know how to read. But if u do and have read my previous reply to you.

You would understand that i know about the card's limitations. It could be the problem, or may not.

For now i have to get the cooler and see if overheating CPU was the problem.

If not like i said before i can get the AMD HD 7850 2Gb Oc edition.

Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 12:22:36 PM

sunnyrokxx said:

Thank you

You can use CPU-Z (free, just google it). Use the graphing option (or logging option) to see what the CPU speed is at. Leave CPU-Z running (and HWMonitor too, or whatever you use to gather temperature data on the CPU), and start Intel Burn Test. You should be able to see the temperature and speed of the CPU from the two programs (whatever you use for temperature and CPU-Z for clocks).

Leave it running Intel Burn Test for say, 20 rounds of extreme stress (most ram). First look at the Intel Burn Test to see what the calculated performance is for your CPU per cycle of test (in Gigaflops or Gflops). This number should stay the same (nearly so, certainly no more than a decimal's worth in variation) between runs. If it decreases, or doesn't stay consistent, the CPU is throttling (or VRM throttling). Then check the CPU-Z logs to see if it recorded changes in CPU frequency (and look at the CPU frequency graph too). Then check the HWmonitor (or whatever you use) for max temps, to see if the CPU actually reached a very high temperature (CPU throttle), or if the VRMs reached a high temperature (VRM throttle).

OR:

You can try OCCT (free, google this too) and it has a built in Linpack similar to the Intel Burn Test (the non-OCCT CPU burn option). By default, OCCT also generates graphs as you finish the test, so this is really handy. After a few hours of OCCT-linpack burn test, look at the output graph for the CPU Speed, you'll see dips on the graph if the CPU was throttled during a test. Compare this graph to the graph OCCT generates for CPU load (because you want to see at 100% load the CPU doesn't throttle, at lower %'s it doesn't matter, as OCCT gradually increases the work load to 100% per cycle, then repeats itself). OCCT also generates voltage graphs and temperatures, so you can look at those too.

This is a little more automated than the 1st suggestion.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 12:25:39 PM

Oh, and to chip in, the HD 5770 is between the HD 7750 and HD 7770 in performance. It is not slow, especially since you said you game at 1366X768. If anything, frame rates due to game scene changes does not look like micro-stutter, they look like this (in Battlefield 3 multi-player, so CPU intensive):

And the stratification of performance of the HD5770, HD7750 and HD7770 (in Battlefield 3 single-player, so GPU intensive):

Score
December 4, 2012 1:12:23 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Oh, and to chip in, the HD 5770 is between the HD 7750 and HD 7770 in performance. It is not slow, especially since you said you game at 1366X768. If anything, frame rates due to game scene changes does not look like micro-stutter, they look like this (in Battlefield 3 multi-player, so CPU intensive):

http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1352691741F74TQBhKZT_4_2_l.png
http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1354536281d5FMDGIb5r_5_2_l.gif

And the stratification of performance of the HD5770, HD7750 and HD7770 (in Battlefield 3 single-player, so GPU intensive):

http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph5541/44249.png

Thank you for the detailed explanation. Very helpful.
Score
December 4, 2012 1:21:48 PM

quilciri said:
I've a sneaking suspicion cooldude didn't read the entire thread before posting :) 

Go with the evo unless case space forces you to go with a slim. While we're on the topic, make sure to measure the space in your case before buyign a cooler, especially tower coolers like the 212 to make sure they'll fit.

good luck!

Alright as per you suggestion i got the Coolermaster Hyper 212 today (skipped office).

Here are the temperature results:

Idle temp: 35-37 C (Cool & Quite enabled)
100%Load with prime: 58-60 C

The temps look good to me!!
Haven't actually played a game yet. But i'll post the results soon.

I couldn't play BF3 yet. There is 3.5GB update, it sucks, horrible timing for the update.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 4, 2012 5:10:28 PM

sunnyrokxx said:
Alright as per you suggestion i got the Coolermaster Hyper 212 today (skipped office).

Here are the temperature results:

Idle temp: 35-37 C (Cool & Quite enabled)
100%Load with prime: 58-60 C

The temps look good to me!!
Haven't actually played a game yet. But i'll post the results soon.

I couldn't play BF3 yet. There is 3.5GB update, it sucks, horrible timing for the update.

Those are decent temps, especially for a Phenom II 970BE. The Hyper 212 is doing its job, I think.

Any numbers you have recorded for GPU temps ? You can use OCCT for that too.
Score
December 4, 2012 7:25:27 PM

Ok define me microstutter then if those 2 ddin't fix ur issue.Do you get freezes and fraps shows FPS drop?Microstutter means fraps will show solid 60 but game will feel jerky.
Score
December 5, 2012 1:28:40 PM

Maxx_Power said:
Those are decent temps, especially for a Phenom II 970BE. The Hyper 212 is doing its job, I think.

Any numbers you have recorded for GPU temps ? You can use OCCT for that too.

The GPU Idles at 34 C
While playing taxing games 55-60 C
I have an additional cooler master fan in the cabinet that blows air directly to the GPU :) 

I'll post the gaming results in few hours after i reach home from office. I am really hoping not to see any lag/micro stuttering in games. Let's see.

Score
December 5, 2012 3:46:36 PM

OK moment of truth!!

Here are the results

BF3-Multiplayer : No lag/Micro stuttering, constant 50-60 FPS High Settings.

Hitman Absolution : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

MOHWF-Multplayer : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

FarCry 3 : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

NFSMW 2012 : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

I AM SOOOOOOOO VERY THANKFUL to Everyone who helped me in achieving this.

Max CPU temp while gaming 55 C.

This has been a very successful thread lot of learning and experience.

Once again I am very thankful to you all. Amazing!!!!

You guys just saved me $315 from buying a HD 7850, while i was unaware or ignorant about my CPU temps. While an investment of $40 for the Hyper 212 was the ultimate solution.

Man i am so happy.

My early Christmas present :) 

You guys ROCK!!!!

Score
December 5, 2012 3:52:35 PM

Special Thanks to:

Maxx_Power: Best answer
quilciri: Best answer
jessterman21: Best answer

And all others who helped me in this.
Score
December 5, 2012 3:54:20 PM

Best answer selected by sunnyrokxx.
Score
a b U Graphics card
December 5, 2012 10:02:00 PM

sunnyrokxx said:
OK moment of truth!!

Here are the results

BF3-Multiplayer : No lag/Micro stuttering, constant 50-60 FPS High Settings.

Hitman Absolution : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

MOHWF-Multplayer : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

FarCry 3 : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

NFSMW 2012 : No lag/Micro stuttering, smooth gameplay.

I AM SOOOOOOOO VERY THANKFUL to Everyone who helped me in achieving this.

Max CPU temp while gaming 55 C.

This has been a very successful thread lot of learning and experience.

Once again I am very thankful to you all. Amazing!!!!

You guys just saved me $315 from buying a HD 7850, while i was unaware or ignorant about my CPU temps. While an investment of $40 for the Hyper 212 was the ultimate solution.

Man i am so happy.

My early Christmas present :) 

You guys ROCK!!!!

That is REALLY good to hear! Hopefully that's the end of all of your problems. Have some great joy gaming!
Score
      • 2 / 2
!