Need help getting a system together

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
So my main system i just upgraded to a 3570k and a z77-extreme6 motherboard... this leaves my motherboard and cpu which i could sell but i decided not too just because i decided that i wanted to use this motherbaord and cpu(ga-970a-uds, fx-8120) and just overclock the hell out of it and try to experiment on it... this said i need a PSU, hard drive, cpu cooler(lets say hyper 212+), RAM(4-8is fine as well as 1333mhz is also fine), case, GPU(thinking of something like a 7770 or something like that)and a dvd reader

Try to keep it as absolutely low as possible because i already have the motherboard and cpu... thank you in advance :D

camohanna

Distinguished
This would be the way to go?

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZM7
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZM7/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/xZM7/benchmarks/

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: XFX Radeon HD 7770 1GB Video Card ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($51.52 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: XFX 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $363.46
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-01-16 21:19 EST-0500)

EDIT: Plus a Lite-On or similar $20 DVD Reader

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
ok yeah i like it, do you think i need 650w i mean i know im overclocking but im just not sure if i need 650... I dont know if i need 1TB probably like 500gb or so...

ok yeah i will boot off a usb though i already have the disk... if push comes to shove i can always just temporarily use the dvd reader i have in my main build(gtx 670, 3570k, z77-extreme6, 8gb ram, 1tb caviar black, 850w, haf 912)

also is there any case thats cheaper but will still do the job? i want to keep the price as low as possible because i have a low budget(well it takes a while to get cash) and the lower the better.

G

really?
:eek:
that a bit of overkill . . .its not like the 7770 is an overclocking beast as the 7870 or 7950.

if you want cheap get a $40 HD 6450 and ~$35 corsair CX430 and overclock that FX to your heart's content. if you want to see what difference in gaming that would make then get a antec neo eco 520 for $55 and pull the 670 out of your main rig while having the HD 6450 for "toy time".

get the cheapest case you can find and keep the sides off of it, since you'll have your hands in it quite a bit any how. i dumster dive for mine since i only care about having a motherboard tray and enough clearance from the hard drive rack for my D-14 and GTX 570.

most likely all you need is an OS and what ever benchmarking tools you'll use, no need for more than a 250Gb hard drive. but get good RAM; that will help getting better results with "playing around"

cheers.
btw, i am assuming that silver badge means you know where/how to find this stuff . .

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
I have the silver badge because i help with problems like computer not starting, locking up, etc etc look at some older postes that are saying computer not posting and there is a high chance i answered(i kinda slacked the past month with finals and all but im getting back into it) :p but for good overclocking affordable components im a bit of a noob.

one question so how good performance can i get with the 6450(by this i mean how far can it overclock?) what do you mean by FX?

I like looking at the case and i have people running around dont want to accidentely break the computer :p so i think a haf912 or CM elite430 should do the job

I have and OS though the key is out i have gotten microsoft to give me a new code 3 times so i think im good :D

also thanks for the reply :D

You wont find any dedicated full cover blocks for the 7770, its too low end to support. Maybe a universal block, but that brings issues of its own to the table.
And why would you want to water-cool it? Chances are the block will end up costing 2/3 as much as the card and its not like it runs hot.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

well it will when i overclock it as far as it will go(also maybe mod it a little to make it go faster)

G

i understand its a bit easier/different to be B.A.s helping with troubleshooting than build suggesting - much less stressing too since folks can get all egotistically with system build suggestions . .which i have been guilt of myslef. though i figured you'd have the knowledge from hanging around here to go to pcpartpicker, select what componient you are interested in and sort by price . . eh?
(give a man a fish you feed him for a day but, teach him to fish . . . his breath smells)

i am sorry if i am misunderstanding you; you seem to not want to spend much money for a "toy rig" but i really think some of your thinking is a bit too costly; though some of it, like not needing a 1TB hard drive, is spot on.

do you want a graphics card for overclocking potenial also? i must have failed to understand that, my bad. if you do then forget the 6450; i doubt a gpu that gets all of its power from the PCI slot will have any stunning difference.

really might help if you can give a ballpark number for a budget . . .

(pssst FX is your cpu; FX-8150 i might have not been clear about it, i'll blame an unnoticed typo . .)

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

its not easier than suggesting build, I help fix problems and it is diffinetely not easier i can learn how to show people components much easier then learning how to fix your computer not booting... oh an nice little quote :p
note: I just recently started using pc-picker never even knew that was there

yeah i changed my mind i realized water cooling is a bit to expensive so yeah probably 250-500

yeah i want a graphics card that has overclocking potential and when overclocked there is a difference instead of a really bad card that plays minecraft at 15fps overlocked 25.... well it was a 66% increase :p

honestly my ballpark is 200-300 this money could also go to a second 670 but i feel like having fun and actually testing my system and try new things like modding my graphics card and konw that if it dies i didnt just throw away $500

It is a 8120

G

i'll make a graphics card suggestion. go to ebay and pick up a $60 550ti and DO NOT install any driver past 296.xx - the driver released since kepler will throttle that card so it won't go past 999Mhz. - been there, done that and didn't "see it" until i was running furmark - nothing esle "reported it". you can google for verification.

burn up the card, not a big loss . . . see what it takes to push it.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

sounds like a good idea... are you able to modify the cards integrity to make it overclock farther? i heard you could do that and i know its true just don't know how yet

G

i didn't get too far overclocking/tweaking my EVGA 550ti SuperClock (got somewhere around 1050/60ish on the core and don't remeber the memroy settings) before i found a cheap $160 gtx 570 so then it ended up in my x4 slot for physX. swapping drivers between the new and old is a PITA let alone removing the 570 to put the 550ti in the x16 slot - the 570 can't go past 886 on the core so i am not worried about the 3XX.XX drivers throttling it.

i didn't get around to seeing if i could flash the BIOS, i never adjusted the voltage much, so it astill had plenty of room. still i could get bored one day though really need a full weekend . .actually i am looking at it now and wondering about making some coffee . . :lol:

(NO i need to get some sleep tonite!!)

helenwicox1

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
It'll save you a little.
27.jpg