Sign in with
Your question

Difference between EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW and Classified?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Geforce
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2012 3:28:21 PM

Hi, I'm working on building my first computer which will mainly be for gaming, recording with camtasia and fraps and editting/uploading

I'm pretty set on my graphics card which will either be a EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4gb or classified 4gb, but I'm not sure on what the difference between the two is.

could anyone please explain the difference between these two cards and let me know which one is better/more suited to my needs, i probably won't be overclocking anything on the computer and i'll be using a ASRock Z77 Extreme6/32gb (4x8gb) G.skill ripjaws X series DDR3 1866 memory unless someone knows something i should be using instead.

More about : difference evga geforce gtx 680 ftw classified

January 20, 2013 1:25:33 PM

felixx said:
Hi, I'm working on building my first computer which will mainly be for gaming, recording with camtasia and fraps and editting/uploading

I'm pretty set on my graphics card which will either be a EVGA GeForce GTX 680 FTW 4gb or classified 4gb, but I'm not sure on what the difference between the two is.

could anyone please explain the difference between these two cards and let me know which one is better/more suited to my needs, i probably won't be overclocking anything on the computer and i'll be using a ASRock Z77 Extreme6/32gb (4x8gb) G.skill ripjaws X series DDR3 1866 memory unless someone knows something i should be using instead.

the difference froe what i know is that the FTW has a lower clock speed 1084mhz and a 8 + 6 pin connectors with a backplat
the classified has a high clock speed 1111mhz and 8 + 8 pin onnectors and no backplat
so i woud say the classified can over clock better than the FTW becuase you can get more power
to the card do to the 8+8 vs 8+6 f the FTW

hope this will help you
a b U Graphics card
January 20, 2013 11:19:45 PM

Or you could get a 7970 since it is a far better buy.
Related resources
January 24, 2013 11:44:42 AM

I didn't try both but from what I see the backplate in means better cooling since it is over clocked and so it consume more power.

in real life, the minor differences between the 2 are nothing to the naked eye! you can't notice the difference between 80FPS and 75FPS ! so between the 2 EVGAs my recommendation is to go with the best to meet your budget.

Regarding the more 2GB ram it is more important to have a faster memory than a bigger memory, that's why the 680 GTX 2GB is better than the 7970 3GB, the memory doesn't help here even if you go for higher resolution, it's a marketing thing, nothing more.

Also you might consider the Gigabyte 680GTX 2GB (GV-N680OC-2GD)‚Äč since it is silent and have better cooling.

good luck.
a b U Graphics card
January 24, 2013 8:16:40 PM

The 680 isn't really better than a 7970 ghz. They are about on par and the 7970 is far more overclockable.
January 31, 2013 12:41:19 AM

If you had $1200 to throw at two graphics cards, which would you guys get in the 7970 lineup and which in the 680 lineup? And are they watercoolable?
January 31, 2013 4:49:02 AM

lt_dan_zsu said:
These for 7970
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I don't know what I would do for the 680. I feel like 2gb might bottleneck. But I also feel like paying so much for a card of that speed is a waste of money.

lt_dan_zsu: Interesting... I actually bought 2 of the above graphics cards and two of the MSI Twin Frozr 4GB cards. My interest is in seeing which is better, and then returning the one that isn't. Do you have a particular knowledge of which is actually the better card? All the reviews I read on the Vapor-X mentioned that it was more difficult to overclock than the MSI Lightning, so I thought I'd do some 680 comparisons. Which is actually better?

This is the card I have 2 of: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I also have two of this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

!