Sign in with
Your question

transfer data from old harddrive

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
January 13, 2002 9:39:35 PM

hi all. can anyone tell me or direct me to a step-by-step guide on how to transfer data from my old hard drive and uplink it to my current PC? I forgot to take some files off there that i really need now. but, the old floppy doesn't work and i'm using the old cdroms in my new system.
many, many thanks!
~bryan in philly
January 13, 2002 10:24:18 PM

first, turn off the new comptuer.
unplug it from the wall.
open the case..
take the old hard drive.
put it in the rack with the new computers hard drive.
take the flat ribbon cable, and plug the connector that is in the middle into the old hard drive. plug in a power connnector into the old hard drive.
make sure that the hard drive is jumpered for cable select or slave. there should be a picture on how to jumper it ON the hard drive, so you might want to do that part before installing it in the new computer.
when everything is hooked up. plug the computer back into the wall, and turn it on. quickly hit delete to go into the bios, and use auto detect to detect the hard drive. when it is done, and shows the hard drive, then save and exit. then let the computer reboot into windows (or other operating system) and then proceed to copying the data from the old hard drive to the new one.
the old hard drive will show up as D: (assuming that your new computer has one hard drive and one partition). copy whatever files you want...and when you are done, just repeat this guide, in reverse...
and you should be ok.
hope that there are no problems!
good luck! :smile:

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-
!