Best card for my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JarvisKong

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Info template from the Sticky:
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better)) BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: USD $150-250) Before / After Rebates
Probably in about 2 months.
I'd say around $250 at maximum.

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: (e.g.: Gaming [and what games you want it to play - a card for WoW only will be much different than one for Crysis or Metro 2033 at full settings], Folding@Home, home theater/watching movies)
Gaming is the primary reason I'm buying the card.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: (e.g., ATI Radeon HD 4850 and Corsair 750TX 750W PSU - without this info, it's really hard to help you)
I currently have a ATI Radeon 4670. Now, this needs explaining: This card is not fit for my system... I essentially had enough money for everything but a new graphics card when I built the PC, so I used this old one.

Power supply is an Antec HCG-620 M (620 Watts).

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: (e.g., make/model of CPU, MoBo, memory - this can help us determine whether or not a given card is compatible with and makes sense for your system. For high-end cards, knowing your case/cooling setup may also be helpful)
Intel Core i-5 2500k @ 3.30ghz
G Skill Ripjaws 4gb DDR3 Memory

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)
Has to be Canadian or a site that ships to Canada. Newegg.ca, ncix.com, tigerdirect.ca, etc.

PARTS PREFERENCES: (e.g., if you will only use ATI cards, want PhysX card, prefer XFX cards over Sapphire cards, etc., tell us)
Leaning towards an Nvidia card due to them supposedly supporting a couple specific games I'm interested in better than AMD cards.

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe
I've never overclocked and wasn't planning on it. No to SLI or Crossfire.
MONITOR RESOLUTION: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)
This one is hard to answer. I currently have an old 1280x1024 but I'll be buying an HD monitor in the next month or two. I don't know which or what model, though.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (e.g.: Need to have better than stock cooling; Want a card with a lifetime warranty; Must run Crysis with full AA on a three-display setup, etc.)
I've seen recommendations (both on forums and from friends) for the GTX 560 ti, the 660 or the 660 ti. Of course, the 660 ti is a bit over my preferred price range. I'm basically posting here not only for card recommendations, but to ask if the 660 (or 660 ti) is a good fit for my system. If it's "too good" and the rest of my parts will just bottleneck, then obviously it would be a bit pointless to get, and I'd rather go with something that matches the rest.

Solution
Your CPU is excellent so no worries about bottle necking, I'd say go for the 7870, they're really the second best value/performance next to the 7850. You could go for a 660 Ti but the small performance increase isn't really worth the extra money. This ones and excellent deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202010

Don't buy a 560 Ti though, they are great cards but at this point in time they're pretty much phased out by the 650 Ti and the 660.

mace200200

Honorable
Your CPU is excellent so no worries about bottle necking, I'd say go for the 7870, they're really the second best value/performance next to the 7850. You could go for a 660 Ti but the small performance increase isn't really worth the extra money. This ones and excellent deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202010

Don't buy a 560 Ti though, they are great cards but at this point in time they're pretty much phased out by the 650 Ti and the 660.

Solution

Ravyu

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012

Look at his name. THAT IS ALL

Seriously, its very hard to recommend a GTX 660 or the ti version to anyone due to their horrible pricing. Like if your looking at a GTX 660, for $10 more you can get the superior HD 7870, and if you go for the GTX 660 ti, for $20 you can get the significantly better HD 7950

Status
Not open for further replies.