Sign in with
Your question

Dell Optiplex 740

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
December 2, 2012 5:12:00 PM

I purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 740 for a gift. Need to upgrade the graphics card to somthing capable of letting the boy play his Warcraft game.

Problem is the mini case wont really let me fit anything.

Any chance you guys have any idea what a bare minimum card would be for what Im trying to accomplish. Rather stay away from Radeon.

Currently in the card slot is a Dell card... pretty sure the graphics are onboard though, so not sure why theres a card in the slot. Says Im currently running GeForce 6150 LE.

Need 256mb deidcated video ram.

Thank you :) 

More about : dell optiplex 740

a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 6:07:17 PM

nukifyed said:
I purchased a refurbished Dell Optiplex 740 for a gift. Need to upgrade the graphics card to somthing capable of letting the boy play his Warcraft game.

Problem is the mini case wont really let me fit anything.

Any chance you guys have any idea what a bare minimum card would be for what Im trying to accomplish. Rather stay away from Radeon.

Currently in the card slot is a Dell card... pretty sure the graphics are onboard though, so not sure why theres a card in the slot. Says Im currently running GeForce 6150 LE.

Need 256mb deidcated video ram.

Thank you :) 

maybe s
i guess your best choice would be a low profile card, for wow it would have MORE than enough maybe something like this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

theres a lot of cheaper ones with enough power to play warcraft, also check the power supply of your pc since the one i linked its 450w minimum, but like i said theres plenty to choose from, 300w and up. hope it helps.
m
l
a c 559 U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 6:11:32 PM

Do you have the Desktop version or the Small Form Factor version of the Optiplex 740?

Which AMD CPU do you have?

The best Low Profile Ready graphics card for that system is the Radeon HD 7750. It has much better performance in any game, including World of Warcraft, than any of the GeForce GT 640 low profile cards.

You also need to make sure that the card includes the low profile bracket.

This is the one I recommend:

SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card for $109.99 ($99.99 after $10.00 rebate card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2012 6:18:08 PM

ko888 said:
Do you have the Desktop version or the Small Form Factor version of the Optiplex 740?

Which AMD CPU do you have?

The best Low Profile Ready graphics card for that system is the Radeon HD 7750. It has much better performance in any game, including World of Warcraft, than any of the GeForce GT 640 low profile cards.

You also need to make sure that the card includes the low profile bracket.

This is the one I recommend:

SAPPHIRE 100357LP Radeon HD 7750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Video Card for $109.99 ($99.99 after $10.00 rebate card)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

:o  didnt knew the HD7750 had a low profile edition, nice, i was also looking for something like this :p , best i could find was the 640 i linked before.
m
l
December 2, 2012 6:18:33 PM

I believe that computer has a PCI express x 16 1.0 slot so you could use s 2.0 card but it would be limited.

Also the power supply in that machine would limit which card could be used

and theres also the size of the case to consider...

and I found some cards but they are all radeon. Now is not the time to be picky lol.

Also what is your price range, these older cards have a tendency to pop up in price because of the demand
m
l
December 2, 2012 6:20:44 PM

Haha I spent like 10 minutes researching when there were replies being posted...anyways the 7750 uses about 60 watts max so your good there.

If theres a small form factor even better.
m
l
!