Sign in with
Your question

GTX 550 Ti Problem...

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2012 2:43:29 PM

Hi all, I've recently been having trouble with my PC while playing games. While playing near enough any new gen game (Hitman Absolution, NFS MW or Farcry 3) my screen will turn black during the session and will turn back in roughly 3 seconds. The screen will then just turn white after the third or fourth time. I've really had enough of this as it happens way too often.
My specs:
Intel Core i7 870
8GB DDR3 RAM
Nvidia GeForce GTX 550 Ti (EVGA Overclocked)
460 W PSU (HP custom brand I think)
1.5 TB Hard drive

Thanks and the drivers are at 306.97 :D 

More about : gtx 550 problem

a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 2:54:56 PM

The PSU is probably getting old as the Power required to run these games is much higher than before, with the GTX 550 ti getting maxed out and the i 7 being put to heavy use. Also, have you recently upgraded to a GTX 550 ti, if so, then the PSU wasn't made to run it in the first place then.

I recommend going for a 500W + PSU (for future upgrades) from these brands-

Antec
XFX
Seasonic
Silverstone
Corsair

Hope this helps and Happy Gaming!
December 2, 2012 2:59:01 PM

Thanks, yeah I recently put it in. Are you sure it would be the PSU?
Related resources
December 2, 2012 2:59:21 PM

And is a PSU hard to install? I'm 15 and it looks quite complicated.
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 3:04:43 PM

bazz10 said:
And is a PSU hard to install? I'm 15 and it looks quite complicated.

LOL no, I used to do it when I was 11, in fact, its one of the easier things to install ;) 

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I recently put it in. Are you sure it would be the PSU?

Absolutely, the PSU's from prebuilt desktops are at the bare minimum for their system, so that it is cheaper (actually for profit). And their systems are not made for adding new parts.

Happy Gaming!
December 2, 2012 3:06:55 PM

DAMMIT!, which one would you recommend for value for money?
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 3:20:04 PM

bazz10 said:
DAMMIT!, which one would you recommend for value for money?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is cheap and good for your build. If you want a good modular one, you might need to spend more $$$. Also 600W is alot, you can find the 500W models too if its too expensive (but this is recommended for SLI)
December 2, 2012 5:51:37 PM

Ravyu said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is cheap and good for your build. If you want a good modular one, you might need to spend more $$$. Also 600W is alot, you can find the 500W models too if its too expensive (but this is recommended for SLI)

go with ravyu's suggestion ,I have one and I'm even running it 24 hours sometimes lol :kaola:  no problems or whatsoever ;) 
!