demonflame5

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
Just took a glance at the new trinity APU's. Seems like they're getting really good reviews and a lot of good performance is coming out of them.

How does it compare to an 8800GT?

I currently have an 8800GT but it's starting to suffer problems and I might need to get a new card or a new PC altogether. If the 7660D is as powerful as the 8800GT then I'd probably consider just getting the A10-5800K and replace it with my Q6600 and 8800GT.

7660D with proper memory (IE dual-channel DDR3-1866 with decent timings) should be ~on par with a reference Radeon 6670 DDR3 with current drivers. Remember, for these GPUs, memory performance is almost everything. The Radeon 6670's GPU and the Radeon 7660D GPU are extremely similar in average gaming performance; the main performance difference between them is almost always sheer memory bandwidth, especially on the Radeon 6670 GDDR5 cards.

Simply saying that you've compared 7660D and HD 6670 doesn't really change anything, Sunius, mostly because you're not giving information on game selection and especially on graphics-related memory and CPUs that were chosen for the comparison.

The 8800 GT is comparable to the 6670 GDDR5, so it goes without saying that the A10-5800K would be a significant downgrade in graphics performance unless you have like DDR3-2800 or better memory, but it isn't anywhere near a 50% performance drop in most situations. It'd be significant, but not huge.

But the question is why on earth a guy with a q6600 with a 8800gt go for a system that will perform about the same, when with the money for that cpu+mobo he can buy a 660 gtx or 7870 that will be 100 times better.
Then latter on switch for the new intel cpus(haswell 2013) and he can put the gfx card on that system.

If OP doesn't care about a significant upgrade in performance, then switching to something that had similar performance and wasn't failing doesn't seem like a bad idea, especially since Kaveri is still set to launch in 2013 and would provide a more cost-effective upgrade (Kaveri is supposed to be compatible with Trinity systems) at the time than going for a much higher end Haswell+ Radeon 7870 or GTX 660 if such a higher end setup isn't desired. It's not without good logic except for the issue with Trinity being a considerable downgrade in graphics performance rather than on-par.

demonflame5

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

It's mainly because I want to replace the parts (and I'm also not using the q6600 to its top potential by not overclocking it).

I just don't feel comfortable using 5 year old parts, and I don't want to be around when it starts to fail.

In addition, the q6600 sells for around $50-70, 8800GT sells for $15-30, mobo sells for $15, and the DDR2 ram sells for $30 (surprisingly, probably because people want more DDR2 RAM but don't want to upgrade their mobos so they have to resort to used). As you can see, after reselling the essentials, the cost of building a new PC with an APU wouldn't be so bad.

Playing contemporary games at low settings with 40-60FPS is good enough for me. They still look great which is why I don't want to go pay excess for something that's considerably more powerful.

You'll be disappointed by it's performance, with the apu it will be barely playable(you'll get framerates even bellow 30fps on low on recent games and i mean at 720p) and for me the apu is not a good solution, either go with a i3-i5 +h77/z77 mobo+7750/7770 or hold and save some money for a better system, the cpu that you have ain't bad it wont bottleneck a 7850 and with that you'll get the framerate that you'll need.
I've seen people with your type of cpu on online games with recent cards and no complains.
Seriously the apu solution is more for htpc than gaming, for gaming it's still not a viable option.
I can bet that you'll have even lower performance in gaming compared with your older parts.

In most modern games, the A10-5800K should not have any trouble in 720p with low settings. For the money, the APU is great. It's a nearly as fast as an i3 gaming CPU paired with approximately a Radeon 6670 DDR3's worth of graphics performance all for the price of an i3. If you want to talk about its graphics being too weak, then I suggest you get some perspective on it and learn how fast it actually is. Also, please realize that the A10-5800K with a Radeon 7750 or 7770 would be approximately as fast as the i3 with it, but much cheaper. I do agree that since OP's CPU is still adequate, it would not be ideal unless OP wanted to change platforms now and upgrade all components later for cheap, but don't exaggerate the situation.

Furthermore, depending on the gaming situation, the Q6600 can still bottle-neck a Radeon 6670 just like a Radeon 7850 and such can bottle-neck say i5-2500Ks with big overclocks in some situations. There are no absolutes when it comes to what CPUs can bottle-neck what graphics cards because it depends on the game, the games settings, and much more.

Also, the Core 2 Quad Q6600, at stock, has inferior performance CPU to the A10-5800K, so the somewhat weaker graphics might actually be offset in many situations by the faster CPU.

Regardless, OP unless you want to change platforms right now, I recommend that you stick with your current CPU. It's still decent and should be able to do the job. A graphics upgrade to say a Radeon 7750 would be a significant improvement over your 8800 GT while using less power (something that is not to be ignored on old power supplies because they wear out over time, so lessening the load can be beneficial to their continued longevity) and wouldn't be very expensive.

jmanusa6

Honorable
Nov 28, 2013
Well the AMD 5800K and 6800K ARE very viable options to PC gaming, especially if your not out to play games at max settings. A AMD 5800k or 6800k APU with 8GB 2133/2400MHz DDR3 (2GB RAM dedicated to graphics) and a decent mobo will allow you to play games like BF3/4, Crysis 2/3, Skyrim, Far Cry 3, Bioshock, Arma III, Call of Duty, Need for Speed, etc... at low/medium settings at 720 to 900p. With a good CPU cooler and overclocking of the CPU/iGPU and RAM you can do medium/high settings 720 to 900p and even 1080p on some games. This is my friends current setup and he is very pleased with it given it cost less than $500. In the future if the APU isn't enough just add a decent video card.