BSOD cant find whats wrong

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Hello dear helpers on tom's hardware.
Today i got some new computer components.

I got a 520 watt power supply,
the new hardware ( XFX R7770 dual fan)
8GB of memmory
windows 7 64 bit. ultimate
AMD A8-3870 APU (bios version 04.06.04)

Before i had the new graphics card i used the onboard HD6600 and the computer would sometimes crash ( i thought it was because of overheating) so i allso installed a new cooler for my CPU.

Now after installing the new graphics card. clearing the old drivers with drive sweeper and installing new ones. I get BSoD's

There is no header in the BSOD. but here is the bug check code:
0xa0000001
i had 6 BSOD's so far. all with the same code
with bluescreenviewer i caught that the error comes from atikmdag.sys

after again swiping the driver and installing it again. i still get BSOD's caused by atikmdag.sys.

the crash address is always ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0

allso bluescreenviewer says that the first parameter is always 00000000`00000005
and the next ones are all 00000000`00000000

I ran a memtest ( windows ) and it says there are no issues.

I allso checked the temperature before crashes. it never exceeds the 60C so that cant be the issue either.

Can it be that my power supply is just getting old? or is it too weak?

the blue screens happen at random. Though they always happen when i was starting the game tera ( actually, its the only game launched next to audiosurf since i installed it). At first i could game a few minutes. Now it happens as soon as i load the world. I hope you guys can help me with other steps i can take, because i am out of ideas. I searched a lot about the stop code but there is so many different posts about blue screens that i can't possibly go through all of them.

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
update:
i just did a stress GPU test with AIDA64 extreme edition trial.
I turned the fanspeed of the GPU up to 77%. at 55% it reached 52C at 77% fan speed it went down to 51C. I ran it for approx 20 minutes without any issues.

Allso i ran all the tests except for the drive test at once. CPU temperature never reached above 69C, the GPU never reached above 55%. I ran this one for 5 minutes without any problems occuring. i guess my power supply is strong enough?

kazzhul

Honorable
Jul 16, 2012
Could try a more intense graphic test like 3dmark to rule out the overheating. Also try updating your Mobo bios.

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
It is just the fan of the CPU that i replaced and the new graphics card. Is installing a new graphics card enough change for windows to trip over it?

I will sweep the realtek drivers for my sound and then i will get back to you.

can it be just bad luck and do i have to re-install the drivers again? :p
btw. i used the latest drivers from Xfx itself. would an older driver be safer? ( stability and stuff maybe?)

thanks for the answers!

WHITE80

Honorable
Jan 14, 2013

i agree. fresh install windows and then install the proper drivers for everything. backup your data somewhere off of the pc

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Okidoki, luckely i prepared to having a lot of reinstalls... i'll do it tomorow after college. i''ll be back with an update tomorow round 9 i think. Thanks for all the help so far!

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
ok do this

1) are your drivers updated?

2) Try updating your bios
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/308518-30-update-bios

3) How old is this build?

4) Could it be over heating?

5) try running a GPU and CPU stress tester(use seperately) and monitor temps with gpu-z(for graphics card temp) and core temp(for cpu)
GPU

http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

CPU
http://www.numberworld.org/y-cruncher/

GPU-Z
http://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Coretemp
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

5) Could your ram be having issues? run memtest
http://www.memtest.org/

6) Check your hard driver/SSD
-Start menu
-Computer
-Right click main disk(for me it is C
-Properties
-Tools
-Error checker

7) Run burnintest
http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

8) After it crashes run who crashed
http://www.passmark.com/download/bit_download.htm

hope this helps :D

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
update:
first re-installed windows. Error still occured after reboot and installing all drivers again

then i ran the GPU test and GPU-z as Panicmaster said. after about 20 minutes i touched my computer again to throw in a USB so i could flash my motherboard. when it didnt install i clicked on device manager which caused a bluescreen...Though the temperatures of my GPu were quite steady between 56 and 57C with a load of 98%. ( test ran at 36 FPS)

when it rebooted again, i succesfully installed the USB drive then copied the ROM with the BIOS update. rebooted the machine and installed it.

after starting up windows, everytime i touched something, the screen would freeze except for my mouse. Then the screen turned black for half a second, sreen turns on and an error about the AMD display driver not responding and succesfully restarting pops up. this repeated everytime i tried opening a screen, closing a screen or typing something. It allso took a little bit longer everytime, after 9 times i decided to hard reboot.

now im typing this message.
So the problem is not caused by:
temperature, memmory, bios version or a faulty windows install.

next in line:
- running who crashed, see if it gives me other info than bluescreenviewer.
- run burnintest doing the CPU test ( y-cruncher).
- checking hard drive for faults.

other info:
the build itself has parts of over 4 years old ( power supply) but i update my computer part by part instead of complete new systems. The motherboard, memmory and CPU are less than a half year old. the hard drive is now 2 days old and the case and CPU fan are allso 2 days old. the power supply is the only old piece left.

again thanks for all the responses and help. ill update you guys again soon :)

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
i will check for bios changes tomorow.

I just installed the card yesterday. The driver crash issue was something i had with my onboard GPU aswell. ( for my board it has an onboard HD 6600D)

My screen would sometimes go black though this would never happen when the CPU temperature was lower than 60C. Now i got a external card ( the 77700) i do get this issue at a lower temperature than 60C ( as proven by the errors i got after the bios update)

i set the CPU cooler full cycle limit at 45C as opposed to 70C which it was before just to make sure it wasnt an overheating issue ( at this point im sure it isnt).

The GPU is probably standard overclocked since its made by XFXforce. But the cooling allows me to keep it at low temperatures even though it is at full capacity ( as seen by the benchmark tests).

I didn't change any settings for the GPU in the bios. but i will check it just to be sure. I just finished checking the hard disk for errors. When i got back to my computer it was done testing and showed the login screen of windows. i guess this means there weren't any issues because i didn't get any notice after logging in aswell.

Tomorow i will see if i still get BSOD when starting a game like tera, then i'll get back to the forums and tell you guys about it.

Thanks for the list of steps panicmaster!

extra:
at first i thought it might have been a power supply issue, but since i did the benchmark tests i can't stick to this theory anymore. It would be weird if i can run a full CPU and full GPU test at the same time for 5 minutes, but not run a game for 2 minutes ( of which more than 90 seconds in the login screens). I think this means i can rule the Power supply out as to cause of this problem?

racoon

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2012
I would Re install windows to get absolutely sure that it isnt a driver problem. And im pretty sure that its old drivers that are causing it

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
Update:
Now yesterday evening i got a blue screen again, after trying to reboot windows it kept hanging on the loading windows screen. after a hard reboot i got the message for start up repair ( which is normal i guess) i decided that i was done for that day and turned of the PSU with the switch on the back for the night.

Today the computer booted up perfectly again. and i was able to play TERA for 60 minutes... however when i wanted to log onto this forum to tell you guys about it, BAM another blue screen.

i just installed the WhoCrashed program but it really doesn't tell me anything new compared to bluescreenviewer.

these are the reports by the whocrashed program:
its pretty big so i surrounded it with a spoiler tag haha.

Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Fri 1/18/2013 5:39:51 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011813-14991-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x223E2)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0000001 (0x5, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0)
Error: CUSTOM_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmdag.sys
product: ATI Radeon Family
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
description: ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).
Google query: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. CUSTOM_ERROR

On Fri 1/18/2013 5:39:51 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmdag.sys (atikmdag+0x223E2)
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.).

On Thu 1/17/2013 8:19:04 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011713-16676-01.dmp

On Thu 1/17/2013 8:01:57 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\011713-16224-01.dmp

So... Blue screens still occuring at random moments, not when theres just graphic intensity.

i think i finished all the steps on the list of panic master except for the burnin test... when i tried to run it, it stopped responding. i'll try it again in a second.

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
i ran the windows memtest yes. If you want me to try the other memtest i'll try that instead..

I live in dorms and i think I'm the only one here with both a desktop and a laptop as opposed to just a laptop, but i'll try my best to find a replacement PSU.

Thanks for all your help so far, i'll get back to the forums as soon as i find something. Meanwhile i'll try the third party memtest :)

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
By the way, i reset my bios settings to standard and only changed the CPU cooler limit back to 50C because i think it's safer for it to cool at max capacity at 50C than at 70C.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
no thats ok mine runs runs at 70c i recommend you put that back up because if you play games then it will go up and you will bluescreen because of "overheating"

also yeah run memtest through this
http://www.memtest.org/

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
i ran the memtest86 and i had a first pass without any errors, after that i had to check my mail so i stopped testing ;p
A friend of mine is willing to let me test the system with his PSU ( 850 watts) so i'll keep you updated on how that works out.

thanks for all the help so far!

yowkah

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013
well here is another update.
I didnt have a chance to test on another motherboard or PSU yet. but i ran logs from GPU-Z and coretemp.
this is what they said right before a crash:

coretemp last log entry
date and time : 15:29:30 01/24/13
current core-0 temp: 8
lowest measured temp:3
highest measured temp:56
current load:14%
current speed:799.96 mhz

GPUZ last log entry
date and time : 1/24/2013 15:29:32
coreclock : 300
memmory clock: 150