Sign in with
Your question

AT&T U-verse Slow Downloading Speeds

Last response: in Networking
January 7, 2012 5:54:58 PM

I'm paying $33 a month for AT&T U-verse Internet Express which offers 1.5MB downloading speed. Right now, I am getting nothing close to the promised speeds by AT&T. Here are the test...

I called AT&T and they did a test regarding my speed and these were the results.

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/Stubby_Boy/ATT-...

3.37 MBps downloading speed

I did my own test with Speedtest.net

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/Stubby_Boy/Spee...

1.1MBps downloading speed

But... when I download a simple file from the internet, I am getting less than 200KBps!

http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m362/Stubby_Boy/goog...

Screenshot of me downloading firefox web browser.

What is the problem? Can anyone help? Thanks!! I called AT&T and they were no help at all.
January 7, 2012 6:47:29 PM

OK first a bit of clarification -- Internet Express from ATT is a 1.5Mbps service (Notice the small b not Capital B --- 1 (B)yte is equal to 8 (b)its so there is an 8 times difference between the 2 !! So the Plan you signed up for is 1.5Mbps or 0.1875MBps (1.5/8 = 0.1875) !

Then for the download speed iif you are gettting 200 KBps like you mention and 1024 KB = 1 MB then you are currently getting 200/1024 = .195MBps or 1.5625Mbps which is actually a small amount above the connection speed you signed up for !! So there is no problem other than that you signed up for a pretty low end service that is not designed for current high connection speed things like streaming video etc..

And even their description of the various levels of plans specify that it is only good for things like Social networking, downloading music, and sharing photos -- They suggest the DSL PRO series (3.0 Mbps) for Online gaming and the Elite level (6.0 Mbps) if you are streaming videos etc. -- So if you plan to use it for things requiring higher bandwidth you may need to upgrade the service level.

Not sure why you are paying $33 a month for Express though when they offer it for $14.95 and the Elite level is only $19.95 well worth the extra $5 month and $13 less than what you are paying ! ( AT&T service levels and pricing Ad !! ) -- So I'd call and get a better pricing plan if I were you !!
m
l
January 7, 2012 7:42:04 PM

JDFan said:
OK first a bit of clarification -- Internet Express from ATT is a 1.5Mbps service (Notice the small b not Capital B --- 1 (B)yte is equal to 8 (b)its so there is an 8 times difference between the 2 !! So the Plan you signed up for is 1.5Mbps or 0.1875MBps (1.5/8 = 0.1875) !

Then for the download speed iif you are gettting 200 KBps like you mention and 1024 KB = 1 MB then you are currently getting 200/1024 = .195MBps or 1.5625Mbps which is actually a small amount above the connection speed you signed up for !! So there is no problem other than that you signed up for a pretty low end service that is not designed for current high connection speed things like streaming video etc..

And even their description of the various levels of plans specify that it is only good for things like Social networking, downloading music, and sharing photos -- They suggest the DSL PRO series (3.0 Mbps) for Online gaming and the Elite level (6.0 Mbps) if you are streaming videos etc. -- So if you plan to use it for things requiring higher bandwidth you may need to upgrade the service level.

Not sure why you are paying $33 a month for Express though when they offer it for $14.95 and the Elite level is only $19.95 well worth the extra $5 month and $13 less than what you are paying ! ( AT&T service levels and pricing Ad !! ) -- So I'd call and get a better pricing plan if I were you !!

Thanks for the clarification. I plan on switching to something cheaper and that will give me better performance.
m
l
January 7, 2012 7:59:58 PM

reyez said:
Thanks for the clarification. I plan on switching to something cheaper and that will give me better performance.

Yeah the companies like to confuse things with all of the various measurements for the speeds so it can be a bit confusing -- for $33 a month you should be able to find better than a 1.5Mbps service -- we have Att U-verse and pay $45 for 12Mbps download speed which gives us plenty of bandwidth even when all 3 systems are being used.
m
l
!