Is my build better than an iMac??

All of my friends say that no but I am pretty sure it is. My computer, with the screen, costed about $1300. Is it better than an equivalent priced iMac??

Specs:
Intel i5 3570k
EVGA geforce gtx 650 ti 1 gb
Asus P8Z77-M
Corsair Vengeance 8 gb 1600 mhz RAM
Corsair CX 600 watt
WD Caviar Blue 1 TB
Samsung Optical Drive (not sure of the model)
Cooler Master Elite 311

Screen: Samsung LED 24 inches SyncMaster T24B350
13 answers Last reply
More about build imac
  1. install an ssd for your OS and use the 1TB drive for storage
  2. 99% of the time any build will better than a mac at the same price
  3. http://www.apple.com/imac/specs/

It better on all accounts.
  4. WHITE80 said:
    install an ssd for your OS and use the 1TB drive for storage

I was going to do that, but i got over my budget. I plan to do it later
  5. Thanks for the replies, however only a few of friends (who are not AppleZombies) admit that mine is better
  6. What's your budget?

For $1300, even including a monitor, I think you should be getting more. That said, it's probably still better than an equivalently priced imac.
  7. Yep, its pretty hard to convince Apple followers that a properly built PC is better.

Your is better on all accounts except for the screen, which is an IPS.
  8. Well, you are still running Windoze. . .but otherwise, Sure!!
  9. manofchalk said:
    Yep, its pretty hard to convince Apple followers that a properly built PC is better.

Your is better on all accounts except for the screen, which is an IPS.

Whats and IPS monitor??, I didn't consider the screen very important.
  10. hapkido said:
    What's your budget?

For $1300, even including a monitor, I think you should be getting more. That said, it's probably still better than an equivalently priced imac.

About the budget, I bought my components at a store (SWS in Tucson) which was more expensive than amazon. With amazon i could have got the i7 and an SSD.

But as a non-US citizen, I had to buy it phisically
  11. Hardware wise 100% better than a mac software wise your pc wont even come close.
  12. gaMOEver said:
    Whats and IPS monitor??, I didn't consider the screen very important.

IPS (In Plane Switching) is a different panel that goes into a monitor vs your standard TN panel. Colours look a lot more vivid, the viewing angles are better compared to a TN, though it costs more and its response times arent as fast.
  13. Yes, the PC is better than an iMac. But PCs are for one type of people and iMacs for another. However you have made a sensible choice in buying a PC as it has expansion and upgrade possibilities; the iMac does not.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems