Sign in with
Your question

Problem with Windows 7 and Cisco Linksys Router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
January 13, 2012 12:12:36 AM

I am currently on a Windows 7 computer that has a router and modem hooked up to it. In the other room, my sister has her own computer (windows xp) that is connected with a wireless D-Link USB adapter. On my computer, whenever I am gaming, I often disconnect after having bad audio with a lot of static heard through Skype and the In-game noises. I then have to restart my entire computer before everything is back to normal and no more disconnecting occurs. When both me and my sister are connected at the same time and I am gaming, I disconnect constantly, and even after the restart, I am still disconnecting. What is the problem? Is it the router? It is a Cisco Linksys E1200.

Also, I have tried only using the modem (wired connection) and not the router and I am still experiencing the same problems. What part of my computer can be at fault?

Thanks!!
January 16, 2012 12:30:14 AM

So i have a few questions for you, go ahead and copy my post and put your answers right below my questions please:

1: So your computer starts to go wacky with static/audio followed by losing your connection to the game/network/internet, Does it only and always happen in this order or does your computer sometimes get disconnected without having the audio feedback issue?

2: When you get disconnected, Is your sister able to get back online or have you been restarting her computer to get it back as well?

So for troubleshooting purposes, please use only the physical plug and no wireless to test this as it will help to eliminate one source of a potential problem. Also if you can temporarily hook up your sisters computer to the router directly as well it would be great.

So i'm curious to if your computer is losing its IP address, SO please open up a command prompt by clicking on the Start button and typing in "CMD" (Without the quotes) into the search box followed by enter and then a black box pops up. Now type in "ipconfig" (again without quotes) followed by the enter key and you will get results somethign like this:

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

C:\Users\XeonStation>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : GUTZLAN.local
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : XX##::X###:####:XX##:##XX%##
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.20.70
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.10.20.10

|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
Your IP address will look more like 192.168.1.100 with a gateway of 192.168.1.1. So anyway check this out when your computer is connected to the internet and working just fine. Then do the same thing after your computer gets disconnected, If your results are different then this is obviously going to be the problem and we can move ahead from this point. IF your computer does not have a proper IP address (Which is given out from your router) then you will have an "autoconfiguration" address that may look similar to this image:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/attachments/networking-n...

So first off let us know if this is what happens. Also look for any other signs such as your computer saying the cable is unplugged/disconnected.

When your computer gets disconnected, does your sisters computer get disconnected at the same time?

3: Are the lights on the router different than they are at other times? such as all the lights on or off or flashing in a manner that is not "normal"?

Let us know and get back
m
l
!