Triple display without Nvidia SLI

robo94

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
So i have three 20"+ monitors. I also have a EVGA GTX 570 in my computer and would like to have 3 monitors running. I have heard that if I put in another graphics card that it could support the third monitor. How exactly would this work? The graphics processing power would come from the 570 right? The cheap nvidia card i have is a 9400 gt. Thanks.

Solution
Performancewise, the loss of performance would be due to the extra pixels to render. I believe all rendering would still be done on the 570, but parts of the image will be sent to which ever monitor it is located on.

BlueShiftXD

Honorable
Dec 2, 2012

Oh, for that. I'm fairly positive that you will require another card(Same one you have)

As long as you just want the use the monitor as an extended desktop, you can add any old graphics card to support the 3rd monitor, but in order to run in 2D surround mode, where you game across all 3 monitors as if they are 1, then you need SLI or a 600 series card. AMD cards starting with the 5000 series can do this too, though one monitor has to be connected with an active displayport connection.

robo94

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

So stretching my planetside 2 windows across this third window would not change performance? all the gpu performance would come from the gtx 570?

Like I said, you cannot run a single 570 and game across 3 windows. I don't believe Nvidia supports 2 window gaming.

robo94

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

I can already run planetside 2 on two monitors with my gtx 570

Im talking windowed mode here. Not fullscreen surround gaming.

I have three monitors, the middle and right one are currently being ran by a gtx 570. If i put my 9400 gt in and connect the 3rd left monitor to it would it work? Could i drag my planetside 2 window across to the third monitor without a decrease in performance?

It may actually work. The problem is getting Planet side to allow you to stretch to the dimensions that 3 monitors would give. If it let you stretch it to the dimensions of 2 monitors, I see no problem with 3.

robo94

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

Thankyou!
Ill set this up later this month(after xmas) when i get the time, Maybe ill get a picture of it haha. Thankyou for your time, I appreciate the response!