January 16, 2013 9:06:20 PM

Hello, few days ago I got my new PC ... so for first, there is a specs:

M/B: ASRock Z777 Pro 4
CPU: Intel I7 3770k 3.5GHz
GPU: Sapphire AMD/ATI Radeon HD7850 2GB
RAM: Kingston 8GB DDR3 1333MHz
PSU: OCZ 750W ZS
SSD: Intel 330 Series SSD 120GB 2.5" SATAIII

Everything is on stock , nothing overclocked ...

... okey, I just wanted to ask, if there is problem with that , or not , that I m running games kinda shitty , for example in games:

*GTA IV - Very High settings, FPS 25-40 maybe, Average 30
- High settings, FPS 25-50 , Average 35 maybe
- On little bit less settings FPS 30-50 , but still , games runs kinda heavy and no pleasure to play it really ...
*NFS MW (2012) - Almost the same as in GTA IV , runs heavy, laggy, even in lowest settings, still lags ...

... and there is more games, but kinda no point telling so long, you get it .

So where could be the problem ? Is my graphics card too shitty or what ? I get all newest drivers, and in driver options, everything is default, because I don't understand much about those settings.

If the problem is in my GPU, does buying another card like that and making them crossfire would help allot ? Or I should next time just prefer a NVIDIA GPU ... I also have only two GPU slots in my M/B , so it would be crazy, if i would buy another card like that and after a few months again run bad some game .

And one more question ... Why people are OC their CPU, if its like mine -its never in full use almost, and if i would overclock it, would i run some games better or what ? (obv i would not do it with my stock CPU fan)
And about OC GPU, i know its help allot for gaming ... so maybe you could assist me some cooling options for my GPU , because i dont know almost anything about it .

TY allot guys for readings this ... hoping for solution in this :)  CY'a

More about : graphic card

January 16, 2013 9:15:59 PM

Your GPU is probably the issue. A 7950 or 7970 would have been a stronger choice as far as graphics power. You could easily XFire another 7850 and get better performance, but you may also encounter the dread micro-stutter.

You wouldn't see a whole lot of improvement in FPS from O/Cing your CPU, but you would see some. It would depend on the game and how much clock speed you were able to get.
January 16, 2013 9:32:17 PM

JMer806 said:
Your GPU is probably the issue. A 7950 or 7970 would have been a stronger choice as far as graphics power. You could easily XFire another 7850 and get better performance, but you may also encounter the dread micro-stutter.

You wouldn't see a whole lot of improvement in FPS from O/Cing your CPU, but you would see some. It would depend on the game and how much clock speed you were able to get.

TY for your answer pal :) 

There is the thing, I just got this PC few days ago , and it would be a big waste of money if I would now just buy another GPU , like HD 79xx ... If I would buy another HD 7850 , make them crossfire and OC both with some nice cooling system, or with default fans (if thats fine) ... would I be good to play those games without problems ? Or any new games at least for a next half year ?
( no need to answer if you dont know :)  )
Related resources
January 16, 2013 9:41:25 PM

No, crossfire wouldn't get you much more performance. Those are mid range cards. You really want something like a 7870 or 7950.

Your rig is pretty unbalanced. An i7 is no better in games than an i5 and that money could have been spent on a better GPU.

The best advice is to live with the 7850 and then save up and get something new when the 8xxx line of cards come out later this year.
January 16, 2013 9:49:53 PM

tiny voices said:
No, crossfire wouldn't get you much more performance. Those are mid range cards. You really want something like a 7870 or 7950.

Your rig is pretty unbalanced. An i7 is no better in games than an i5 and that money could have been spent on a better GPU.

The best advice is to live with the 7850 and then save up and get something new when the 8xxx line of cards come out later this year.

I guess I haven't really noticed that before - that CPU is not so much important in gaming, but graphics card is ... :/ 

Now I know , ty
January 16, 2013 10:02:10 PM

That's very true, but it's not even what he's saying.

The only difference between an i7 and an i5 is that the i7 has hyperthreading... which games don't use. (The ones that claim to actually run faster with it disabled.)

So an i5 is by far the better option, and is $100 cheaper... which you could have put towards your graphics card. (And if you think about it, it makes sense - of course games need a powerful graphics card, with the amount of rendering they have to do.)

Is this a prebuilt? If so, I'd SERIOUSLY consider returning it and building one of your own. Not only will you get better performance for the price, but we can help you rectify any mistakes you've made in terms of what sort of parts you need.
January 16, 2013 10:11:40 PM

DarkSable said:
That's very true, but it's not even what he's saying.

The only difference between an i7 and an i5 is that the i7 has hyperthreading... which games don't use. (The ones that claim to actually run faster with it disabled.)

So an i5 is by far the better option, and is $100 cheaper... which you could have put towards your graphics card. (And if you think about it, it makes sense - of course games need a powerful graphics card, with the amount of rendering they have to do.)

Is this a prebuilt? If so, I'd SERIOUSLY consider returning it and building one of your own. Not only will you get better performance for the price, but we can help you rectify any mistakes you've made in terms of what sort of parts you need.

Nah, they already delivered it to me ... its my first build, and I m not the best in PC's, so yeah , I guess I made a fail ...
... but I would be happy to hear what you have to say about it, what you would change and why ...

I get that I7 , because I thought that it will maybe be / stay good for a long time :) 

ty pal for reply very much !
January 17, 2013 2:49:26 AM

The i7 will last you a long time. Always remember that gaming is about 90% GPU and 10% CPU, game depending. I have an i3 and a 7870 and I can max skyrim. Your i7 and 7850 would only be able to run it on high.

When it comes to a gaming computer you are only as good as your GPU. The problem with many prebuilts is that they skimp on the GPU and make you think you got a good deal by sticking an overkill CPU in there you won't ever use.

Now you know and have knowledge for the future.
January 17, 2013 3:17:31 AM

the biggest issue here is gta4, i got a gtx 660ti and a i5 2500 and go from 60 to 40 and somethimes 35fps. gta4 is a demanding game, thus goes to say it also requires a nice chunk of graphics to run.

ud prob get more performance with a new gpu, also theres gta4mods to increase ur fps.

January 17, 2013 3:34:00 AM

Don't Crossfire 7850s because your motherboard is weak and not designed for it. You would be running your second 7850 on a "x4 mode" not "x16" so there would be a big performance loss in the second 7850.

Best option is to return the 7850 or sell it for a small loss. Then buy a 7950 or 660ti.
January 17, 2013 3:38:54 AM

i second that envy :) 

January 17, 2013 10:04:33 AM

I do agree that 7850 is not the best gpu out there but its certainly not a bad one.. gta 4 is not a well ported game so you can't blame the gpu for that.. it should run most of the games at med to high settings just fine.. getting an i5 and 7870 would have been better for gaming but you should get more than than low settings with a 7850..
January 17, 2013 5:26:56 PM

Ty guys for answers ...

... so my M/B is also not the best?

I m looking at ATI HD 7950 now ... What you guys think about that card ?
Is it worth it to chance my card to that one ?
And also later, if i will decide to buy another card and make them crossfire, i should change my M/B for best performance right? Every thing else would do it , like PSU ?

Or its better just to wait for now till HD 8xxx series will come out ?

Ty in advance guys !
January 17, 2013 5:30:59 PM

ur motherboards fine,

it supports crossfire.

and is of good build quality.

heres a nice 7950 i recommand:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

quite good for the price.

ur powersupply is fine for a crossfire :) 

just for example:

this build with 2x7950s, 3 hard-drive, only takes 611 watts.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y62e
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y62e/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/y62e/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G41 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($36.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 240GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($189.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($77.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($340.41 @ eCost)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card (CrossFire) ($340.41 @ eCost)
Case: Zalman Z9 ATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Pro 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($155.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1566.67
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-17 14:36 EST-0500)

Estimated Wattage: 611W

January 17, 2013 6:11:08 PM

Thank you very much pal, ... that card from newegg is with so good price :o 

But i live in Latvia, do they ship it to Latvia ? If yes, i will buy it for sure !

Thanks
January 17, 2013 6:53:27 PM

lets see.

what website do u know from latvia i could use to help u? and ur budget in euros.

!