Sign in with
Your question

New build. No video, no beeps.

Last response: in Systems
January 17, 2013 2:55:12 AM

So I recently ordered a barebones kit from tigerdirect with some swapped parts for better. I put it together, had some troubles getting the heatsink on but besides that, all was good.

Then I get it all done and plug it up and get ready to boot it. The first thing I notice is that when I flip the power supply switch it instantly turns on the computer (or what works anyway) with no need to press the power switch on the front. Next thing I notice is there's no beeps, no video and the back fan starts up and lights up but then slowly flutters back t nothing. The CPU fan and front fan continue to spin however.

First thing I tried since there was no video was to remove the video card and just try directly into the motherboard. I get the same results. I try removing one stick of ram, no difference. I then try removing both, to try and hear some beeps. But even with no RAM I hear NO beeps. The motherboard has a built in speaker so that shouldn't be a problem.

I've looked at some threads with similar problems such as no beeps but I find most peoples problems tend to be not connecting the 4 prong CPU plug. Which I did from the start. I'm not sure how they missed it honestly. At first I just concluded it was the motherboard due to there be no beeps but as I read I realized maybe the power supply or other part could also be faulty by some chance.

I notice no matter how I plugged in the front panel plugs (HDD LED, power sw, etc) none of them would work. Except the reset which if pressed when the computer is "on" causes that fan to start up again, but only for as long as the button is pressed.

I know there's a lot of threads like this, but mine has some odd things happening I'm not sure how to search. Any help would be appreciated.

Sucks having a new system as a brick.

More about : build video beeps

January 17, 2013 3:06:48 AM

I'll post system specs if needed.
m
l
January 17, 2013 6:08:50 AM

Sounds like it could be a bad processor as well (instead of the bad motherboard). I assume that you applied the proper thermal paste and cooler before turning it on. How did you go about grounding yourself when you had the case apart and were handling the motherboard?

m
l
Related resources
January 17, 2013 6:11:01 AM

JustinC said:
I'll post system specs if needed.

Yeah, could you do that please?
m
l
January 17, 2013 7:33:08 PM

dragonlord12832 said:
Sounds like it could be a bad processor as well (instead of the bad motherboard). I assume that you applied the proper thermal paste and cooler before turning it on. How did you go about grounding yourself when you had the case apart and were handling the motherboard?

dragonlord12832 said:
Yeah, could you do that please?

Alright, sorry for the late reply. I went to sleep. The HSF had thermal paste preapplied. So that was definitely no worry. I grounded myself by simply keeping contact with the metal lining of the case when dealing with components.

Alright. Here's the specs:

Motherboard: msi 760GM-P23 FX

Processor: AMD FX 4170. 4-core @ 4.2ghz

Video card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650

Power Supply: Ultra Professional LSP 650 watts

m
l
January 17, 2013 8:07:31 PM

I've had this computer fully built in its case just sitting there for about a week now. I really need to make some progress on getting this thing in working order. Especially if I have to ship something which will take a bit.
m
l
January 17, 2013 10:16:07 PM

Bump. From the past threads I've read. I expected a flood of solutions haha.
m
l
January 18, 2013 12:03:04 AM

please guys :( 
m
l
January 18, 2013 2:29:20 AM

Is there a reason there's not many people available to help?
m
l
January 18, 2013 8:26:25 PM

m
l
January 23, 2013 4:03:18 PM

I'll give that a try. But A few of my problems have been personal and unique.
m
l
January 29, 2013 9:48:14 PM

Any suggestions now?
m
l
!